overall

RATINGS: 1278   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Summer   IBU: 105   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Every year we anxiously await the warmer months to unleash this Double IPA, the summer edition of our YuleSmith seasonals. The flavor imparts orange, grapefruit, and tangerine hop notes with earthy, spicy, and resinous pine undertones. A sturdy malt backbone balances out the profound hop bitterness to create a refreshingly assertive and vibrant beer that offers an unapologetically bold expression of fresh American hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kepano (247) - Los Angeles, California, USA - OCT 15, 2006
As I spend time in France and Belgium I often feel an urge to revisit styles such as the IIPA upon my return to America. Though experience tells me that these hoppiest of beers are decidedly unfit for my palate, I find myself momentarily craving their quixotic flavor after a consecution of graceful efforts. YuleSmith was to be just that, a sacrifice to appease my palate, and remind myself why I so often dismiss the entire style. As my first taste of AleSmith (courtesy of FlacoAlto), my expectations were logically clashing by virtue of the brewer’s revered status and my apathy towards IIPAs. The beer amazes upon my delicate pour, revealing a brooding pumpkin hue packed with a dusty yellow cake which proceeds to metamorphose into what seems a feudal citadel circumscribed by its appropriate trench and barricaded in thick lace. The nose is initially dominated by rich mango nectar and juicy aromas of orange and pineapple. Biscuity malts, characterized by burnt butter and an alcoholic cedar quality perform as the primary base for an exciting array of scents including black pepper, coriander, ginger, spruce and a hint of grapefruit. Hops are evident in the aroma, but attain their full potency on the tongue beside prominent coriander, caramel malts and café au lait. The flavor appears rich at first, building to a creamy apex before a generic hoppy and spicy burn emerges to clumsily seal the palate in an inevitable bitterness. An appeasing apple flavor appears in the aftertaste, but I found the finishing tones rather disappointing. Nonetheless, YuleSmith is to me one of the most enjoyable examples of the style and an excellent introduction to AleSmith’s potential.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bittermestupid (247) - Canton, Ohio, USA - JUL 12, 2011
Pours golden yellow with a huge rocky beige head. Smells of fresh grapefruit, orange, honey, grass, mango, lemon and some floral hops. Taste of grapefruit, lemon, pine, honey, caramel malts, mango and some orange. Mouthfeel medium thick and finish is long and citrus bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
meathookjones (245) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - DEC 16, 2004
Finally I have got my hands on a few bottles of this highly regarded Double IPA. Comes in the standard 22oz silk-screened bomber from Ale Smith. This pours out a deep orange with a full off-white head. As the head gradually fades sheets of lace are left stick to the glass for the duration of this beer. Strong hoppy scent with floral and citric hops all over the place that only got stronger as this brew warmed. There was also a bit of sweet caramel that showed itself now and again when it managed to work its way through all that hoppy goodness. Starts off with a bitter citric hop tastes that blends with earthy hop notes and a piney flavor. Malt is present but only in a capacity to keep the hops from overrunning this beer. The after taste is a satisfying dry bitterness that leaves you craving the next sip. Mouthfeel is just about full with excellent carbonation and creaminess to it. Very drinkable for a DIPA and I highly recommend stocking up if you come across this excellent brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
kbjames (244) - Utah, USA - NOV 22, 2006
This is a very good beer that I very much enojoyed. Tons of hops in the beer, almost a hit of earthiness. Yeah a strong malt body to it, not thin at all. I would highly recommend this beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mtjoseph (244) - Murderapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 24, 2011
Bomber courtesy of thome50. Pours a clean golden orange with a small head that faded fast to a thin film. Soft, and pleasant aroma of some grapefruit and orange citrus, some fresh flowers, and a hair of grass. Simple, yet elegant. Flavors bright grapefruit skin, Mandarin orange, slightly resinous hops, and a solid malt backbone. Finish is not even very bitter and is reminiscent of orange juice. Light bodied and dangerous. Nice. I dig.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
JanVittrup (243) - København V, DENMARK - FEB 24, 2010
Amber unfiltered with lumps. Nice head, retention many bubble sizes. Hoppy aroma.fresh. complex. Bitter. Simple. Medium body, mouthwatering due to bitterness. Not all I had hoped. Too bitter without complexity. Nice head, not nice lumps. Purchased in ølbutikken.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lightbias (242) - USA - JUN 23, 2014
A moderate light orange liquid topped with a respectable but soft, off-white head. Aroma is grapefruit, sweet oranges (wow!) and pine resin. Malt does not override the hops, but makes it terribly sweet and easy to swill. Be careful of this one! The moderate bitterness clings for only a short while but the underlying malty sweetness is a little cloying for me. Loved it cold, am liking it less as it warms. Still a very good brew, but not staying with me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 14, 2005
Extremely bitter but no balance and none of the craftmanship of every other Alesmith offering. Not a bad beer but I’ve come to expect so much from these guys that Yulesmith falls well short. Their IPA kills this for flavor and substance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chris2431 (241) - Oregon, USA - JUN 22, 2012
Draft. Wow......what a surprise from a light colored IPA. This thing boasts huge citrus hop aromas and a well balanced bitterness. Well done!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Juancho (239) - Georgia, USA - JAN 20, 2007
Amazing. Thick, complex, bright, hoppy, acidic, citrusy, all blended together to perfection. these guys do a great job. One of my favorite.