overall

RATINGS: 694   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.32   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Special Markings: Gold foil neck and white numbering above rear label. Some bottles have paper labels, some do not.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JAN 10, 2004
Bottle #48 - Pours dark oily balck motor oil. Minimal tan head. Massive wood, oak, coffee, molasses, chocolate, alcohol aroma. The flavor is awesome, massive sweet oak, chocolate, coffee, with good alcohol notes. Massive body, chewy with a large chocolate and alcohol aftertaste. The oak flavors just keep on giving. An excellent beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
unclebleen (620) - California, USA - JAN 8, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 11, 2004 Rerate: Well, this is as good as I remember but upon reflection, does this deserve a perfect rating? I'm not so sure. To me perfect means I'd choose said beer over any beer I've ever tasted, and I can't really say that even though it is so damn good. The aroma of this bottle was a little more alcoholic and astringent than I remenber from the first sampling of this beer. Overall it is a masterpiece of brewing. Original Rating: Bottle #47: I really loved this beer unlike any other I've come across. A previous rater mentioned that it may be over-rated based on lack of availability but I completely disagree. This is a great beer regardless of it's distribution or availability...it stands on it's own merits. Now for the tasting notes: It pours a dark chocolate color with a nice small even brown head. Supurb lacing throughout. The aroma is absolutely amazing...the bourbon notes inter-mingle perfectly with the coffee, chocolate roasted aromas. The first thing I noticed about the flavor was the balance between the roasted like bitterness, alcohol and the bourbon. The cask aging actually helped to balance the somewhat astringent finish of the original speedway. The body is very full. It was a pleasure to savor each sip of the beer. I've finally found my first perfect 5.0.

HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - JAN 6, 2004
This beer was fantasic! It smelled like a coffee/beer drinkers delight. Aroused me on the smell I wanted to have my boyfriend pour it all over me and lick it off! The way it poured was strong and black like.... For the flavor, that is when I decided to pour it on me, but it was to wonderful to not taste a single drop. Overall, I found this to be a dangerously enticing beer for me, and can not wait to have it in my mouth again. :)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
CaptainCougar (7130) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - JAN 5, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2007 2004 vintage sampled on 8/2/06: Pours a rich opaque black with a thin-lacing wispy covering of dark brown head. Aroma of sweet chocolatey bourbon and some aged caramel malt. Body starts fairly full and sweet but doesnít have much coffee character compared to the fresher non-barrel aged version. Smooth milk chocolatey palate has decent bourbon character, but doesnít quite have the freshness and complexity but hides the alcohol well and is very drinkable. A nice beer, but not a top 10.

2002 vintage bottle 13/115, courtesy of Rodolito sampled on 1/5/04: Pours a thick oily black with some dark brown around the edges. Head is almost non-existant with a thin ring of light tan foam. Rich, robust, complex dark chocolate and bourbon aroma, with hints of caramel and dark fruits. Starts thick and caramely sweet going through some plum and bittersweet dark chocolate before arriving at a strong whiskey-like, roasted coffee alcoholic finish. A very nice imperial stout, but I think the barrel aging, although adding a touch of complexity, has greatly increased the feel of alcohol in the finish. I honestly prefer the normal version, and fear this is a touch over-rated due to its availability. Donít get me wrong, this is still a great brew. Thanks again to Rodolito for hooking me up with this gem!

Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - DEC 30, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2003 Bottle 37/115: In short, this is like the regular Speedway with added complexity. Aroma is pretty similar to the regular. It's heavy on the molasses. Appearance is awesome. Very black with just a hint of brown on the edges. Remaining lace and head is tan-brown.I can hold this up to a 1000W high pressure sodium light and not see any light through it. Taste is incredible. The taste hits you on two levels. Up front, you get the molasses with a little chocolate, coffee, and licorice. Then it comes back and hits you with more of the same. My wife says it reminds her of bourbon. I agree to a certain extent. I feel like I'm eating a dark chocolate with bourbon a vanilla flavoring inside. With every sip I have to shout out in delight. I never want it to end. This is the greatest beer I've ever had! Sorry Kasteel.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - DEC 28, 2003
Co-Rated with Hopscotch. #40 of 115. Black hole black, tan creamy head. So much going on in this baby. Bourbon, toasted nuts, coffee, chocolate, dark fruits, oak and alcohol. Aroma and flavor is the about the same. Huge full bodied brew which in my book is an instant classic. Just freakin amazing...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopscotch (9113) - Indian River County, Florida, USA - DEC 28, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2008 Re-rate... The second batch (originally brewed in 2003, bottle #11 of 125, I think) as of July, 2005, rocked even harder than the first. Smells like a Símore... coconut, chocolate and a campfire roasted marshmallow. My only complaint is that the coffee nuances are almost entirely sucked out of the beer and into the barrel. Who cares? Incredible brew!....Original rating.... First batch... bottle... Co-rated with Scraff... #40 of 115 bottles. This beer rocks! Pours midnight black with no color... even when held up to very bright light. Light brown, creamy head. The aroma is of vanilla, roasted hazelnuts, bourbon, dark chocolate, burned cherries, American white oak and alcohol. The flavor mirrors the aroma with bourbon, espresso, bitter-sweet chocolate and plenty of warm alcohol. Ridiculously full-bodied with an alcoholic mouthfeel and mild carbonation. Lengthy, bitter and burnt-as-hell, alcoholic finish. This is world class beer! Too bad they didnít make more of it!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 27, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 3, 2006 Original Sample from Bottle 102 out of 115 (2002): This stout pours with a black as night body topped by a thin to medium thick brown head witha good amount of lacing. Wow, what a different aroma. The aroma is slightly sweet yet bitter and full of alcohol. A slightly smokey, woody character shows throuhg reminding me of a nice bourbon. The flavor is equally unique. It starts out slightly sweet and malty with a slight alcohol note and turns woody, smokey and roasty with a more prevelent alcohol note. After drinking half the bottle, the vanilla and licorice notes start showing through. This is a great beer. Itís full bodied, slightly tingly and warming. Definately a great beer to celebrate Christmas with. I have had this brew several times since this initial sampling and it keeps getting better and better with age. Iíve also had the pleasure of trying some of the upcoming releases of it and was again blown away.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 15, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2004 rerate---Aged an extra year after release, this beer is amazing.... The alcohol dissapated and its like coffe and whiskey..Bottle 75 out of 115: I had this expecting so much more than the original, but I was a little dissapointed. In the dark I could see that it pours a dark brown, not black as the original, and the flavor profile, which had a great smokey, oaky finish to it, was a little stronger in taste alcohol wise. And again, it poured with almost no head at all.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerguy101 (5278) - Newark, California, USA - DEC 10, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2005 Cask at OíBreins. Dark black color. Small head Aroma is chocolate, coffee. Wood. Bourbon and sweet. Full bodied Imperial Stout. Malts are coffee and chocolate, vanilla, dark fruit. Lots of bourbon and coffee flavors. This beer is everything the bottle version is and smoother if it is possible. Lots of coffee, vanilla and bourbon flavors. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. --------&# brown color. Medium head. Aroma is malts, dark sugar and fruits. Full bodied Imperial Stout. Malts are roasty, chocolate and coffee, with touches of vanilla and dark fruit. The brandy/bourbon flavor is evident. Nice blend of chocolate, wood and smoke. Very smooth. Bourbon and chocolate flavors blend well together. Touch of alcohol bite. Nice beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. 8-4-9-5-17