overall

RATINGS: 2266   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.08/5   IBU: 73   EST. CALORIES: 218   ABV: 7.25%
It’s Pretty Awesome. A San Diego classic, AleSmith IPA showcases the versatility of American hops. Aromas of grapefruit and tangerine lead into an abundance of fresh pine and tropical fruit notes followed by a crisp, resinous bitterness. The complex hop profile is supported by a firm malt presence to create an incredibly flavorful and well-balanced IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
kempicus (343) - Bakewell, Derbyshire, ENGLAND - AUG 9, 2008
Tried thanks to Jason! Pours an orangey light brown with a lovely fluffy white head. Tangelo oranges on the nose, it has an amazing soft palate with a full body. Huge overstated flavours which are also balanced at the same time, it has hints of vanilla and oak with an extremely orangey finish almost like a Fullers 1845 on steroids. This beer is what I’d imagined an IPA in the 18th and 19th centuries would taste like….obviously more refined and not subject to a sea voyage…but an absolutely amazing beer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
foundmd (210) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 8, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2009 22oz bottle. Pours a clear gold/amber with a frothy, creamy head that stays with you for the entire journey. Fantastic aroma of citrus and bready malts. Flavor of complex hops with notes of pine, citrus and a slight malt background. Crisp and refreshing mouthfeel. Not to thick, not too thin. Bitter hops at the finish. One of the best IPAs money can buy. Essential.

yespr (40082) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - AUG 6, 2008
From tap at the brewery. Pours clear and golden orange with a lacing white head. Dense grapefruity and slight peachy aroma. Peachy and towards dense fruity hops flavour. Medium sweet to dry and quite bitterhops. Fruity and mild acidic to citric hops finish. Smooth and solid hoppy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Skeegle (566) - Maryland, USA - AUG 3, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 21, 2008 Finally I rate the number one IPA in the world. A very potent IPA that has a HUGE body due to the strong malty backbone the hops are checked by. Lots of citrus flavors, orangey and limes are everywhere. It finishes piney and a bit hop-oily, but is nice because the flavor profile changes with the swallow so the flavor is constantly changing and exerting itself. It’s like when you start eating ice cream, and then your mouth goes numb because of the cold and you can no longer taste the ice cream because of both the cold and the fact that you have been eating the same flavor the entire time--it just tastes like you’re eating creame; well this beer’s flavor actually changes halfway through the in-mouth experience so it is continually bombarding the palate with new flavors that excite and invigorate the tongue. It is really quite different and deserved of its #1 rating, but I’ll have to only give it a 4.2 because it is only sold in $6 bombers. Who sells single-ipa in only bombers?, that seems ridiculous that I can’t pick up a six pack of this stuff. Worth the wait for sure though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
piscator34 (2312) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - AUG 1, 2008
Bottled sample via (and shared with) oakbluff. Hazy orange in colour with medium carbonation. Aromas of pine cone, tangerine, and black pepper. Citrus flavors are upfront in the mouth, before the pine, floral, and grassy notes take over. The citrus re-emerges on the finish too, which was kinda cool. Great lasting bitterness. Malts are definitely playing second fiddle here, but are present enough to keep things in check. A fantastic IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
12many (277) - Alaska, USA - JUL 27, 2008
Bottle. This is impressive. Only the second Alesmith I’ve had but they are on the way of becoming one of my favorite brewers. Deep slightly hazy amber with a fabulous off white head and great lacing. Aroma is huge with earthy, citrus, and some slightly floral hops. Malt balances well and there is some interesting flavor I can’t identify but it fits in nicely. Smooth with a mild lingering bitterness. I rated this compared to other IPA’s but this is easily better than some Double IPA’s.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
grandridge (224) - Port Clinton, Ohio, USA - JUL 18, 2008
A few months old and still very very good. The hops still noticible for a bottle that was purchased back in Feb. This gem kind of got lost in my cellar and today I realized I got some IPAs that are getting old. This brew pours cloudy golden with a huge head. Aroma is hops and more hops. Seems to be some cascade/centinnial in there but not too sure but definitely get the pine and citrus. Smooth and thick on the palate with light carbonation. Like the description it does feel warm in the mouth. Flavor is a hop bomb of citrus and pine followed by a sweet finish. What a good brew I’ll be getting this fresh to drink up in the future.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - JUL 16, 2008
Amazing, I wish i could describe this in just that singular word. The best part about this IPA is the hop flavor and lack of astringent bitterness. The aroma is an overwhelming combination of hops. Flavor is very malty sweet with a wonderful hop flavor and mild bitterness. Loved this and wish I had much, much more

Avatar (84) - Gliwice, POLAND - JUL 16, 2008
Bottle brought to Poland for me by cousin. I’m gonna write desciption with next bottle, as I came to San Diego by myself now :)

torourke (7) - West Melbourne, Florida, USA - JUL 14, 2008 does not count
This is my favorite beer in the world. I’m from Florida and I order this beer by mail. It’s very expensive because of the shipping costs but it’s worth it to me. This is the creamiest thickest IPA I have ever tasted. The balance between the pale malt and the formidable hops is perfect. Thick and rich this is almost a double IPA but I like it just the way it is. I love this beer and it has a certain San Diego hop load that is very similar to Racer 5 by Bear Republic. I’m guessing that Cascade and Centennial hops are used in this fantastic concoction. The head is a supremely jagged cloud like affair and is very sticky leaving plenty of lace on my pint glass. The color is a little darker than most IPAs and I like that. If you have never had this IPA, I suggest you do whatever it takes to get it, like I do. Well worth the extra expense and a real treat.