AleSmith Barrel Aged Decadence 2005

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 212   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%

lucklys' rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lucklys (62) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - APR 4, 2011
Major thanks to Dak, heís still officially (and probably will be forever) my favorite beer person. In the world. (111/124) * * * I have to be frank here and say that my review is going to be sub-par for multiple reasons, specifically that I was really more interested in basking in the moment as well as the fact that I was at least 10 tastes in at this point, so please, forgive me for my terrible notes. * * * Poured into my designated tasting glass from Cigar City Brewing, it appeared a rich dark chestnut brown with ruby/copper highlights and was very murky and speckled with sediment. I canít say much about the head, as I didnít pour it myself, and it was probably a good 2 or 3 minutes before I was able to really delve into it and take pictures, so judging solely from the photographs and what Iíve read about most extensively aged (as well as barrel aged) beers, Iím willing to deduce that what I saw when I was snapping shots is pretty much all there was. A few large bubbles submerged under smaller bubbles in a medium pearly, wheat-colored ring of foam hugged the glass while floating heavily on top of the liquid. As I drank the beer, there was no lacing left behind and no visible carbonation throughout. * * * Now that weíre done with the easy visual part, I canít guarantee my opinions and findings with this beer, but I will try my damnedest to decipher my scribbled notes. As I stuck my nose in the glass, I initially came out with lots of vanilla, milk chocolate, and caramel, which made it seem very sweet. As I returned to the brew, thick oaky notes and pieces of syrupy brown sugar toffee floating in bourbon presented themselves alongside some deep, rich malts and slightly fainter dark fruits, namely raisins and figs, which I actually didnít find until after I had started tasting. Despite all of the very sweet components, the larger presence of the bourbon and oak really smoothed everything out without making it too mild or too heavy. * * * How am I doing so far? Not too shabby for a beer I had 3 days ago in the middle of a busy and delicious tasting, if I do say so myself. Now for the flavors. From what I remember without looking at my notes, and while reading through what I found in the nose, I think that the taste and the aroma were pretty similar and complimented each other in their similarities. According to my notes, the whole drink was ridiculously smooth and dominated by the bourbon and oak flavors. I found some faint dark fruit molasses (raisin and fig again, maybe some dates), quite a bit of vanilla and caramel, sweet dark malts, chocolate, toffee, and a very light doughy yeast that seemed a little out of place. I may have imagined the yeast altogether, but with all of the "specialty yeast strains" they used in this brew, I guess it shouldnít surprise me that some of it may have survived. Regardless, it wasnít a feature that would ever characterize this beer for me, so Iíll just focus on the sweet, sweet dark and malty and bourbony love that poured from this bottle. I did enjoy that there wasnít a sweet aftertaste and that the mouthfeel was creamy without being thick or syrupy. The carbonation was lightly spicy, due in large part to the alcohol (11%) Iím sure, but over the course of my tasting, it actually felt rather soft, though far from flat. Overall, trying to tell that this Decadence was 11% alcohol was impossible. It was just too smooth in execution and too velvety in flavor, which made for one hell of an experience. I only wish that words could do it justice. This was definitely one of my favorite beers from the tasting and I am counting myself extremely lucky to have had this opportunity.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
anders37 (16250) - MalmŲ, SWEDEN - JUL 9, 2014
Bottle @ RBSG Grand Tasting. Pours a dark amber color with a small off-white head. Has a fruity malty bourbon woody caramel and dark fruit aroma. Fruity malty woody caramel and toffee flavor with hints of bourbon and dark fruit. Has a fruity malty woody toffee and caramel finish.

gendv138 (976) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - JUL 5, 2014
Bottle during RBSG 2014 Grand Tasting at Schlafly Tap Room thanks to brokensail. 2010 release. Dark amber brown with off-white head. Aromas of caramel, dark fruit, toffee. Tastes of bourbon, caramel, toffee, dark fruit. Medium-full body with a dry finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RobertDale (3290) - Lansing, Kansas, USA - JUN 29, 2014
Sample at SRBG Grand Tasting. Pours dark brown with a small beige head. Aroma of fruit, bourbon, malt, and alcohol. Taste is dark fruit, malt, bourbon, caramel, and wood. Very good, but maybe a bit past prime.

jtclockwork (7898) - , New Jersey, USA - JUN 25, 2014
Bottle. Etched glass. 2010. Pours dark brown. Off white/tan head. Nose/taste of oak, toffee, caramel, dark fruit and bourbon. Full bodied.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
crossovert (6928) - Illinois, USA - JUN 23, 2014
750ml gold foiled green bottle. No skunk, but big oxidation, not that bad in an old ale though, leathery, and sherry like with bourbon turning fruity.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beernbourbon (1284) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUN 21, 2014
Bottle at summer gathering thanks to Drew, thank you so much! Pour is rich maple syrup brown with a small beige head. Aroma and flavor loaded with sweet maple malt, brown sugar, balancing alcohol, light wood and a smooth reassuring finish. Best beer of the night for me. Held up really well over the years and is still exceptional.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrSilverworm (5899) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 21, 2014
750ml bottle. Tasted at RBSG grand tasting. Labeled 2010 anniversary ale (barrel aged). Hazy red orange color. Thin off-white ring of head. Loose bits of lace. Bigger body. Smooth kind of soft lighter carbonation. Light slick finish. Moderate sweet taste, light spicy, some heat on it. Dark fruit, caramel malt, some vanilla. Solid old ale to try.!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
TwoSipDip (8894) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUN 21, 2014
Bottle @ RBSG Grand Tasting. 2010 release. Pours a murky reddish orange appearance with a little head. Caramel, whiskey, chocolate, slight veggie, sugary aroma. Somewhat oxidized, toffee, burnt sugar, whiskey flavor. This one seemed to be too old, even at three years.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Homer321 (1600) - Rock Ridge, Florida, USA - JUN 21, 2014
Shared at RBSG 2014. Thanks to Andrew. Big want. Drank as a 2010 bottle alias. Nose is moderately boozy with a nice vanilla touch. Taste is a dried cherry and light stone fruit.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
IEBAILI (125) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 6, 2014
My first rating in about five years. Marked Barrel Aged 65/124, canít remember when I got this, donít know if itís 2005 or 2010. Pours a beautiful deep amber with a minimal tan head. Smells of whiskey, caramel figs and maybe some plum. Taste is boozy, drier than expected, with a touch of acidity, red wine and some apple flavor. Carbonation is low, I would prefer a bit of spritz, but mouth feel is smooth and itís not heavy or cloying. A warmth from the alhohol without a burn. I enjoy and appreciate this, but, like most barrel aged beers, itís not something I crave on a regular basis.