overall

RATINGS: 1310   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Summer   IBU: 105   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Every year we anxiously await the warmer months to unleash this Double IPA, the summer edition of our YuleSmith seasonals. The flavor imparts orange, grapefruit, and tangerine hop notes with earthy, spicy, and resinous pine undertones. A sturdy malt backbone balances out the profound hop bitterness to create a refreshingly assertive and vibrant beer that offers an unapologetically bold expression of fresh American hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
greenhorn1 (850) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - MAY 20, 2006
A very complex beer. The aroma has a strong citrus and sweetness to it and pours a nice copper color with a thick head. You can feel the 8.5% alcohol, but it is not overwhelming. It has a big hop taste with a sweet malty aftertaste, very well balanced. Yule Smith may be a bit overrated and Iím not a big fan of Holiday Ales, but this imperial IPA is pretty damn good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
ampp (155) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - MAY 11, 2006
I smell honey-malt and citrus after I pour the first glass.. It is an amber brown color with a foamy head. the first sip is a mix of hop and malt with a slight alcohol sting. Has sort of a thick, sticky mouthfeel that I didnít like. Finishes hoppy. It was pretty good, but not a favorite for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BCAR (222) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - MAY 9, 2006
Very frothy, long-lasting head. Beautiful translucent golden/orange. Citrus and flora come across huge in my nose. Great balance here. Caramel malt, alcohol, along with the high hop profile. Expected a little more bitterness in the finish, but was pleasantly surprised.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Bartzilla (577) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 8, 2006
Hi. Me again. Good, not spectacular. Pretty overrated. Iíll take their standard IPA over this any day. Granted, I didnít sit down with a notepad when I drank this, but I do know that I ended up trading my gal for her Hoegaarden as opposed to making my way down to the bottom of the glass. Not a fan of holiday beers and, despite the hype, this was no exception.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - MAY 8, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2006 On tap: I donít get what all the fuss is about with this one. I have read pages and pages back on the reviews of this beer, and many people talk about it as though it is an extremely hoppy beer. I have now had the beer several times, and it pours relatively dark, and is VERY malty, with very little hop backing. Very sweet, somewhat strong on the alcohol. Strong nutmeg taste. A supremely overrated beer from a great brewery. In my opinion, even good brewers can make average beers. UPDATE: I officially like the Summer Version. I stick by my review --- The Winter is gross, the summer kicks ass. Why in the world are there not two seperate entries for this beer? They are completely different. So, hereís the breakdown: I give the winter version a 3.3 rating and the summer version a solid 4 rating. Put those together, and I came up with a 3.6 overall rating.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Papsoe (25073) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 6, 2006
(Bottle 65 cl) Pours a hazy orangey golden with a creamy, off-white head. Surprisingly subdued hop aroma. Very full body with lots of caramel malt and a high residual sweetness. Marked hoppy finish, but itís a somewhat muddy hop profile leaving a somewhat confusing impression. Some alcohol in the finish, herbal cough syrup like. Honestly this was a disappointment, but thanks heaps to sk8viking for sharing nonetheless. 220406

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cbkschubert (2900) - BFE, Arizona, USA - APR 30, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 17, 2006 22 oz. bottle - Pours a golden color with a light off white head that lasts. Nice stringy lacing. Aroma is mostly malt. Bready and toasty with some citrus and pine in the background. Flavor is well balanced. Has a very smooth bitterness. Most 2IPA have a harsh hop bite. This beer is so smooth. Medium body. No alcohol warming. An excellent beer! Iím going to have to start hordiní this stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hezron (611) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - APR 29, 2006
Christmas bottle, thanks to DavidP for breaking this out at the Dark Lord release party. Pine aroma, very nice and soft but strong at the same time with a touch of citrus. Pale amber-orange with an off-white head. Piney flavors, fairly sweet with a piney smoke in the finish. Like smoked pine needles...very woody. Interesting and not what I was expecting. Medium body, creamy mouthfeel...very good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - APR 27, 2006
Stunningly surprising. Iíve tasted so many Imperial IPAís and Im thinking Iíll never smell a new aroma. Well here it is. Its like the champagne of Imperial IPAS. A wonderful malt and hop efferescent fragrance that just seemed unique,the taste was definitely over the top,yet very under control. Almost the perfect combination in all respects,one I will look to trade for each year

Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 27, 2006
Bottle. Hazy orange colour with a big tan head. Malty, fruity, caramel, fruity, hoppy aroma and taste, light sweet. Medium to full body with a dry finish. nise!!!