overall

RATINGS: 1149   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Allagash Curieux is a unique beer that was aged for 8 weeks in Jim Beam Bourbon Barrels. In July 2004 they brewed a batch of the Triple and placed it in Bourbon barrels from Kentucky.
December í04 bottles labeled as 11% ABV. Previous vintages at 9.5%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 1, 2005
Golden color with a taller near white head. Quite surprised by the real triple look. Mild fruit and yeast aromas of a triple are carried through the mild oak and smoke. I notice if you breath deep the aromas all you catch are the bourbon and alcohol aromas, but let the aromas carry toward the nose the scents of the triple and bourbon meld quite nicely; and as I love a good triple and I do enjoy a good bourbon from time to time there not need to further defend my aroma score. The flavors of bourbon and alcohol have taken over, perhaps expectedly as the delicate triple flavor are no real match for the light fruit and spice of a triple. Finish is quite bitter and Iím torn whether it is from the hops of the bourbon and spice of a triple. This one has lost a little to much of its original goodness, rather than adding complexity. I do like this, but itís more because I like bourbon than I like beer.This would pair well with swordfish and a fruity salsa. I will pick up a bottle or two more for a tasting here and there with folks that like beer and bourbon. I likely am low on my rating as I realize that I like beer more than bourbon and am being slightly bias. I love beer and like bourbon and I really like the combination, but in a true beer world this isnít as good as the triple. Now if there was a barrel aged brew category this would be close to a five in my book.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 30, 2005
hazy gold, quick disappating head. woody vanilla aroma with notes of lemon very mild yeast and pepper and biscuits. some honey and short bready flavour, but itís all over whelmed by the booze and wood. everything thatr make a tripel what it is is very muted in the beer. not bad overall, though. an interesting experiment.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
CapFlu (4458) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 20, 2005
(750ml bottle) Sampled at the Belgium Comes To Cooperstown 2005 in Cooperstown, NY. Pours a golden body with a decent head. Nose of iodine and an intense dubbel flavour. Too iodine for me to mark this higher.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Bigsilky (327) - Charleston, USA - JUL 11, 2005
750 ml corkerd bottle. Just recently had this one, very impressed. Through the ample bourbon bite, that brings in vanilla, toast, and caramel the triple meeks out. Never would have thought to put a lighter style with the bourbon barrel but hey, whatever works. This batch was at 9.5 %, Iíve noticed some poor ratings and Iím certainly curious to know why this is seems to be such a love hate beer (maybe ageing time is a factor?). The bourbon imparts a sweet-corn mashy sourness (if you can follow that) and maybe you just have to be into bourbon to like it (not that Beam is the best, but I really donít think it would make a huge diff.). Not really something that I would seek out and buy in quantity. However I think itís one of the coolest beers Iíve had in a while and I love a brewery that experiments. Iím a huge nerd on traditional styles but new and oddball and can be interesting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beeralbany (1) - albany, New York, USA - JUN 30, 2005 does not count
Loved the Vanilla overtones from the oak barrels. An excellent effort with a complex taste, almost whiskey like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
fly (1417) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - JUN 28, 2005
Sampled at GABF as I first walked in and the alcohol lept out and ripped across my tongue. Bought two bottles of the 9.5% in Maine and it was much more subdued and pleasant, though all in all I believe their "standard" tripel is far better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - JUN 28, 2005
Clouded orange appearance, good head formation. Rich sweet fruity, berry and citrus, aroma, yeasty, mildly spiced. Sweet cranberry juice flavor, honey, oak and herbal notes. A little thick and syrupy but quite tastey.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Enniskillen (2029) - Salinas, California, USA - JUN 26, 2005
14.99, geez. The nose is caramel, yeast, and bourbon. The bourbon presence is too much for me, really not a big fan of this. Iím sure this would taste much better if aged in a wine barrel. Jim Beam sucks.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 25, 2005
Corked bottle. Dark yellow with a fluffy white head that left some lacing. Nose: cider and bourbon. Thick, slightly oily body. Flavor; alcohol and burned wood. No.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jazz88 (2542) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 18, 2005
Bottle (February 2005 bottling). A misty golden yellow color with a laced white head. Aroma of white wine, apple, candy, and oak. Strong elements of an earthy scotch, wood and peat. Mild lemon flavors come through at the end. Finishes with a harsh bite, as the alcohol lets in the burn.