overall

RATINGS: 1220   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Allagash Curieux is a unique beer that was aged for 8 weeks in Jim Beam Bourbon Barrels. In July 2004 they brewed a batch of the Triple and placed it in Bourbon barrels from Kentucky.
December í04 bottles labeled as 11% ABV. Previous vintages at 9.5%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 13, 2006
Tapper served in a tulip glass. Creamsicle aroma with alcohol overtones, vanilla ,citrus ,and assorted sweet spicing, with a distinct bourbon enhancement, but nowhere near as much as I had heard was in the bottled version. Very good brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Suttree (5423) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 12, 2006
Cloudy gold, nice thick foamy head. Aroma is a mix of vanilla, orange, bourbon and poundcake. Flavor is a nice mix af sweet and spicy, with an overriding bourbon flavor throughout. The best way to describe it it that it taste exactly likw what you imagine a tripel aged in bourbon barrels would taste like. Interesting, but ultimately the flavors donít meld as much as Iíd like. Purchased at Greenlife grocery, Asheville NC. October 05 bottling (11%)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bigrond (1499) - factoryville, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 11, 2006
this is really, really good. Iím impressed with the oak barrell non-whiskey flavor. Iíve had just a few of these beers and this is by far the best.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Schultsc (572) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 8, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2008 2005 Vintage. I know I am drinking this a bit young--it was obvious that this beer has great aging potential. Very light gold color with a small, dense head. Muted "Belgian" fermentation aromas with a bit of sweetness and oak. These same qualities appeared in the flavor as well along with some vanilla and alcohol notes. Somewhat closed off but still quite interesting with a very smooth mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ElBorracho (472) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 4, 2006
Bottle at The Map Room. Pours a hazy gold with a foamy white head. Spicy yeasts permeate throughout the aroma. Light fruits and plenty of oak join in the taste. Interestingly, I did not get as much Bourbon out of this as others seem to have. In fact, I donít believe I would have thought they used Bourbon barrels to age this if it were not on the bottle. Finishes nice and warm and is quite tasty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pineypower (2683) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - FEB 2, 2006
Finally got a second bottle of this, so that I could drink one of them. Cork was hard to get out, like any Allagash beer Iíve had. The aroma is sweet and tells of some bourbon. The pour is rather hazy with a thin dissapearing white head. As for the taste, it was a little more smooth on the taste than the tripel, but has a bit of a burbon bite on the finish. The tastes throughout are of oak, vanilla and some spice here and there, the bourbon really comes out on the finish. I like Bourbon, so I liked this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Boutip (5060) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 2, 2006
Bottle: Poured a hazy (real hazy, I just canít see through my glass) golden color ale with a medium bubbly white head with minimum retention. Aroma of bourbon is quiet easy to detect but also some real funky yeast is present which remind of a saison or even a lambic without the sourness though. Taste is a bit too sharp in alcohol at first, which kind of ruin it for me since I donít like the warming feeling. But you get used to it and it seems to disappear (or I might just be getting drunk) and then I can see some traces of a nice abbey tripel with a strong yeast profile, which provide a farmhouse side that I really enjoyed. Overall, probably not something I would go for on a regular basis but I still enjoyed. If I was to rate on experiment alone though, I would have rated this much higher since I appreciated the fact that Allagash tried to do something different.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
gputty (456) - Virgina Beach, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2006
From 750mL bottle. Pours a pale, cloudy gold with no head and very minimal lace. Nose of bourbon, honey and a hint of white wine. Taste is a big bourbon flavor upfront, followed by the sweetness of a Triple with a bourbon burn in the finish. The two flavors, bourbon and Triple, never really blend together. Interesting, but I think a different whiskey barrel, or better yet a single malt, would have made a better partner to this otherwise superb Triple.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
anders37 (18904) - MalmŲ, SWEDEN - FEB 1, 2006
Bottle. Hazy golden colour with a small white head. Sweet malty aroma with hints of alcohol and wood. Sweet malty and fruity flavor. Oak flavor too. Sweet woody finish with some warming alcohol.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Probiere (992) - Iowa, USA - JAN 31, 2006
Hot with lots of bourbon. Small notes of clear sweet fruit but largely overpowered by bourbon. I donít see why chucking everything in bourbon is supposed to improve it, but Iíve had enough tasty barrel-aged beers to make me keep working my way through the duds. The one good thing about this beer was the heavy oakiness. If they could get the oak into the fruity trippel without the damned bourbon it might be very tasty.