overall
Brewed by Aldaris (Carlsberg)
Style: Pale Lager
Riga, Latvia

RATINGS: 266   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.35   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Aldaris Zelta (Gold) is a classically brewed lager with a mild bitterness, hop flavor and pure malt taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
artbub (10) - Carnegie, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2006
I really liked this. It has a unique taste--sweet and lingering (as one reviewer wrote). It has an acquired taste. Being proud of my Baltic heritage I excitedly tried this Latvian beer and I was not disappointed. Yes, it has traits that purists may find disconcerting-- an almost complete lack of hopping, pretty sweet, but no hint of wheatiness--but it is fun to drink. I was deeply saddened when my local beer distributor quit carrying it. To tell you the truth, if you like a fruity beer,get this. It does lace well, and it tempers well, from the coolness of a fridge to drinking it slightly warm, I didn’t find it skunky at all.

JesseM (1145) - Margaritaville, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 26, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 29, 2008 I know it’s just a pale lager, but the low rating is deceptive. I had this after a long day at work, and WOW was it ever good. I need not explain aroma and taste, as you can probably assume what they were (typical mild hops and some malts, nice golden colour, etc.). But, this was a particularly flavourful pale lager, with a tad more emphasis on the malts (bready, biscuity), and it has a great oily mouth-feel, with an almost heavier body than a typical pale lager . It hit the spot perfectly. I guess maybe I was just in the ideal situation for a helles like this. I think certain raters see the low rating and their minds develop a prejudice, especially considering that typically this beer seems like yet another member of a long line-up of generic Euro lagers. But, if served properly, a true lager-lover should be able to appreciate this fine brew. Nicely done Latvia! Edit: Almost every time I have this it’s a little different. Maybe it’s all dependant on freshness. But sometimes it’s better than others, but fresh it seems to have a lot more straw character to it which is quite tasty. A dry hoppy quality in the finish. Other times toffee-like maltyness comes through. I wish I could have an endless supply of this stuff!

Tricker (271) - Quebec, CANADA - JUL 31, 2012
Bière blonde de 5.2 % d’alcool. Elle possède un dorat fruité. Belle finition en verre, léger col au versement, fort pétillante. Bon goût, douce, simple, agréable et rafraîchissante. Elle possède un aspect fruité, légère et succulente.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
atalus (16) - Riga, LATVIA - FEB 3, 2006
One of most popular beer in our country. Resonable price, good taste - thats what we expect in beer witch we use in usual party.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrRoss (646) - Delta, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 17, 2009
liked this one, pouring into a darkish gold colour with a short-lived foamy white head and very little lacing. Aroma was "hop over malt", and the taste seemed to offer even more malt. Smooth and refreshing. FYI, the back label says mine was produced in 26 October 2004, and I bought it 17 June 2005 in Toronto.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
mansdibens99 (8) - USA - FEB 3, 2002 does not count
Zelta means gold in Latvian. The golden brew is all I wanted to get on tap while I was in Riga(Latvia’s capitol). It’s a good conversational beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - FEB 28, 2004
Batch 10072128, if that means anything to anyone. No date on the bottle, though. I'm guessing mine is quite different from some of the others listed. While this is far from excellent, IMO, it's not bad at all, and certainly not as bad as I was expecting. Pours a *really* pale yellow, as in almost white color with a tinge of yellow. Decent head that did okay and there was some decent lacing left down the glass. Smell isn't very strong, but malt with a touch of hops. Taste is also very mild. Definately has malt going on but it's not exactly complex. A bit of a malt aftertaste, albeit a small bit. Mouthfeel is quite full and thick, much more than I was expecting. Drinkability is definately good as I may grab a few more of these next time I'm at the store. I know I have a good source (for the time being), but after reading the other scores, I think if a future bottle had any dust on it I might skip it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bov (9245) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - OCT 2, 2000
amber colour, fruity aroma, well structured, bitter but a little bit simple flavor

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
philbertk (1873) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 21, 2010
Aldaris Latvia Daritava Alus Riga--Zelta Premium Lager Original Beer--2007 16.9 oz. Bottle. 5.20% ABV. 20 IBU’s? (4.0 / 5.0) Pale Lager. 2 @ $2.29 Each. Mild white head. Clear thin dull yellow white color. Crisp mild hop front.Smooth mild butter caramel mild creamy delicate sweet tasty Baltic Pale Lager body. Smooth refreshing clean mellow hop end. Nice all malt Pale Lager. Baltic Style Like Svyturys. Sampled 3/30/2008. Aldaris Latvia Daritava Alus Riga--Zelta Premium Lager Original Beer--Clear Bottle--Neck Label--2008 16.9 oz. Release. 5.20% ABV. 20 IBU’s? (3.75 / 5.0) Pale Lager. Mild white head. No lace. Clear pale yellow color. Mild hop butter ester hint front. Mild creamy smooth butter malt Pale Lager mild sweet delicate body. Stank hint. Clean easy mild hop end. Good malt flavor,but a little bland. Sampled 6/22/2008. 2 @ $2.69 Each.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
johndoughty (3847) - cheslyn hay, West Midlands, ENGLAND - NOV 24, 2002
Malts dominate leaving a pleasant aftertaste. The label shows that this beer has won a few medals in the past and I could see why. Nice appearance with a slightly toasted taste. Quite a strong gravity which you are soon aware off. Recommended.