overall

RATINGS: 774   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.33   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Special Markings: Gold foil neck and white numbering above rear label. Some bottles have paper labels, some do not.

Weíve matured our Russian Imperial Stout in premium bourbon barrels for up to one year to create the perfect blend of flavors. Notes of oak, vanilla, and bourbon add another level of complexity to this beerís already massive flavor profile of chocolate, Ryan Bros. Coffee, and roasted barley. Designed to be enjoyed now or aged in the bottle for years to come, this special release is truly a unique beer that is smooth as it is rare.

Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - MAY 14, 2008
Very appreciative thanks to Kyle for the bottle!! 96/228 Had to maneuver a few pages to make this 1600, oh well. Black with beige head, fades to film. aroma full of nice sweet buttery bourbon and chocolate. Flavor on par, huge chocolate, buttery/vanilla bourbon, residuel sugars, and no coffee whatsoever!! Smooth creamy mouthfeel. Very nice BB brew. Thanks again Kyle!!

DicksMcGee (56) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 12, 2008
2006 Bottle 124 of 235, thanks pepsican for yet again bringing letdowns to the party you douche. Almost no head, black pour. Smells of coffee pepper urea vanilla oak. Very creamy body. Tastes boozy, bourbon, coffee, nutty cherry, dry.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
stegosaurus (1882) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 12, 2008
2006 Bottle #46/235 sampled with Mad_indian. Pours dark with a one finger thick persistant tan head. Aroma of bourbon, oak, vanilla, roast, chocolate, and slight pretzel. The flavor is slightly sweet upfront, vanilla, chocolate, bourbon, with an oaky roasted, bitter finish. Excellent body great brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DietPepsican (1526) - @ $13.99, Iowa, USA - MAY 12, 2008
Rating #500. Yay! Pours black with a brown head. Aroma is strong coffee and oak. Flavor again is more strong coffee, oak, bourbon, cream, toffee, booze, and just a hint of paper. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Some hint of the abv. I really liked this one, but after everything was said and done I almost prefer the non BA speedway. I did here from a few folks I shared this with it wasnít up to par with other bottles tasted. Still though, Iím so glad I finally got to try this. Thanks ratebeer in general for this one!

MadIndian (2606) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 11, 2008
Bottle from ebay purchase. Sampled with Stegosaurus. Bottle from 2006 #46 of 235. BANG WOW ! Aroma god like Chocolate, bourbon wood and roast. The pour is almost black but you can see a reddish hue. A very thin tan head. First taste is over whelming. The second taste you notice a perfect blend of Chocolate , vanilla, bourbon oak with a roasty bitter finish. Absolutely world class.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ofortuna (322) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 10, 2008
From my backlog. Many thanks to Chuck for this rare treat. 2004 vintage #11 of 240. Poured a loose head with a decent amount of lacing. Right off the bat I get an upfront dose of sour in the aroma. Soon after a wave of bourbon and oak sweep through. I feel aweful before I even take the first sip. Soon after I imbibe, my fears are confirmed: this is far past its prime. There is still remnants of what used to be: wonderful richness of the base beer, beautiful example of barrel-aging, great complexity hidden underneath. Unfortunately, all of that is dominated by the degregation of time. A dominant sour character has taken over and thinned its body. Itís aggressive nature overshadows what a magnificient beer this must have once been. I can peer through this veil and sense glimmers of its once glorious past, but itís now a shadow of its former self. The experience was poor for me and I felt aweful at the loss.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - MAY 9, 2008
bottle from my bro naven. Overrated. I mean, its good, but its not awesome. I wanted a 5.0, and this is not that good. Expectations outweigh substance. Flavor is malty, a little cloying. Nice, Iíd drink 4 more, but I wouldnít go to the ends of the earth to get it like I wouldve yesterday.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mjg74 (2824) - Salem, Oregon, USA - APR 28, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2008 Bottle (2006, #165) from brewery. Slick black upon pouring. Low carbonation. Very oily appearance. Dark fruity aroma. Bourbon and vanilla, along with some oak. Big bourbon flavor up front. Somewhat boozy. Huge flavors. Some sweetness. Warming going down. Some bitterness in the finish. Seems like it could age a longer. Good impy with a lot of character. Nice coffee finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - APR 25, 2008
I must be one of the few beer geeks that is not terribly fond of this massive brew from local favorites, Alesmith. To thick for me, and I would like a bit of carbonation but every Speedway Iíve had, BA, aged, or fresh, was still. Surely my palate is not up to the task of this complex roast bomb, itís me not you.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hapjydeuce (975) - Carlsbad, California, USA - APR 17, 2008
2006 vintage, from the brewery. Sampled along side a regular 2007 Speedway Stout. This made for an interesting tasting experience after trying it first with jarspag a few days earlier. Itís been a long time coming for this rarity. The pour is velvety black, and nearly still. Faint wisps of carbonation swirl on the surface, with some light reaching through the deep maroon edges. Awesome aroma of intense chocolate and bourbon oak, with a big molasses and licorice presence mixed in. The aroma is much more mature and mellowed compared to the regular Speedway (which is comprised more so of fresh coffee and oats), but I canít say itís that much better. The flavors here are less of the major coffee presence, and more of a cellared, charred wood tone from the bourbon barrel. While the barrel is not as prominent as BA Wee Heavy or Numbskull, it does add a unique and intriguing layer of complexity to that which is Speedway. Pretty outstanding mouth-feel, just a lot different than normal; oily and coating the palate, minus the carbonation. A tad of a sour, oxidized tang in the finish, but it didnít downgrade the overall experience that much. Overall, yes I think that fresh (and aged) original Speedway does dominate the Imperial Stout style; this blew me away, but not as much as Alesmithís other barrel-aged beers. Hats off on this creation however, I enjoyed it thoroughly.