overall

RATINGS: 1277   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Summer   IBU: 105   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Every year we anxiously await the warmer months to unleash this Double IPA, the summer edition of our YuleSmith seasonals. The flavor imparts orange, grapefruit, and tangerine hop notes with earthy, spicy, and resinous pine undertones. A sturdy malt backbone balances out the profound hop bitterness to create a refreshingly assertive and vibrant beer that offers an unapologetically bold expression of fresh American hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
vvesside (256) - California, USA - JUL 1, 2013
Iíd heard good things about this one and it did not disappoint. Bottle from Nugget. Lots of complex hop flavors, unique citrus profile, pine, spices... very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jvittorio4187 (255) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - OCT 12, 2007
Clear in the bottle. Pours a hazy amber. Heavy grapfruit on the nose with a hint of orange. Pine and grapefruit on the palate with sweet malt. Finish not over bitter, balanced, with a slight sweetness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
mustang3 (254) - Whitby, CANADA - MAR 6, 2005
The biggest prize from my trip to California. Pours a hazy orange colour. I had a bit of a cold, but I could still smell a a lot of citrusy hops in the nose. Very well balanced for an IIPA. Fantastic taste of grapefruit followed by pine, then mellowing out as I can taste the malt backbone. Well crafted beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
greig (253) - Hamilton, NEW ZEALAND - APR 26, 2009
Nice IIPA, but I think itís suffered in transit to the other side of the world. Sweetish, with very nice toffee malt flavours. Hops are there, but bitterness is not enough to balance the malt. Hop flavour is citrus/pine US hop. Almost sickly, but still very satisfying beer. I loved it, but it didnít live up to my expectations of mindblowingness. Iíll need to try it again fresh. Other comments here suggest it doesnít age well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mkade8883 (250) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 1, 2009
Aroma: Pine, grapefruit and citrus Appearance: Pretty light golden color with 1-2 fingers white head. Flavor: Nice hoppy bitterness. Good flavor. Palate: Lively carbonation, long finish. Overall: Pretty good DIPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
strangaj (250) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - JUN 24, 2007
í07. Pours a clear copper with tan head. Aroma has a hint of spice to the yeasty hops. Flavor certainly has that spice and hops with a bitter and dry finish. The flavors are a little overpowering and the too bitter for my taste but the high alcohol content is well masked.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
41cubs (249) - , New Jersey, USA - SEP 4, 2010
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2010 Smells grassy and mineral-like with some bright floral hops and maybe a little sour orange. Flavor is herbal and floral with raw greens hanging out behind a bitter front. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and leaves a tacky laquered finish to your mouth, This is really an example of letting the hops stand on their own rather than bolstering them with a hefty grain bill, this is for the hop inclined no doubt. A nice beer that Iím glad to have tried. Thanks Alesmith. 2010 22oz.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 14, 2006
Pours a slightly-hazy amber with good-sized white head that lasts. Very sweet smelling for an IPA, with citrus and other fruits dominating. In the mouth, the alcohol is quite evident. It starts out sweet, with similar notes as the aroma, plus a pretty pronounced hit of caramel, malt and vanilla. Finishes balanced. Possibly the best IPA Iíve ever had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
sstackho (249) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 24, 2007
22oz bottle purchased for $4 (half-price, they say - itís November) from Bauer Wines in Boston. Pours with a ridiculous unforgiving head that is delaying my consumption and enjoyment of this beer. Underneath the head there is a thin sliver of cloudy light gold. Strong bitter aroma. Whoa, this is strong stuff. Tastes more like hard liquor than a beer on first taste. Letís checkie the olí ABV... only 8.5%! For a second I was wondering if this was in the 12%+ range. I swear, Iím getting some weak whisky tastes here (disclaimer: not a whisky drinker). Took a quick look at reviews on here and donít see anyone concurring with me - wonder if mine has spoiled at all? OK, as the beer goes on, the review progresses. Iím getting a bit less of the whiskey flavours, but Iím still not getting what I consider to be typical hoppiness from the style. An hour later, I just tried pouring the last third of the bottle and the process creates as much head in the bottle as there is beer. What is going on with this bottle? It pains me a bit to give such a highly rated beer (100th percentile!) a mediocre score, but I cannot tell a lie when it comes to this bottle. An experience, none-the-less.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kepano (247) - Los Angeles, California, USA - OCT 15, 2006
As I spend time in France and Belgium I often feel an urge to revisit styles such as the IIPA upon my return to America. Though experience tells me that these hoppiest of beers are decidedly unfit for my palate, I find myself momentarily craving their quixotic flavor after a consecution of graceful efforts. YuleSmith was to be just that, a sacrifice to appease my palate, and remind myself why I so often dismiss the entire style. As my first taste of AleSmith (courtesy of FlacoAlto), my expectations were logically clashing by virtue of the brewerís revered status and my apathy towards IIPAs. The beer amazes upon my delicate pour, revealing a brooding pumpkin hue packed with a dusty yellow cake which proceeds to metamorphose into what seems a feudal citadel circumscribed by its appropriate trench and barricaded in thick lace. The nose is initially dominated by rich mango nectar and juicy aromas of orange and pineapple. Biscuity malts, characterized by burnt butter and an alcoholic cedar quality perform as the primary base for an exciting array of scents including black pepper, coriander, ginger, spruce and a hint of grapefruit. Hops are evident in the aroma, but attain their full potency on the tongue beside prominent coriander, caramel malts and cafť au lait. The flavor appears rich at first, building to a creamy apex before a generic hoppy and spicy burn emerges to clumsily seal the palate in an inevitable bitterness. An appeasing apple flavor appears in the aftertaste, but I found the finishing tones rather disappointing. Nonetheless, YuleSmith is to me one of the most enjoyable examples of the style and an excellent introduction to AleSmithís potential.