overall

RATINGS: 1201   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Every year we anxiously await the warmer months to unleash this Double IPA, the summer edition of our Yulesmith Seasonals. The flavor imparts orange, grapefruit, and tangerine hop notes with earthy, spicy, and resinous pine undertones. A sturdy malt backbone balances out the profound hop bitterness to create a refreshingly assertive and vibrant beer that offers an unapologetically bold expression of fresh American hops.
Summer Yulesmith’s citrusy aroma pairs well with many Mexican and Thai dishes, while its bitterness complements the sweetness of rich pork dishes like BLTs or spare ribs. Brawny, intensely flavored cheeses like Danish blues and aged white cheddars are also an effective foil to the aggressive flavor profile of this Imperial IPA.
Serve in a Pint at 45-50*F.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
illidurit (2115) - Petaluma, California, USA - FEB 2, 2008
Golden amber color with an absurdly sticky head that leaves unparalleled lacing on the glass. Aroma is floral and citrusy hops with a very sweet maltiness. Flavor follows the aroma, with a nice dose of fruity hops and a sumptuous caramel malt profile that melts into a solid hop bitterness. Rich and luxurious on the palate.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
zizzybalubba (1380) - Elizabeth City, North Carolina, USA - AUG 22, 2009
22 oz. bottle from Jungle Jim’s in Fairfield, OH. Aroma of grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and tangerines. Pours a hazy golden orange with a creamy white head. Delicious bitter hop flavor of pineapple, fresh cut grass, grapefruit, and flowers. Moderate alcohol burn in the back of the throat. This is exceptional. One of my new favorite all-time beers.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BennyTicklez (621) - USA - DEC 27, 2004
This one lived up to the hype. Pours a bright amber/copper with a creamy bubbling off-white head. Aroma is the best of any beer I have ever sampled. Sharp citrus hops. Grapefruits jammed up in your nose. Taste is similar to aroma, huge pine and grapefruit hop taste. Not over done. Toungue gets a twinge of bitterness at start, then sweet fruityness settles in with the aftertaste. This stuff is great.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
kmpitz2 (21) - Tennessee, USA - MAR 10, 2005
This beer pours very nice deep amber color with 3 fingers of head that fall to 2 fingers. The nose is just wow. The hops are so bright and full. Pine and citrus and a hint of underlying caramel sweetness. The flavor is more subdued that the nose would tell you. Wow. I really like it. There is a really deep caramel sweetness overlayed heavily with a fine balance between the pine and citrus. Very nice. The feel is just as thick as would be expected. Drinkability is also grand for a beer of this size and magnitude. Wow. I think I am in love. Great great beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
pjk33 (389) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 9, 2006
22 oz bomber. We shared this at the 2005 beer exchange and I do believe that Ruination has been beaten for me. This was a tremendous 2IPA with a ridiculous aroma of grapefruit, pine, orange, lemon, pineapple, bitter hops, spice, sweet malt, caramel, and such a mouthfeel as it slides down the throat. I was utterly blown away by the flavors of this fabulous brew. Creamy, silky, explosive, fullbodied, perfectly balanced between hops and malt along with a great spiciness that is almost too good to describe. I loved this beer and I cannot wait to get my hands on more of it. This is so much better than 3 Floyds, I can’t even believe that they are on the same page of 2IPA’s. Nothing that I can say will prepare you for the joy of drinking some of this fine, fine ale. Go get some as soon as you can. Tell them I sent you!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Birdiebeagle (958) - Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 8, 2006
Bottle Pours a murky amber with a good fizzy off white head. Lasts fairly well and has better than average lacing. The aroma is a wonderful mix of malts and hops. Has good chocolate, carmel malts and nice pine and grapefruit hops. The real pleasure is when it hits your mouth. Has a great carbonation with a medium body. Wonderful flavors for both the malt and hops. An excellent durationand an even better ending, no strong aftertaste but just enough to keep you hoping you don’t run out. Finish has the perfect amount of bitterness. This is IMHO the best beer I have had. The great people at Ale Smith must distribute east immediately.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
dennishopper (1) - USA - SEP 28, 2006 does not count
this is my favorite beer. Ever since this wonderful beer was released I have a hard time selecting beer...nothing will come close!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Gorbalev (2906) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 15, 2007
Bottle shared with the crew in late November. Copper, good sized white head. Aroma is full of citrus and malt - there is a citrus combination here I have never experienced before, wow. Taste - what else is there to say? Bitter, citrusy, like drinking orange juice with body and kick. Perfectly balanced, simply one of the finest beers I ever had a chance to try. The perfect example of a strong IPA (Double, Imperial, whatever). If I was stuck on a deserted island (sans Smoke Monsters) I could survive on this alone.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - AUG 6, 2007
Hoppy nose of flowers & evergreen, no shortage of citrus. The brew pours clear bronze with amber highlights. The nice cascade resolves into a mountainous white rocky head that is fully lasting and leaves great lace. The flavor is complex as would be expected. Sweet, acidic, and pronounced bitter finish. The full body is super creamy and soft.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ColoradoMatty (16) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - AUG 27, 2009
Oh my good God! I know an excellent DIPA when I taste one, and this it IT! 22oz bomber thanks to an awesome trader. Nose is light and deceiving. There is an unsurpassed smoothness between this most DIPAs. It’s light… and yet has a very hoppy bite. Alcohol is well hidden. A nearly 360 degree sheet of lacing exists that shows every sip . Drinking this beer makes me happy and makes me want more. I high recommend.