overall

RATINGS: 654   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.32   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Special Markings: Gold foil neck and white numbering above rear label. Some bottles have paper labels, some do not.

ksurkin (1022) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - DEC 17, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2009 on tap at toronado on the last night of my trip to san diego for rating #400! pours a gorgeous silky, jet black with a creamy, dark tan head and wonderful lacing. aroma is unbelievable with scents of dark chocolate cake, coconut, vanilla pudding, roasted walnuts, graham cracker, and subtle notes of fig, raisin, and oaked bourbon. flavor is simply perfect and amazingly complex with mildly sweet notes of german chocolate cake, heath bar toffee, brown sugar, and vanilla cream backed by notes of cold, mochachino coffee, hazelnut, and walnut with pefectly integrated woody, bourbon barrel notes. palate is thick and decadently rich with mild carbonation and a lingering, roasted, bittersweet dark chocolate and coffee finish. overall, a sublime beer experience. i still canít believe i was lucky enough to have planned to be at toronado on the last night of my first trip to SD and they threw this one on tap.

polkaudio (1) - California, USA - JAN 27, 2011 does not count
This was an amazing beer. Had a growler setting up for about 6 months. Was a little difficult to open, but was well worth the effort. The aroma of this amazing Stout really comes to life as it warms up to room temp.

whatsupstairs (112) - Inland Empire, California, USA - JUN 20, 2011
had about 9 or 10 2oz taste of this fine 09 vintage at the release of the same beer jet black the og it smelled like cigar guts it was a super rusted nail w/ a bite yet smooth as a kitten very good beer @ 9am SWAG

GG (2019) - NorCal, California, USA - DEC 30, 2011
750ml bottle - Herring Creek beer tasting

Itís been awhile since I had a beer this stunning. Iíve had the opportunity to have the regular Speedway and itís always a pleasure to consume, but this is a showcase of what barrel aging can do to an already fantastic beer.

The beer pours out a basically perfect pour. At least a perfect pour to me. Completely black, dense light brown head, long lasting. An aroma just bursting at the seams with depth and complexity. Notes of bourbob, wood, anise, toffee, brown sugar, roastd malts, Tootsie Rolls, malt balls, milk chocolate, molasses...incredible.

The flavor profile echoes the aroma, but the intensity of the flavor is unmatched. Alcohol is much more present in the flavor (as expected) than the aroma, but even then it mixes well with the other flavors. Everything is so damned well balaced itís amazing. Mouthfeel is oily, creamy, dense. The beer just coats and clings to the glass and mouth like no other beer Iíve had before.

Simply put, this beer has everything that I want and look for in an imperial stout. Itís created amazingly well, and the time it spent in the bourbon barrel worked incredibly well. I cannot recommend this beer, if you can find it, enough.

drunkenpolack (319) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - FEB 3, 2012
Old Review from 2010. Poured from a growler - BA Speedway pours well you guessed it, pitch black. Not much head is formed. Small lacing of tan head around the glass. Now with a lot of barrel aged brews, youíre punched in the nose with whatever barrel the brew was aged in. In this case itís bourbon but youíre not really punched in the face by it here. Itís definitely there but I feel like this might be the best mixture and balance I have ever seen in a barrel aged brew. The bourbon didnít have to fight with the amazing espresso, dark chocolate, vanilla, and molasses. This is a complex brew but like I said this is the most balanced version of a barrel aged beer I have ever smelled. Taste is just like the smell. The bourbon might of been a little more active here but itís still balanced pretty much perfectly. The dark chocolate lingers on the palette but then the slighty burnt espresso comes in and washes it away. The brew ends with vanilla, brown sugar, and some dark fruit. I just canít explain how damn nice this beer is. If I had to drink one beer for the rest of my life this might just be it. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily, and sticks on the lips. Low carbonation, smooth, and creamy.

kosko20 (350) - Hopewell Junction, New York, USA - MAR 2, 2012
So this is a beer I had March of 2010. I havenít been on RateBeer much the past two years because of some life changes. Regardless, I thought I had rated this beer, but apparently I hadnít. This beer was phenomenal. I had this along side with Russian River Pliny the Younger. My God I was in Heaven. Completely different from the PtY, but every bit as good. Strong, but smooth coffee flavor and aroma, with hints of oak and chocolate. Super creamy. Just incredible.

Savvy1982 (1705) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 6, 2012
I said it would never happen, that nothing would ever beat the J&J Oude Gueuze Blauw. But it happened. This is the perfect beer for me. I feel like a bit of a wanker, because Iíd like to be all effete, and pretend that Iím "so past Imperial Stout" but FUCK ME THIS WAS AMAZING!!! First off, huge thank to nbutler11, who remembered from a drunken conversation at RBWG that the BA Speedway was my most-wanted beer, and then sent me one, not asking the moon, but rather "just send me something". Thats... Thatís just something I donít have words for right now... It would be like generous, but generous isn;t even in the same league... here to begin with this one: Pours Opaque black, Opqaue deliberatey capitalized back there becuse light CANNOT pierce this stuff. The head is a very persistent dark tan, which just lingers, and lingers... Nose is creamed coconut, brandy beans, not even a suggestion of alcohol, just loads of vanilla, fresh-roast coffee, and layers of chocolate. Flavours are rather stunning as well: In my handwritten notes, I use the word "unfathomable" which Iím fairly certain is a first. Cream, cocoa, coconut, fudge, toasty barrel, French toast. I really never thought I would be so sure about a beer as to give it a 5, but here we are. "0The celestial ejaculate upon the bosom of Heaven." This is also in my handwritten notes. Underlined. Twice.

dctriman (57) - USA - MAY 31, 2013
This beer is amazing. Great color, great aroma, great palate, great flavor. Reminds me of BB4D. My favorite Speedway variant so far. Have yet to try Vietnamese or BA Kopi, though.

zach8270 (3219) - Henrietta, New York, USA - FEB 19, 2014
(bottle - 750 ml - 2012 vintage) Dark black oily pour with a thin tan head. Huge aroma of coffee and bourbon with some cream and vanilla at the end. Flavor is just ungodly good. Bourbon and coffee and sweetness with more bourbon in the middle that really swirls around and just perks up the coffee and chocolate bitterness. Finishes smooth and sweet from the wood and vanilla. Incredible.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
OmegaX (1156) - Florida, USA - APR 29, 2012
Thanks to Deathcharms for this gem. This was on the top of my wants list after I first tried the original speedway stout. Here it goes. The nose was incredible with tons of bourbon and vanilla backed up with some chocolate, coconut, a touch of roast and more sweet vanilla notes. Wow. Such an inviting mix of aromas all balanced out to be equally noticeable. Pour is as expected. Black with a tan head. Viscous looking too. Taste wise there are lots of flavors I got from this. Obviously, there was a ton of bourbon and vanilla with chocolate, roast, raisin, molasses, and plum. No detection of alcohol at all. Such a good beer to just sit back and enjoy. Too good. Hopefully Iíll get to try another vintage of this beer some day.