overall

RATINGS: 1112   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.23   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
An American Double IPA, packed with over 120 IBU!

OliverG's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
OliverG (276) - Montreal, Quebec, - NOV 16, 2012
16-11-12 From the can (sauf petite quantité pour voir la couleur et le développement de la biere en verre): Jaune-dorée. légèrement trouble, vive effervescence bien répartie, beau filet de mousse blanche recouvrant le produit. Puissant arômes de houblon en premiers lieux suivant de fortes notes de sapins/pins/forêts et en finale des arômes un peu désagréable de passé date, mais qui n’affecte pas le goût (bonne can). Centrée sur le houblon herbacée. Bonne amertume tranchante au départ ,mais qui se laisse désirée par la suite. Corps moyen, texture terreuse, légèrement ronde, asser forte carbonisation, finale légèrement astringente et très herbacée.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
vanelst (124) - AUSTRIA - AUG 27, 2014
First class DIPA. Drank it from the can. Next time I will try to drink it out of a glass. Might be a marketing-gag? Anyway, aroma of grapefruit and tangerine, tropics, malty backbone. Almost perfect symbiosis of (not too) bitter and sweetness. Expensive in Europe, but worth spending bucks on it once in a while.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ScipioA (287) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 26, 2014
The pour (screw you can, I do what I want!) is hazy mango-orange body with a pillow of a tan head that sticks around as long as the beer lasts. Aroma is tropical fruits, orange, some yeast a little alcohol. Flavor is the same only a little bit better and with the addition of bitterness. Tropical fruit continues and is joined by pine. Sweet backing to round things out. Mouthfeel: Perfect. It’s thick and sticky without being too heavy. Just a hint of alcohol warmth and flavor toward the end of a sip. Carbonation feels very fine and refreshing. Totally agree with the hype, this is the best beer I’ve ever had. BUT: quite a few brewers are catching up! I’ve had a couple by my locals and others that are only a few steps and a few points behind. We’ll see if this is still the best in 2015, 2016 and beyond.
My opinion on a few controversies: Can or glass: Definitely glass. When this was first canned I think haze was seen as a flaw when it came to IPAs, thus the brewer wanting you to drink from the can to not see it. In 2014 though all the best IPAs are hazy, so ain’t a problem. Draft or can: Pretty much indistinguishable. On tap it’s served at the right temperature, but you can get the same effect by leaving it out of the fridge for a couple minutes before cracking it open.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JerseyBrew (27) - Hillsborough, New Jersey, USA - AUG 24, 2014
Perfect fresh DIPA as you can get. Everything about this beer is great. Awesome aroma. Great flavor. Perfect amount of body and dry finish. Love it all around ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JohnBeer1964 (1) - - AUG 21, 2014 does not count
A great DIPA, although having tried it both ways, I find that I MUST pour into a glass to truly enjoy. I don’t quite understand the "DRINK FROM THE CAN" reasoning on the label, but I do agree with the description of this beer... Not the biggest, or the most bitter (120 IBU???), but definitely "waves of hoppy goodness". The best Heady Topper I had this summer was on draft because I happened to be in Vermont at the right place at the right time! Insanely drinkable. A session beer for hopaholics only.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Flemocracy (1) - - AUG 21, 2014 does not count
Grapefruit from the first taste till the last drop in the 16 oz. can. Very consistent brew, great quality. The fresher, the better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
suedehead288 (359) - BELGIUM - AUG 21, 2014
2014.08 - gents bierfestival (uit blik) - geelkleurig troebel, wit schuim - neus : geurbom, bloemenhof, tropisch fruit - mond : fruitig, eindigt op een serieus bittere toets

daleharshman (903) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 20, 2014
Entered as my 900th rating (after 5.5 years on RateBeer). 16 ounce can given to me by my buddy Shem who apparently has a hook-up in the San Diego area for this particular beer (and which he has not yet revealed to me). Very happy to get my hands on this, the #4 rated DIPA in the world on RateBeer right now. But unfortunately, I am unsure how old this is and suspect that it might not be super fresh. POURS into glass a hazy yellow-gold hue with two fingers of off-white foam with great retention. AROMA of tangerine, peach, tropical fruit (passionfruit, mango), spicy hops, light pine, and some bready malts. FLAVOR of prickly hops with notes of pine, sweet grapefruit, honeysuckle, all with a nice balancing sweet honey maltiness. Somewhat light bodied for the 8% and not very bitter despite the 120 IBU’s (nice balanced with the solid malt backbone). Very happy to try this...would like to find a verifiable fresh can to try and see if the hops aromas and flavors are stronger. (1105, 900)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
UXO (175) - CANADA - AUG 20, 2014
Pours... Well, doesn’t. I decided to follow the recommendation and drink from the can. Hard to get used to! Nose is hoppy and fruity, citrus, pine, and dank. Taste follows suit, with tropical fruit and citrus, pine resin, floral and floral against light sweet malt. Medium light body with very little alcohol presence and a sticky finish. Well, damn. Ain’t that some shit! Next one I get my hands on is gonna have to go in a glass so I can evaluate appearance as well, but other than the inability to evaluate appearance, this is perfect DIPA. And since DIPA’s are pretty much my favourite style, I guess I officially have a new favourite beer ever.

VixMoirin (3) - - AUG 20, 2014 does not count
Superbe IPA très houblonnée et fraiche. Drink from the can!! So drinkable it´s scary!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Alengrin (1242) - BELGIUM - AUG 19, 2014
Double IPA with off-white head and orange blonde colour; aroma overwhelmingly hoppy, pine resin and pine needles, citrus peel, tonic water, lemon, grapefruit, bit earthy and vividly spicy; taste equally hoppy, resinous, citrussy, some sweetish fruits in the onset, mellow malt base, all drenched in a very complex, assertive if not agressive but still elegant hop bitterness, oily and resinous, very dry, long and complex. This is what an uncompromizing American-style IPA should taste like, lives up to the expectations I had.