AleWerks Winter Hop

(RETIRED)

Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.62/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 279   ABV: 9.3%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MaltDawg (1344) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUN 5, 2009
(Sample Date: 3/13/2009 Source:Other) Light American hop nose with some supporting caramel sweetness. Clear dark amber with fluffy off white head. Lots of caramel and crystal malt flavors. Moderately fruity with some punch in the finish. Medium body with some alcohol warming. Kind of a imperial amber I guess. Bitterness is assertive.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DocLock (7854) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 17, 2009
Draft at Green Leafe New Town, and I got the last 2 glasses of the last keg. The pour was hazy coppery with off-white head. Nose was intense wet piney hops, caramel malt, tangerine, and spicy notes. Full bodied flavor with heavy hops, citrus, pineapple, caramel malt, spices that were x-masy, and very well hidden alcohol. This beer was the best beer I had last week in Virginia, and I thank the Beer Gods that that keg held out for 2 pints for me. I missed out on the growler, but that’s a bit selfish of me, because I will remeber those 2 pints forever. Without a doubt, a surprise of the year for me, and one of the top 3 WAW beers I have ever quaffed. Bravo!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 26, 2009
Clear deep amber body with ruby highlights and a medium creamy off-white head. Sweet caramel and floral, citrus and resiny hop aroma. sweet floral and resiny hop flavor on a caramel background. Medium full body with moderate carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheBeerGod (5249) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - JAN 17, 2009
Draft at Greene Leafe New Town on 1-17-09. Copper pour with a short white head. Nose is very hoppy and malty with caramel and slight spicy notes. taste is equally hoppy and spicy with more caramel, pine notes, and herbal notes with soft alcohol. Rather rich at times. Body is medium to medium-full with creamy carbonation. Ends with more spicy notes, some caramel, chocolate nuts, and sweet malts. Light pine throughout. Rather tasty!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Butters (3763) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JAN 13, 2009
On tap at the brewery. Kinda reminded me of a weak Imperial IPA, but I can easily agree with the American Strong Ale categorization. Pours a murky orange with big bubble near white head that does not hold too well. Very nice fruity hop aroma that translates over in the flavor. Cascade and ammarillo are obvious. Over 9% abv?! Very well masked, in fact, I couldn’t taste it at all. Medium body has a syrupy quality to it and medium carbonation. Another solid Alewerks that is certainly worthy of being added to the Brewmaster Reserve line.