overall

RATINGS: 525   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
The 2010 and 2005 versions have the same recipe.

In 2010 we return to the style that was chosen for the very first AleSmith Decadence®, an English-style Old Ale. Abundant malty flavors and the perfect balance of English hops define this classic style. Four specialty yeast strains and the use of tradition brewing sugars create a rich and tasty flavor profile. AleSmith Decadence® pleases and tantalizes the palate in a way that has become the hallmark of AleSmith’s premium ales.

English Style Old Ale

In 1995, a momentous happening occurred in San Diego:AleSmith was forged. In the ten years since then, we have had the pleasure of enjoying the fruits of our labor and we have been fortunate to develop a faithful following of friends. We are commemorating this decade with a very special brew: Decadence Anniversary Ale. We deeply appreciate your support and we hope you join us in our "Decadent" decennial celebration.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Caskalefan (147) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - NOV 29, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2005 I was hesitant to open the bottle I had just purchased, because I’d been forewarned about its youth....I expected some real alcohol heat, along with a fading head, and a too sharp flavor profile over all...boy, was I surprised! TTHe nose, and the palate pretty much fell into alignment...there was a HUGE aroma, replete with dates, figs, prunes, butterscotch, chocolate, mandarin orange slices, and even a touch of anise lurking in the background. The flavor was similar, augmented by the AMAZING mouthfeel, which was velvety, and silky, and served as a beautiful conveyor of all those rich, ripe, and luscious flavors...this ale may age really well, but believe me, it is READY to drink right now...incredible balance for the amount of malt and hops employed in the brew kettle...there is a definite hoppy finish that goies on and on, but it is so interwoven with the malt that it is almost impossible to determine where the malt ends, and the hops begin. Yes, there is definitely aging room for this sophisticated behemoth,,,there is still a bit of excess heat from the alcohol, and the flavors could stand a bit more melding, but over all, this is my FAVORITE Alesmith brew...lots of sophistication, but just as much OOMPH to balance that off. Eat your heart out, Greg Koch...this ale is generations ahead of ANYTHING Stone might dream of producing for the next lifetime.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 22, 2005
I had this on cask for the anniversary party at Obrians. Very very tasty. My friend Jon had a glass before me, and his was rougher and had a more prevalent alcohol flavor to it than mine did. Beautiful beer. Mouthfeel was pleasureable. Sweet but also alcohol at the back of the throat. All around good beer. Now if I can just get Jon to send me the bottles he has saved for me....

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
fordest (1964) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - SEP 15, 2005
Bottle from Brewery. Dark amber pour with very little head. Aromas of caramel, darkfuits, molassas, and sugar cane. Flavor were outstanding. Alcohol was evident and pretty hot. Maybe that will mellow with age. Flavors of molassas and caramell came through with a nicely balanced hop presence in the finish. I love this stuff. Very Decadent.

WeeHeavySD (3360) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - SEP 7, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2010 2010 Bottles are damn great as well!!!! 2005 release bottle. I had this soon after the release and sadly only bought 1 more. I will be sure to update my rating with the second bottle. As I recall it tasted like a strong english ale similar to Wee Heavy but different. Well worth a try if you can get your hands on it.

Numenor (871) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAR 14, 2009
A beautiful dark mahogony body with a light ivory head. Aroma is amazing, nice alcohol hotness with some caramel and dark fruits. Taste is smooth, plums, bananas, cherry with some nice molassas. Ending has a slight spice with a very nice smooth ending. Great beer and I’m glad I held onto this one.

LtDan (1785) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - JUN 27, 2010
Decadence 2010 Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a thick, frothy beige head.

Aroma: Chocolate, charms caramel apple lollipop, white grape and booze.

Taste: Burnt caramel, dark chocolate, bitter hops, wood and alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium and very fizzy. Warm.

Overall: Incredible. I would argue this beer is ready now, even with warm youth on it’s side.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
kyedumo (4) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 28, 2011 does not count
True to it’s name, the Alesmith Decadence is a conversation between the Baroque and the Gothic. It transports one to a time in which Handel reigned supreme and Hildegaard of Bingen was not far behind. This is a prude beer as it gives no head, or not quite enough to get your engine a-running. That being said, this beer is quite promiscuous; you’re just another notch on it’s proverbial belt. What it lacks in prudence it more than makes up for in acumen. The smell is of lavender, yellow roses, and charred Yugoslavian horned melon. One can see one’s own past, present, and future upon gazing into her spiraling depths - an oracle, of sorts. It lavishes the tongue in a style reminiscent of the fresh milk of the renowned Northern Flemish steer. And the taste? Sublime: hints of blue grapes, smoked caramel, non-pareils, ecstasy, candied chestnuts, beer, and Latvian leeks. In a word: not bad. This beer is more fit to bathe in than to sup. Yet sup I will, I shall - nay, I must. And oh, how I shall sup!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Clyx (208) - SWEDEN - OCT 1, 2011
Sample @ Stockholm Beer & Whiskey Festival Figs, knäck, notes of cherries, raisins, dried apricot and very complex. Great beer and great balance. Being as strong as it is, it’s easy to drink it.

beerbaaron (1152) - Arizona, USA - DEC 15, 2013
Pours a beautify deep ruby reddish light brown. Medium to large Thick frothy creamy sticky khaki head, fairly lasting with good lace. Very complex, malty smooth sweet aroma. Caramel, toffee, dried overripe fruits, raisin, light alcohol and s touch of chocolate. Hint of hops. Full body, luscious and ultra creamy. Super soft and velvety smooth. Pleasant alcohol warming. Great balance. Just a fantastic beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Odeed (1775) - Bakersfield, California, USA - SEP 20, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2007 (thanks to mike @ hi-time wine for the hook up)so around 6:45 i got a knock at the dorr...its the ups man.i gave him a big smile and a "thanks" and tore into the box like a kid on christmas.first thing i noticed was that this bottle was a bit more "pudgey" than other alesmith bottles.i quickly stuck one in the freezer and waited.....ok,i can wait no longer.i popped the top and poured a bit into my snifter glass.the color was a dark red/light brown color with very little light brown head.my nose gathered aromas of chocolate,cherries,figs,alcohol,and sweet candy.its funny,but the smell reminds me a bit of speedway stout.now for the first sip.wow,its very rich and has a huge mouthfeel.my tounge was coated with a blend of raosted nuts,chocolate,cotton candy,and a hot alcohol finish.this is very nice and as others have said.a little bit of time in the old cellar should do this one nicely. RE-RATE:ON 12/11/05:the "hottness" has calmed down quite a bit.lots more brown sugar comming through in the flavor.i can only imagine what this will taste like in a year.RE-RATE ON 6-4-06:lots of caramel malts in the aroma,although its still giving off some alcohol vapors.flavor is filled with caramel/brown sugar,followed by some candy sugar,and alcohol.im wondering if this is about at its prime.or weather it will continue to age with grace.(RE-RATE ON 6/25/07)crimson red with a small brown head that leaves some webbing on the glass.aroma is caramel malts,sherry,brown sugar,cotton candy,and alcohol.flavor has smoothed considerably.pick up all the characteristics i did from the aroma,plus a slight oxidation.the alcohol seems to have toned down just a bit,but it is still present.