overall

RATINGS: 1171   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Every year we anxiously await the warmer months to unleash this Double IPA, the summer edition of our Yulesmith Seasonals. The flavor imparts orange, grapefruit, and tangerine hop notes with earthy, spicy, and resinous pine undertones. A sturdy malt backbone balances out the profound hop bitterness to create a refreshingly assertive and vibrant beer that offers an unapologetically bold expression of fresh American hops.
Summer Yulesmith’s citrusy aroma pairs well with many Mexican and Thai dishes, while its bitterness complements the sweetness of rich pork dishes like BLTs or spare ribs. Brawny, intensely flavored cheeses like Danish blues and aged white cheddars are also an effective foil to the aggressive flavor profile of this Imperial IPA.
Serve in a Pint at 45-50*F.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SHIG (3447) - Wasilla, Alaska, USA - DEC 3, 2007
Bottle at Toms Ultimate Glasgow Tasting: Poured a amber with white bubbles. Aroma is sweet fruit and hoppy. Taste was citrus and hops, burns a bit, however that burn is a pleasant one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
georgekappus (296) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - JAN 4, 2008
Bottle. Pours a light amber with a fluffy off white head. Aroma was hoppy, citrusy, and spicy (nutmeg, cinnamon). The taste matched the aroma with hops, citrus, and a touch of spice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Oakes (11786) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 11, 2004
Hazy orangey-amber colour. Deep orangey hop aroma with pine and earthy amber malts. Very bitter and hugely orangey, piney. Chewy malt backbone helps balance things out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - MAY 8, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2006 On tap: I don’t get what all the fuss is about with this one. I have read pages and pages back on the reviews of this beer, and many people talk about it as though it is an extremely hoppy beer. I have now had the beer several times, and it pours relatively dark, and is VERY malty, with very little hop backing. Very sweet, somewhat strong on the alcohol. Strong nutmeg taste. A supremely overrated beer from a great brewery. In my opinion, even good brewers can make average beers. UPDATE: I officially like the Summer Version. I stick by my review --- The Winter is gross, the summer kicks ass. Why in the world are there not two seperate entries for this beer? They are completely different. So, here’s the breakdown: I give the winter version a 3.3 rating and the summer version a solid 4 rating. Put those together, and I came up with a 3.6 overall rating.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pinkzambia (1395) - Boise, Idaho, USA - SEP 21, 2006
22 oz. BottleCloudy goldish copper with a white fzzy head. Interesting aroma - dominant hops seem to be hidden from the aroma and more of a light, sweet aroma of herbal cologne. The flavor seems to be a bit off for an IPA or 2 IPA for that matter. It has flavors of cardboard, something a little sweet (I am having trouble identifying it), and hairspray. It has an average body that has a smooth finish. I guess I expected more from AleSmith. Thanks to Bizzle BuckeyeBoy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
OldGrowth (2478) - North Carolina, USA - SEP 24, 2006
2006 Bottle, from my last visit to Julio’s before I left Mass (sniff, sniff). Good nose, sweet. Caramel, vanilla. Kind of a toasty grain to it. Butter, not in a bad way though. orange, grapefruit. Clean brownish orange color, Massive head that needed a while to go away. Not sure if it was just residue from the head or it if had good lace too. Bitter flavor, Grapefruit, though not a biting type, Sour, Hint of a yeasty nuttiness. Medium to thick body, smooth oily mouthfeel, bitter finish. Huh, this falls into the sum is less than the whole of it parts(However you say that) Seemed like this was more amber than ipa to me. This was the one I packed in my luggage so maybe that explains it massive foam. I dunno. Tasty enough, didn’t grab me like some of Alesmiths other offerings. Oh well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerandBlues2 (9071) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - OCT 16, 2006
Bottle from realale420. Pours mahagony with a patchy and rocky off-white head, edgy. Aroma is huge hops (pine, floral and citrus), caramel nutty lightly roasted malt (biscuit), yeast (sour dough) and a perfume alcohol nose. Heavy bitterness, moderate acidity, malt and yeast flavor is overpowered by the hoppy flowers, citrus bite and pine sweetness. Medium bodied, fizzy and dry palate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ryan (3187) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - NOV 9, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 15, 2006 Bottle from nolankowal. Light amber body with a large pillowy, off-white head. The aroma is mango, grapefruit, orange and just a touch of caramel. One of the best citrus hop noses I’ve experienced. The flavor is moderately sweet caramel and toffee, bitter orange rind and grapefruit. The caramel sweetness really wears on me as I work my way through this one. Medium/full body with a chewy texture and bitter, dry finish with a touch of tartness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - JUL 28, 2007
Thanks Drewbeerme for hooking me up with a bomber of this. I believe it is ’07 simply because Andrew wouldn’t drink anything else but a fresh IIPA. Copper, hazy color with huge, long lasting, creamy white head. Lots of citrus in the aroma, a little pine, a little grain/grass and just the faintest bit of caramel. Flavor is pine, a little dough, pretty much all juicy/resin hops and some alc and little soap. Med body with a creamy carb feel. Looks beautiful but overall a very unbalanced hopbomb, I keep wanting to like it more than I do.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
cgarvieuk (13160) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - DEC 2, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 19, 2010 Bottle at Toms Ultimate Glasgow Tasting ... Golden orange ... Good slightly sweet american hop nose ... Good balance but too much hop for me lots oan lots of hop resins ... very intence....3.5... bottle at brewdog bar ... amber ... fruity hop nose ... very tropical s 3.6