AleSmith Decadence 2010

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 535   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
The 2010 and 2005 versions have the same recipe.

In 2010 we return to the style that was chosen for the very first AleSmith Decadenceģ, an English-style Old Ale. Abundant malty flavors and the perfect balance of English hops define this classic style. Four specialty yeast strains and the use of tradition brewing sugars create a rich and tasty flavor profile. AleSmith Decadenceģ pleases and tantalizes the palate in a way that has become the hallmark of AleSmithís premium ales.

English Style Old Ale

In 1995, a momentous happening occurred in San Diego:AleSmith was forged. In the ten years since then, we have had the pleasure of enjoying the fruits of our labor and we have been fortunate to develop a faithful following of friends. We are commemorating this decade with a very special brew: Decadence Anniversary Ale. We deeply appreciate your support and we hope you join us in our "Decadent" decennial celebration.

zathrus13 (1719) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - SEP 15, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2005 Pours cloudy brown/amber, with a small, tan head. Aromas are malt, dark fruit, and brown sugar. Flavors are malt, brown sugar, fruit, and hops. Starts sweet and finishes dry. Body is fairly heavy. As others have said, this is good now, but really needs some time to develop more. Thanks to DarkElf and Foolish_Mortal for getting me some of this.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
fordest (2010) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - SEP 15, 2005
Bottle from Brewery. Dark amber pour with very little head. Aromas of caramel, darkfuits, molassas, and sugar cane. Flavor were outstanding. Alcohol was evident and pretty hot. Maybe that will mellow with age. Flavors of molassas and caramell came through with a nicely balanced hop presence in the finish. I love this stuff. Very Decadent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
OldGrowth (2699) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - SEP 14, 2005
Bottle, from Julioís. Good nose, sweet. Fruity, Banana, grape. Butterscotch, really ripe citrus, maybe some mango too. Great clean reddish orange color. Small head that faded to a ring. Second pour had all the sediment. Bittersweet flavors, like aroma with rootbeer(when it was colder), grapefruit, grape, plum, date. Thick mouthfeel, Viscous oily mouthfeel, Bitter warming sticky finish. Great brew, Tad hot. A little time on one of these would be interesting.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 12, 2005
Damn, Iím lazy...I was probably the first member of this sight to try this beer, yet Iím the 12th to enter a rating...oh well. It Pours with a deep amber body topped by a medium thick head with some lacing. Itís sweet and malty with a slight spice, a nice caramel note and a peppery hop note. Full bodied and warming yet smooth. This beer is definately stilll young and needs some age. Canít wait to try it again in a year or so.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - SEP 12, 2005
Cinamen and graham crackers in the aroma. Very purple brownish color. ALittle white soapy head. Nail polish remover fumes and some plums. Taste is bold yet elegant, a bit of grapes goin on in it also. Damn fine beer yet again from alesmith.

LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - SEP 11, 2005
This was a damn fine brew by Alesmith. Thanks to B and the guy who sent it to him. heehee. OK, I got some crazy stuff from the aroma, some oak, vanilla, sweet tea, gumballs, alcohol, butterscotch, with hints of menthol, raspberry, and lemon. the flavor hit hard with some iced tea and some menthol, but neither were overpowering. a very buttery mouthfeel. some vanilla bean and raspberry flavors with brown sugar, ginger root, oak, and some graham crackers. good work alesmith :)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - SEP 11, 2005
The alcohol hit me quick with the first sip, but then as it warmed it mellowed abit, great flavors, vanilla, clove, sugar, all are present, pretty sweet, not usually my thing, but it works this time, I cant wait to try it again in a year or two. (Punkpie are you listening?) solid brew. Thanks to punkpie for this brew!

wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - SEP 10, 2005
0,75 cl bottle, snifter. Thick, creamy, tan head with some medium sized bubbles. Slightly murky, brown-red hue. Cinnamon, dark bread, spicy hops, alcohol, molasses, brown sugar, mint leaves, solvent, plums, port, vanilla. Amazing selections of aromas. A light vinous note is added to the flavor.Also, ginger snaps. Heavily sweet flavor. Heavily sweet, lightly bitter finish. Full bodied, sticky/velvety texture, soft carbonation. Light to medium alcohol, but not burning. Fnord!

DarkElf (3035) - La Jolla, California, USA - SEP 3, 2005
(Draft and Cask: AleSmith Brewing Company, Liars’ Club, & O’Brien’s in San Diego, CA) I’ve now had this beer on three occasions -- twice on draft and once on cask -- and while it’s clear that this is a beer meant to be enjoyed after a year or so of aging, I’m putting up a review now to show the progress this beer will make over time. It’s big, malty, sweet and very caramely, kind of like a Scotch ale, but also shows a fairly strong bitterness and some spiciness so that the beer isn’t just a sugar bomb. The problem the kegs are showing is the alcohol. It’s very evident, even a bit overwhelming, and this beer clearly need aging to smooth that out. Also, the alcohol is pleasant when the beer is cold, but as it warms up, that’s when the alcohol really takes hold. Malt and sweet caramel in the nose, but again, lots of alcohol. Full bodied and heavy, but not syrupy, thanks to the ample hops. Beautiful ruddy brown color is fairly clear in appearance. Light tan head fades to a small ring, leaving only a few traces of lace. Solid, but too hot unless you drink it cold. Until I had it on cask, I was prepared to give this only a 3.6.

Now, on cask, I think we can begin to see where this beer will be heading as it ages. The alcohol is still fairly pronounced, but not quite to the point of being overwhelming. It also seems more hoppy. I couldn’t taste hops in the draft version, but on cask, I actually can taste hops. I presume that, too, will mellow out over time. But I think the cask version is much better, more enjoyable, more "ready", and so my ratings numbers are based on this. Anyway, this is in no way a final review of this beer. And those who acquire a bottle should resist the urge to be among the first to rate this very young beer and exercise patience for they will be rewarded handsomely.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
giarcsr (103) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 3, 2005
I find this a very interesting beer. the aroma to me smells like baileyís irish cream, and vanilla mixed together. Itís very pleasant actually.the pour is good, itís a nice rich amber, the only thing bad I can say is that my bottle wasnít too carbonated, but honestly I donít get too many Alesmith beers that are. Thankfully I donít think this affects the flavor which is very different and more interesting then the rest of the Alesmith line up. Itís got a solid old ale taste to it, but thereís a bit of an english twist to it with a solid almost vanilla like warming aftertaste thatís very enjoyable. Itís been mentioned before that this will be money in a year or so and I totally agree. Also, Iíve had this on cask twice and it is amazing, I think as of this posting there is only one cask of this beer left. It is well worth it to get a pint of that. If I was rating that Iíd probably have a score around 4.8 - 4.9 no problem, itís that amazing.