Serve in Tumbler, Weizen

RATINGS: 1613   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer, Allagash White delicately balances full flavor with a crisp, refreshing taste and subtle hints of spice. Naturally cloudy, bottled with yeast.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
motelpogo (7702) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - AUG 16, 2004
many thanks to reverend baxter for recommending this as a good beer to order with out trivia winningds at the grey lodge. hazy and quite pale, lemon meringue aroma, nice little hint of cream cheese. quite spicy and peppery, some clove and pleasant lemon finish

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Frank (3541) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 10, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2004 I've had two very different experiences with this beer on tap. The first time, I really enjoyed it. The second time, I suggested it to friend who's a big fan of wits and was almost embarrassed by my selection. The second time through, I found it had sort of a buttery, olive oil character which I never noticed before. Also, diacetyl was clearly there and I don't think any amount of it, no matter how subtle, should be in a wit. You can do worse, but really, you can do way better.

Original Rating: Pale and hazy (what else?), sheet of lace. Excellent. Extremely vibrant, spicy with a strong citrus character. Probably the best wit Iíve had.

clutchrogers (90) - Broussard, Louisiana, USA - JUL 26, 2004
nice head and a pale yellow, cloudy, color. nice flavors, spicy and wheaty but fairly clean. doesnt have the wildish and sour flavors of hoegaarden. still very good for and american version of a blanche.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
brewshthereen (316) - Oregon, USA - JUL 26, 2004
OBF 2004: Nice, fresh wheat aroma. Lightly spiced and really good. Slightly tart and refreshing. Enjoyable beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MarkD (9) - USA - JUL 21, 2004 does not count
One of the better Belgian wheat beers made in the US, if not the best. Similar to Blue Moon but less distinctive orange/citrus notes. Yeasty smell and a wonderful golden yellow color. Large head. Effervescent. Very smooth mouthfeel.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JUL 18, 2004
Bottle. Typical hazy yellow color. Nose is floral and doughy. Has some notes of orange and yeast. There are some notes of wheat and black pepper. The finish is very unpleasant. Going down, it tastes like dirty water with a little bit of sourness. This is a good example of the style, but it is a style that I do not appreciate. If you like Witbier, youíll like this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
heemer77 (5198) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JUL 17, 2004
Thanks to civforprez for sharing this bomber. I have had a fair number of witbiers now and I think I can fairly judge this compared to similar brews. Pours a very cloudy light yellow color. The very pale color put me off a bit. Formed a huge fluffy head in my glass. The aroma is the standard orange zest, ginger and bread. The taste was bready with a zesty orange and a finish like dirt. Also had a little corriander and some pepper spice, but these were too light to add much character. Has a lively carbonated mouthfeel. Pretty good for the style, but there are better ones out there.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
loomis (43) - Ohio, USA - JUL 13, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2004 Came back and rerated. Overall, after having a few on different days, I conclude that this beer leaves me feeling as though I just ate some butter, bread, and maybe some mild peppers. Definately unique. However, I think this is a little to weird for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 8, 2004
Served on tap. Cloudy straw-colored body, thin white head. Light grain husk aroma plus sweet bubblegum and lemon. The flavor has wheat bread, stewed apricot, and some leafy hops. Lemon citrus compliments the flavor as well. This seems like a heavy-handed wit because the lemon and spice flavors felt like they were tossed on top as an afterthought, not blending well with the basic wheat beer elements.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - JUL 6, 2004
This was the first Belgian Whilte Iíve ever enjoyed and I was extremely impressed. The color of the beer is very unique light but somewhat cloudy. Itís refreshing qualities are perfect for a hot summer day. If youíre lucky enough to enjoy it on tap youíll get a much better experiance then the bottle offers.