Alexander Keiths India Pale Ale

overall
Brewed by Oland Brewery (AB-InBev)
Style: Golden Ale/Blond Ale
Halifax, Canada

RATINGS: 655   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.15   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Nova Scotiaís most popular beer, Alexander Keithís India Pale Ale is fully fermented, mellow-aged for smoothness and uses balanced North American flavour and bittering hops to create a unique, malty flavour. Alexander Keithís India Pale Ale is smooth with a slightly floral hop character and a sweet flavour delivery.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
BeerAndPonies (30) - Medicine Hat, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 18, 2014
355 ml can from a 15-pack from Liquor Depot, served in an undimpled mug. Pours a light straw color with a large-bubbled white head that lasts a few minutes and leaves blots and islands of lace. Aroma is thoroughly unlike an ale and much more like a lager, although a hint of floral hop does come through the mainly grainy, citrusy scent. Flavor consists of lightly sweet malt, rice, and lemon; any hops are vacant except for bittering. Body is thin, with a fairly high carbonation; served very cold, it can potentially lead to uncomfortable gassiness. Crisp, mildly bitter finish, like a lager. Itís nowhere near the style of an IPA and, as a pale lager, is an undistinguished but serviceable hot-weather quencher.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Zeswaft (1399) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 12, 2014
Was skeptical that the waitress didnt bring me the rolling rock that my coworker ordered. íNuff said.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
Pizz5116 (61) - Bayville, New Jersey, USA - OCT 31, 2014
Aroma is faint and no clear characteristics. Pours a clear yellow with little to no head. Taste is faintly there with taste of bitter water beer. Not an IPA by any means.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
RhetoricalAns (385) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 6, 2014
Bottle, can, draft, whatever. Clear pale yellow with some white bubbles up top. Dull grain aroma and taste but thatís it. watery throughout.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
HippyHop (268) - Quebec, CANADA - SEP 23, 2014
I found this cheap whore of a beer buried in the back of my fridge. It was left there by a friend, who lost all sense of taste in a tragic ghost pepper accident (all that to say I donít judge him for drinking this swill.....ah who am I kidding, of course I do). Everything is wrong with this beer. For starters, calling this an IPA is about as disingenuous as me listing my body type as "athletic" on match.com. Never mind the IP, this atrocity is barely an A (I would argue it tastes more like a generic lager than anything else). Secondly, none of the virtues extolled in the description above are actually present. Telling me the bottle was full of unicorn tears wouldíve been more believable than the idiotic fluff they put in the description. Thereís no floral hop character. There is no unique, malty character. Itís just a shitty macro beer that smells like cat piss and apple juice, and tastes about the same (although there is a lovely skunk flavour in there as well, like a Molson Canadian and a Heineken had unprotected sex and nine months Alexander Keithís was born). In fairness there IS a nondescript crispness to the finish but thereís no flavour there - unless vaguely dry is a flavour. The "unique, malty flavour" is grain/cereal (a grain-based beverage that tastes like grain? Why thatís brilliantly progressive!), and the hop presence is virtually nonexistent in terms of flavour. I call this beer the noid (because itís definitely something you want to avoid).

1.4
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
neurbob (3) - - AUG 28, 2014 does not count
Twice I have been deceived while visiting Canada into ordering their version of an "IPA". Never again! This is one of the lamest beers I have partaken of since playing beer pong in college. On tap at 2 otherwise good restaurants in Canada. Little aroma. Yellow-Golden. Where are the hops? Not much else in there. Canít disagree with most of the previous ratings.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
sam_rates_beer (23) - Manitoba, CANADA - AUG 19, 2014
Didn't bother pouring it out of the bottle. Why bother, although, I can imagine that it would look pale yellow like watered down urine. Tastes much better to be sure. I would get a dull headache drinking 6 or more, a 7th would probably clear that up though. Calling it an IPA smacks of east coast humour.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
KansaiBeerLvrs (2406) - Kyoto, JAPAN - AUG 12, 2014
Bottle at my parentís house. A very lager like clear gold. Sugary sweet light malts with some fruity notes as well. Medium bodied and pretty smooth. The taste is an inoffensive sugary sweetness with light malt notes it is ok but are you sure it isnít a lager? Not at all what a modern IPA is more the lobotomies version that existed in the 1980s.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
bellco33 (389) - Willington, Connecticut, USA - JUL 25, 2014
Poured from a bottle into a coffee mug: Pours clear yellow with a white frothy head. Aroma of sweet corn, grass, and coffee mug. Taste is that of an American lager with less skunk. If you blind folded me and told me this was Molson Canadian I would believe you. No trace of hops, bitterness, or anything that defines an IPA. Thereís nothing good about this, but itís not repulsive either. Meeh.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
exportrus (1) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JUL 22, 2014 does not count
I am not sure why people are giving this beer such a low rating but I am basically a single malt scotch drinker. With single malt or good tequila you aim for a nice smooth drink with a little bite. When it come to beers I also want a nice smooth beer, especially in the summer. Anyway, to me this is very smooth and nice. If I can get the same affect from drinking a smooth beer why drink something harsh. Just my two cents. I will drink this beer in the summer...no doubt about it.