Allagash 11th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 223   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
To acknowledge this yearís anniversary, our 11th, Allagashís brewers decided to use a champagne yeast for both the primary and secondary fermentations. This beer was brewed with both Cascade and Northern Brewer hops and copious amounts of Belgian Aromatic Malt to achieve its vibrant garnet color and unique, malty palate. At a hefty 9% ABV, the alcohol in this brew is balanced by a light sweetness, a full-bodied mouth feel and a gentle, lingering hop character. Just prior to bottling, when there is no carbonation present in the beer, a fresh dose of sugar and yeast is added. After bottling, the beer is aged in our temperature-controlled cellar, where the yeast ferments the sugar and naturally carbonates the beer. This process, known as mťthode champenoise, is the same traditional process we use for all of our bottled beers. The batch of 11th Anniversary Ale was bottled in May of '06 - 950 cases, six bottles in each case and is the only batch that will be available. Its aroma is redolent of red licorice, nutmeg, wild apple, and hard candy. Its taste is malty with date and fig notes with a finish that is crisp, striking a balance between dry and fruity. We suggest serving this rustic brew at cellar temperature. Our 11th Anniversary Ale would make a perfect addition to foods such as roast duck and venison, or with desserts like pumpkin pie and apple cobbler

stegosaurus (1882) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 25, 2006
Bottle sampled with Beerded_one. Pours orange\brownwith a large beige colored head. Aroma of fruit, citrus, yeast, belgian style spices, and alcohol. The flavor is very smooth, citrus hops, carbonated, fruit, alcohol masked well but present. Great body, Great brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bigsilky (327) - Charleston, USA - AUG 17, 2006
An ager. Plain and simple. Head retention was nice in my De Rocs chalice, very happy to drink this guy just slightly chilled. Brown sugar, earthy, zesty hops, and some baking spices on the nose. The palate leads into a granny smith apple followed by more spices and a marzipan plateau that seems to flatten out as the alcohol hits. Finishes with a lingering sense of nutmeg, cardommon, and little bits of anise. I think that with age, the flatness in palate and the baked goods will mellow and transform into leather, mission figs, and rich port-like characteristics. Almost a shame to say that I will not have this beer in the near future. But cellaring does have its rewards.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - AUG 16, 2006
A little saddened by this one, but I know the brewer is in a transition at the moment so maybe thatís why this isnít as standout as the musette was. Pours a deep reddish amber with a little off white head. Aroma is apples, nuts, and spices, pretty much par for the course. The flavor is pretty similar very gentle, perhaps thatís why iím disappointed. Itís an anniversary beer so I expected a lot, but got normal....which for Allagash is still good, just not what I was hoping for. You can taste a good amount of belgain yeast in this one too. Pretty much textbook and standard, which I guess is a good thing. I was just hoping for more.

Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - AUG 15, 2006
Pours a reddish copper with a tan head. Smells of wildflowers, fruit, and some breaddy hints. Tastes of figs, malt, fruit. Reminds me of a drier version of their dubbel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ross (2100) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - AUG 13, 2006
2006 bottle. Even though my friend got me 2 bottles of this and I am getting them next week, the thought of a new Allagash being in town that I hadnt drank was more than I could stand. Cork pops off nicely, leaving a fresh smell of apples and fruits. Pours out a dark brown color without much of a head after it settles for a minute. Taste is sweet, rich, and yeasty. Has that yeast that is in all Allagash beers, giving them their unique taste. These guys know what they are doing in more ways than one. They can release beers for 16 dollars and people will buy them just to try them. Brilliant, not to mention their brewing skills are exceptional. This is a fine beer, not quite interlude, way better than victoria. Pretty close to Musette in more ways than one. Actually tastes like a fruiter version. Very nice though, as I have come to expect. Cant wait for the next release. Hopefully it will be a few months, my wallet doesnt like the releases as much as I do.

BitchesBrew (715) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - AUG 12, 2006
[bottle, shared with DarkMagus] Dark fruit and yeast in the aroma; pours a nice red/amber color, with not much of a head or visible carbonation. Flavors are complex- subtle yeast, chewy malts and dried fruits form a base for much of the sweetness. Apple cider and some cherry tartness come through in the end. Finishes a tad bit hoppy, which I really like. A very well balanced beer with plenty of character.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
shigadeyo (3075) - Harrison, Ohio, USA - AUG 11, 2006
Bottle; tasted at Riverís Bend - Thanks Matt! Yeasty and malty aroma. Is a hazy amber/honey color. Moderate carbonation. Flavor is yeasty and sweet with hints of dried fruits lingering, but I couldnít put my finger on it. Maybe candied dates would be a good way to describe it now that I think about it some more. The alcohol and hop bitterness comes out a bit more in the finish. The drier finish reminded me of rye bourbon. There were many competing characteristics in both the aroma and flavor of this beer. I think this one will mellow out a bit and truly improve once it gets some age on it. I think I need to go back and get a bottle for the cellar...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 11, 2006
Thanks to Matt at Riversbend for having this today at his tasting. What a good beer this was. Poured dark amber in color with a whitish head. Tasted of some apple flavor with some candy feel to it. This bottle seemed like it will age gracefully, as it didnít seem to be sitting as well as it could have, but it was still very much a good beer to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 5, 2006
Really nice-looking brew: big, frothy off-white head over a slightly cloudy copper body. Very grape-like, cellared and sour aroma - full and inviting. Iím impressed with the smoothness of this beer. Incredibly drinkable, pleasantly sweet, yet perfectly balanced bitterness. Raisons and pllums, yet herbal, earthy flavor. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
notalush (4994) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 5, 2006
Cloudy copper/amber pour - unlike beastieís bottle, my sample had a huge, frothy, nearly cappucino-like head, continually fed by hundreds of little bubbles drifting upwards from the bottom of the glass - bright, complex, fruity aroma, with notes of raisins, apple, apricot, peach - background notes of bread yeast and sweet orange jam - the carbonation is very soft on the palate - quite spicy throughout, tasting like a strong saison with bsa influence - a very strong cider-like quality is also quite dominant - other fruits (pear, apricot, a bit of fig) pair well with the underlying sweetness, but the spices and gentle hop bitterness keep the beer from becoming cloying - another wonderful brew from Allagash, but, as with most of their other recent releases, not really worth the hefty price tag (I paid 16.99).