RATINGS: 823   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.34/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Special Markings: Gold foil neck and white numbering above rear label. Some bottles have paper labels, some do not.

Weíve matured our Russian Imperial Stout in premium bourbon barrels for up to one year to create the perfect blend of flavors. Notes of oak, vanilla, and bourbon add another level of complexity to this beerís already massive flavor profile of chocolate, Ryan Bros. Coffee, and roasted barley. Designed to be enjoyed now or aged in the bottle for years to come, this special release is truly a unique beer that is smooth as it is rare.

ksurkin (1021) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - DEC 17, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2009 on tap at toronado on the last night of my trip to san diego for rating #400! pours a gorgeous silky, jet black with a creamy, dark tan head and wonderful lacing. aroma is unbelievable with scents of dark chocolate cake, coconut, vanilla pudding, roasted walnuts, graham cracker, and subtle notes of fig, raisin, and oaked bourbon. flavor is simply perfect and amazingly complex with mildly sweet notes of german chocolate cake, heath bar toffee, brown sugar, and vanilla cream backed by notes of cold, mochachino coffee, hazelnut, and walnut with pefectly integrated woody, bourbon barrel notes. palate is thick and decadently rich with mild carbonation and a lingering, roasted, bittersweet dark chocolate and coffee finish. overall, a sublime beer experience. i still canít believe i was lucky enough to have planned to be at toronado on the last night of my first trip to SD and they threw this one on tap.

polkaudio (1) - California, USA - JAN 27, 2011 does not count
This was an amazing beer. Had a growler setting up for about 6 months. Was a little difficult to open, but was well worth the effort. The aroma of this amazing Stout really comes to life as it warms up to room temp.

whatsupstairs (112) - Inland Empire, California, USA - JUN 20, 2011
had about 9 or 10 2oz taste of this fine 09 vintage at the release of the same beer jet black the og it smelled like cigar guts it was a super rusted nail w/ a bite yet smooth as a kitten very good beer @ 9am SWAG

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - DEC 30, 2011
750ml bottle - Herring Creek beer tasting

Itís been awhile since I had a beer this stunning. Iíve had the opportunity to have the regular Speedway and itís always a pleasure to consume, but this is a showcase of what barrel aging can do to an already fantastic beer.

The beer pours out a basically perfect pour. At least a perfect pour to me. Completely black, dense light brown head, long lasting. An aroma just bursting at the seams with depth and complexity. Notes of bourbob, wood, anise, toffee, brown sugar, roastd malts, Tootsie Rolls, malt balls, milk chocolate, molasses...incredible.

The flavor profile echoes the aroma, but the intensity of the flavor is unmatched. Alcohol is much more present in the flavor (as expected) than the aroma, but even then it mixes well with the other flavors. Everything is so damned well balaced itís amazing. Mouthfeel is oily, creamy, dense. The beer just coats and clings to the glass and mouth like no other beer Iíve had before.

Simply put, this beer has everything that I want and look for in an imperial stout. Itís created amazingly well, and the time it spent in the bourbon barrel worked incredibly well. I cannot recommend this beer, if you can find it, enough.

kosko20 (352) - Bemidji, Minnesota, USA - MAR 2, 2012
So this is a beer I had March of 2010. I havenít been on RateBeer much the past two years because of some life changes. Regardless, I thought I had rated this beer, but apparently I hadnít. This beer was phenomenal. I had this along side with Russian River Pliny the Younger. My God I was in Heaven. Completely different from the PtY, but every bit as good. Strong, but smooth coffee flavor and aroma, with hints of oak and chocolate. Super creamy. Just incredible.

Savvy1982 (1705) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 6, 2012
I said it would never happen, that nothing would ever beat the J&J Oude Gueuze Blauw. But it happened. This is the perfect beer for me. I feel like a bit of a wanker, because Iíd like to be all effete, and pretend that Iím "so past Imperial Stout" but FUCK ME THIS WAS AMAZING!!! First off, huge thank to nbutler11, who remembered from a drunken conversation at RBWG that the BA Speedway was my most-wanted beer, and then sent me one, not asking the moon, but rather "just send me something". Thats... Thatís just something I donít have words for right now... It would be like generous, but generous isn;t even in the same league... here to begin with this one: Pours Opaque black, Opqaue deliberatey capitalized back there becuse light CANNOT pierce this stuff. The head is a very persistent dark tan, which just lingers, and lingers... Nose is creamed coconut, brandy beans, not even a suggestion of alcohol, just loads of vanilla, fresh-roast coffee, and layers of chocolate. Flavours are rather stunning as well: In my handwritten notes, I use the word "unfathomable" which Iím fairly certain is a first. Cream, cocoa, coconut, fudge, toasty barrel, French toast. I really never thought I would be so sure about a beer as to give it a 5, but here we are. "0The celestial ejaculate upon the bosom of Heaven." This is also in my handwritten notes. Underlined. Twice.

dctriman (59) - USA - MAY 31, 2013
This beer is amazing. Great color, great aroma, great palate, great flavor. Reminds me of BB4D. My favorite Speedway variant so far. Have yet to try Vietnamese or BA Kopi, though.

Ionlyrate5s (103) - New York, USA - SEP 7, 2014
Another perfect brew from folks at Alesmith. Roast, toast biscut and bourbon nose and flavor. Loved the added dimension of the barrel aging. Some slight sherry character also added to its perfection.

jflopsu (1257) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 14, 2014
Pours a dark black with brown head. Has a strong bourbon, coffee, and chocolate aroma. Starts a little sweet with cocoa but turns to really strong bourbon and dark liquors, some coffee and malts. A strong coffee, liquorish, and dark liquor aftertaste.

hopwine (670) - brooklynzzzzz, New York, USA - DEC 25, 2014
Good god this is amazing. Pitch black, no light seeping through even when put up to a lamp. Nose is vanilla, chocolate liqueur, wood. Flavor is flourless chocolate cake, moderate bourbon presence, prune, raisin, coffee is present but very much subdued relative to the normal speedway. Mouthfeel steers away from being too syrupy. Warming and pretty strong tannins encourage slow enjoyment.