overall

RATINGS: 1288   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Summer   IBU: 105   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Every year we anxiously await the warmer months to unleash this Double IPA, the summer edition of our YuleSmith seasonals. The flavor imparts orange, grapefruit, and tangerine hop notes with earthy, spicy, and resinous pine undertones. A sturdy malt backbone balances out the profound hop bitterness to create a refreshingly assertive and vibrant beer that offers an unapologetically bold expression of fresh American hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
tcruicks (282) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - DEC 24, 2006
It smells very hoppy, with some citrus fruits and metallic. It tastes very similar with a dry and bitter finish and medium body. Its also very sweet, almost a caramel sweetness. There is definitely some alcohol in there, noticeable in the flavor more than the aroma.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pressboxjoe (282) - , New Jersey, USA - AUG 27, 2011
Bottle. First bottle was delicious - everything I expect in an IIPA but with a very pleasing sweet malt contrast to the bitterness - for whatever reason its yeast qualities reminded me of the best of Rogue’s beers. Second bottle was compromised somehow - or my taste buds were off - but this is a delicious beer. Wish both bottles had been as tasty as the first.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
12many (277) - Alaska, USA - OCT 21, 2010
Foggy, light amber with a head resembling stiff egg whites. Lacing hugs the sides nicely. I wish they would extend the appearance rating from 5 to 10 so I could give it a 9. Floral nose and citrus on the tongue with alcohol coming through dry at the end. Plain malts with a slight honey flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Marthinus (276) - DENMARK - MAR 7, 2010
Light amber. Nice creamy head with long duration also in mouth. Direct hoppy aroma.Bitter. Too bitter without big complexity. smoothy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
505 (271) - Echo Park, California, USA - JUL 8, 2006
I am terribly confused. I got a bottle of this expecting a double IPA, but it tasted nothing of the sort. It was very Belgian tasting. It had a kind of floral aroma, but mostly caramel and yeast. The flavor was quite yeasty and sweet, similar to Horny Devil actually. Is there some chance I got the wrong beer? Is there another Yulesmith beer that Alesmith makes? It’s the same bottle as shown. I love Alesmith IPA, but if I’m judging this as an IIPA, I couldn’t give it much over a 3, but if it was something else, surely higher. I’ll try and find it again and see what happens. The bottle could have been too old?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - MAY 12, 2008
This was a bottle from last year, but damn it was still amazing. I’d love to try a fresh bottle. You could tell the aroma died down a bit because of the huge amount of bitterness, but other than that it tasted great, with a nice malty backbone and a great hop flavor to accompany the high IBU level. One of the better DIPA’s I’ve tried.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 4, 2006
I thought this was excellent. Not your super hopped up, nothing else flavor. It was well balanced, for IIPA, or so I felt. One individiual asked me if I could smell a little holiday cheer in this one, and in the middle of the heat wave we have had here, a nice refreshing smell of the christmas floral was very nice. Maybe it was my nose playing tricks on me, but I could smell the season. There was also the floral taste on this one followed by a warm alocohol feel. Excellent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
iugrad93 (266) - Indiana, USA - JAN 6, 2012
Cloudy maize color with white head, little lacing. Aromas of earthy malts, mustiness. I didn’t get citrus in this one as described. Flavor is light sweet and bitter, a bit alcoholy. Long dry finish, some alcohol bite on the back end. Overall, not bad, but the alcohol is not hidden as well other DIPA’s. A bit malty, but good flavor.

slitcher (266) - Freeport, Illinois, USA - JUN 9, 2013
Yes, a perfect 5. I can find no faults with this beer...great appearance, aroma and body and a perfect balance. Nice bitter finish, not too sweet and the alcohol is well hidden.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
backdaft (264) - Menasha Red Light District, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 9, 2014
Bomber. Pours a beautiful golden color. Thick, dense, pillowy head leaves some substantial lacing. Aromas of grapefruit and pine resin abound. Taste follows with pine resin and grapefruit showing heavily. A bit sweet with the malt, but the lingering bitterness makes up for that. Medium body with a dry bitter finsh. Just a bit of alcohol making its presence known. Hop forward West Coast DIPA.