AleSmith Barrel Aged Decadence 2007

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 196   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Special Markings Paper Label Gold Foil and number out of 817 Bottles. Special Markings: Gold foil neck and paper label gold numbering on it, with bottle #/817

BOLTZ7555 (2799) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JUN 3, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2011 Bottle 292 shared by Sparky27 @ Hellbilly’s Holiday Tasting...THANKS ERIC!!! Pure ebony pour with a 1/2 inch creamy eggshell head that diminishes into a film that defiantly stays until the last sip. Incredibly fragrant. Vanilla, oak, bourbon, cocoa, and caramel fill the nostrils. Ignites the palate...rich, chocolaty, and complex. So much going on. Maple syrup, toasted marshmallow, and brown sugar. Thick and viscous. WOW!!! AleSmith ROCKS!!! BUMP!!!

hellbilly (3249) - scottsdale über alles, Arizona, USA - JUN 9, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2009 i about crapped myself when eric pulled this one out! bottle 292/817. smells awesome!... vitamin pills mixed with smooth delicious bourbon, spice, wood, chocolate and vanilla. sexy flavor... spice, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, malt and a bourbon kick which really mellows out as this sits and warms.all of the good stuff from the original with the alcohol cutting through the richness. something really clicked for me... my first 5.0!

bottle 618/817 shared by nbutler... same rating as this beer is downright amazing! i wish i could rate it higher. tasted side by side with the base beer... normally, i am not a fan of what a barrel can do to a beer. this on the other hand, was only enhanced...

nbutler11 (1267) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JUN 28, 2010
Rating #1000. Bottle procured at the release by kylefleeger -- many thanks! Consumed at Atlas Bistro with hellbilly and psprings. Pours roasted black in color with a ruby tint around the edges and a creamy tan head of foam. Tasted in a vertical with the base beer and put it to shame. The beer even looked better coming out of a barrel! Smells incredible -- possibly the best aroma I have ever inhaled -- ethereal bourbon, vanilla, and molten chocolate. I want to get an oxygen tank full of this stuff and huff it like Dennis Hopper (RIP) in Blue Velvet. Tastes substantially better than the base beer and actually makes the base smell hot to the point that I had to check multiple times to make sure I had the right glass. The finest argument for barrel aging beer I have yet to consume -- offers a wave of sweetness from the aroma that moves into malt and cocoa before finishing with the bitterness of dark fruits and the core flavors of the base beer. Truly decadent. I can’t believe this lived up to my expectations.

cbkschubert (2900) - BFE, Arizona, USA - OCT 18, 2013
750 ml bottle (267/817) via trade with badlizard several years ago. Thanks Joe - I’ve been sittin’ on this beer for awhile. Waiting for the right occasion. I’ve thought about sharing it with my homebrew club, the AZ crew, or family. Well, I’ve decided to be selfish, and drink the crown jewel of my cellar by myself (actually my wife helped). Reason being, Elaine Schubert, my mother died this morning after she finally succumb to her battle with cancer. So why not drink a great beer to celebrate the life of a wonderful woman.
I won’t go into detail about the beer. You can read all the other reviews. With that said, this beer is absolutely wonderful. Probably one of the best beers I’ve tried. Time has done this beer good. So I think I’ve finally found a beer I can rate a 5.0. Also, I think this would be a good beer end end my rating. Love ya mom.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
badlizard (5538) - Berkeley, California, USA - MAR 13, 2009
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2009 Bottle from today’s release. Dark brown with a small fizzy brown head. Huge bourbon, vanilla, chocolate and oak aroma. Velvety palate with a mild brightness. Chocolate, bourbon, and vanilla upfront followed by a hazel nut and cereal taste and finishing with a nice roasty oakiness. Seriously boozy and damn good. Excellent.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
kegbear (436) - Orange, California, USA - MAR 13, 2009
Bottle the day of the release. Wow! This is like eating a chocolate caramel truffel dipped in bourbon. The aroma is heaven with lots of vanilla. When cold I got sweet cherry, but this faded as it warmed. Creamy texture with a wonderful bourbon finish. This is a sipper for sure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Hophead22 (2880) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - MAR 19, 2009
750ml bottle. Damn this is awesome smelling, bourbon, a hint of vanilla. Dark black pour with a small light brown head. Flavor is alot of vanilla up front , very smooth, no alcohol present at all. This has to be one of the best beers I have ever had, complete orgasm all around.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
wavers1 (877) - Notown, California, USA - AUG 17, 2010
long sought after bottle courtesy of ajm, thanks! what is there to say, this stuff rocks! its a massive importer with a huge and well balanced bourbon presence. delicious, enough so that you can literally drink the entire bottle by yourself!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - MAR 13, 2009
Rate beer rating #1000 and a damn worthy brew at that: 750 ml bottle from the brewery. Deep burgundy color, held up to a flashlight, with a medium, fading light brown head. Aroma is strong vanilla, a little alcohol and a touch of wood. Flavor starts dark chocolate followed by some bourbon, vanilla and oak with a hint of lightly toasted coconut and a long dry strong black coffee bitter finish. Full body is smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation. Yahoo…AleSmith rocks!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
WeeHeavySD (3360) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - MAR 14, 2009
6th rating. Bottle 470/817. Shared by dalekliz, shared with her and my girlfriend at my place. Poured into my reidel snifter. Pours black with a light brown head. The nose is pretty omnipresent from the second I opened it and its been lingering a touch since I opened it. Nose is quite bourbony with some caramel. The vanilla is there too, and there is certainly some booze in the nose, but its enticing and not problematic. There is also a nice note of chocolate in there too. Taste is just plain old amazing, when I talked to Pete earlier in the week, he said I wouldn’t be disappointed and I don’t know how I could be. Taste is rich, with chocolate, notes of burnt roasty coffee, clear bourbon and vanilla and an extremely nice mouthfeel. It has a damn nice warming feel in the mouth. Liz mentioned the alcohol was more hidden when it was colder, as I recall from the time I first had the non barrel aged version of this beer I thought it was beyond smooth, and this is less smooth, but the warming is actually nicer in some ways than that overabundance of smoothness. After each sip, my mouth gets left with a little longing for more. Wow, just plain old exceptional. Great work Pete, Matt, Bill, Tod, Jess and the whole gang at Alesmith deserve full congratulations on a drinkable piece of art.