overall

RATINGS: 1451   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   IBU: 96   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Bottle conditioned.
Caramel and toffee notes abound in this deep copper-colored American Barleywine-style ale alongside toasted malt and a hint of ripe dark fruits. Old Numbskull showcases malt sweetness, intense American hops, and an aggressive bitterness. Extremely well-balanced, the full-bodied mouthfeel and assertive hop profile leads into a deceptively smooth finish. Old Numbskull can be enjoyed now or laid down for years to come.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
snowden719 (130) - USA - AUG 23, 2006
Pours deep amber with a small to medium white head. Aroma is pine hops, caramel malt, some honey. Flavor has a nice buttery taste to go along with the caramel up front with a nice pine finish. Alcohol adds a nice warmth to the beer. Mouthfeel is decently substantial.

vyvvy (5373) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - AUG 19, 2006
Once again I must thank Beerdrenched for generously sharing a quality beverage. Pours deep garnet with a light tan head. LOTS of rich caramel malt - bready, toffee thickness. Thich chewy mouthfeel with somewhat sharp carbonation. Taste has lots of bready toffee, caramel, alcohol warmth, cream and vanilla - there are a ton of things going on here. Finish brings out more of the ABV warmth and some licorice hints. Excellent barleywine that I must find again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lowe1983 (1474) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - AUG 14, 2006
Pours an amber color with a medium off-white head. Aroma is of caramel, citrus and pine hops, yeast, dark fruits, and some alcohol. Flavor is very similar with nice alcohol warming. Flavor lingers for awhile. Pretty delicious barley wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
505 (271) - Echo Park, California, USA - AUG 9, 2006
Pretty malty, yeasty aroma. I wanted some more hops, but oh well. Taste is similar, caramel, yeasty, very belgian tasting. It was a good beer, but not my favorite barley wine. I was a little disappointed as I love Alesmith.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JoshuaB (476) - Detroit, Michigan, USA - AUG 8, 2006
Solid, solid as a rock, as sung by Ashford and Simpson. Anywho, sampled this on tap. Poured a deep burnt amber with red specks and swirls. Aroma is in your face hops and toffee and carmel. Taste is more of the same. A bit kncoked off for too much carbonation, but that is stretching it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 3, 2006
Rating #300: Bottle: Clear dark amber color, with a thin fizzy off white head. Aroma, rich malts, some alcohol, and some dark fruits. Flavor, sweet up front, but it quickly gives way to a nice floral and earthy bitterness. Very malty, but the hops come through on the end to make for something quite special. Some alcohol does come through on the tail end, but it’s not hot enough to be a problem.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUL 31, 2006
My first barley wine experience. Very different. Maybe I should have tried a bad barley wine first. I sturggled through my first glass, but then came to enjoy the second. Very present alcohol taste. Lots of complex fruit aromas and flavors. Terrific appearance. Overall, very pleasing. I will want to try more barley wines.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
asteele8 (322) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - JUL 30, 2006
Bottle. Poured a dark brown color with a very little head. Aroma is fruit, caramel, and hops. Taste is actually pretty smooth even though it smells as though it could be harsh. Taste is pretty full of hops. A nice kick at the end of a bitter tingling. Nice presence of alcohol not too overbearing. Very enjoyable barley wine, would love to cellar it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
marcus (8696) - Sacramento, California, USA - JUL 29, 2006
On tap at AleSmith. This brown ale poured with a moderate tan head, eliciting a nice malty aroma. Very mellow and well-balanced foir a barley wine - not syrupy sweet like many other barley wines.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
jhanauer (6) - USA - JUL 28, 2006 does not count
This is my first barleywine and I have to give some reasons why I am rating this beer at the 3.5 that I have given the brew. My friends and I were enjoying some Indian food - a nice curry to be precise - and I think it threw off most of the experience. We went and bought Snifter glasses so that was legit, but the food and the rice were not the fare we should have had in order to rate this beer properly. I shall return.