overall

RATINGS: 801   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
A unique new beer from Allagash, Allagash Four; a one-of-a-kind ale made from four malts, four varieties of hops, four natural sugars, and it's fermented – that's right – four times!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ernest (6512) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 24, 2004
Head is initially average sized, frothy, off-white, mostly lasting. Body is hazy light brown, bottle conditioned. Aroma is lightly malty (cookie, caramel), moderately yeasty (cobwebs, mold), with a note of clove. Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, moderately acidic, moderately bitter. Medium to full body, velvety texture, lively carbonation. Surprisingly simple and overly yeasty. Good flavor balance and mouthfeel, but otherwise not nearly as good as I expected/hoped.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JUL 24, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 25, 2004 Rating #900. I suppose that this is a well made beer, but the bottom line for me is that it really doesn’t taste all that good. I am giving it a 5, with a benefit of doubt; since I believe it to be made to a style ie. "American Belgian." At least that is what I call it. Because no great Belgian beers actually taste like this. This beer is hot. It has an unpleasant astringent quality that borders on offensive to me, but on the other hand I don’t want to pour it out either. So I am sticking to the middle for flavor and aroma. It is a nice looking beer, and the mouthfeel can be called "velvety" which is good. Bottom line - if you like the style of beer that I call "American Belgian," you like that astringent heat, and you like Ommegang and Unibroue stuff - then you will love this beer. It’s not really my bag though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
21iceman40 (1732) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 24, 2004
candy apple color, really really bitter rubbery feel to it, not really as good as i thought from the aroma.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ontario102 (794) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUL 22, 2004
Somewhat fruity and yeasty aroma; fairly sweet and a bit spicey with a slightly sour and bitter finish. Nice. Thanks Sham & Bück Dich!

Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 21, 2004
Amber-red, small off white head. Citrus aromas. Some biscuit. Pear or apricot fruits. Citrus and bitter hops. Flavors are slightly sour with nice hops (bitter and citrus.) Some alcohol. Palate is malty, bitter, sour, and fuzzy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
pivo (2612) - GERMANY - JUL 15, 2004
A beer the keeps on giving! I was impressed. A slight singed grain nose, deep mahogany color, and a low tight head. Sweet malt with some honey and vanilla in the middle as well as corriander. Clovey end and a little pepper. Full body, rich and creamy. Fat. Just a well-done beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cobra (1100) - - JUL 14, 2004
750 ml. big ’ole brown Belgian-style, corked and caged bottle. If there is or was a freshness date, I did not notice it. Beautiful gold printing over a brown glass bottle makes for a great design. I might have to add this bottle to my very limited collection. Poured out a deep amber/ medium caramel candy color, with a limited, although generous eggshell colored head. Deserves to be served in an appropriate glassware, so I served it in my Chimay chalice. Outrageous aromas of malt, hops, and yeast. Brown sugar aromas come into view as this beer warms up slightly, as does Belgian candi sugars, and I believe I detect a note of Turbinado sugar as well. The hops aromas are somewhat subdued, but the flavors are evident in the tasting. The aromas and flavors mingle on the tongue, providing a flavor-fest in the mouth. Tastes are what you’d expect from a huge Belgian beer. Malts, some slightly bitter hops, yeast, and sugars abound in the flavors of this beer. Mouthfeel is rich, thick, and full. More of a meal than a beer, per se. Slightly sweet on the tongue, but just barely bordering on cloying. I believe it needs about 5 more years of aging to come into it’s peak. Tastes are full of flavors which become hard to describe, because of the complexity of the beer itself. This beer is deceptively drinkable, because the alcohol is well hidden at this point. It may become more evident as it ages, but only time will tell. Finishes sweet, full bodied, and very rich. I’m glad I bought 2 of these delicious monsters, as I will be able to age one for several years and I will compare notes with this tasting at that point in time. You owe it to yourself, if no one else, to seek out this beer at any and all costs. A terrific Belgian-style beer from the good old USA. Whould’ve thought it? I certainly didn’t.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
YogiBeera (2524) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 13, 2004
mmmh - nice one. Burnt nose with some alcohol hints in it. Amber brown color, no head. Also burnt biter taste, with a medium aftertaste, light alcohol and a dry finish. Nice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
djrevnoir (26) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUL 8, 2004
Translucent, decent sized head that dissipates slowly. Metallic flavour while cold, goes away as beer warms up.

REDDOGICE (202) - nantucket, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 7, 2004
Another good Maine Beer. Allagash does something with their beer: Love it to death.