overall
Brewed by Alley Kat Brewing Company
Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Edmonton, Canada

RATINGS: 53   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheHulk (486) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 7, 2010
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2010 Smells great, you really get the spices in the nose - cinnamon and it really does smell like pumpkin pie. Brownish red, it is quick thick and cloudy, a bit of head, ok lacing. Looks better in the glass than I expected for something that isnít bottle conditioned. Smooth uptake on the sweetness of the malts, a bit spicy from the herbs and the pumpkin (?) flavour. The problem here is, as I have a few more sips I only can smell diapers now when I get it close to my nose. NO, itís the poweder smell to cover up the diaper smell from the diaper genie! ok, so my smell memory is great but that smell really doesnít belong in my beer... good thing I smelled it before I got the taste mixed up in my nose. Fairly creamy on the tounge, a bit of spice flavour and then it fades. Pretty good, Iíve bought this a few times now for something different. Next edition 15th anniversary : pretty much the same, Iím not geting the diaper smell this time... but I CAN see where on the right night your nose would be in that place. The headílacing is even weaker, but the spice/flavour combination is even more spot on. I used to hate pumpkin pie as a kid and now I love it, I bought 2 at the store when they were festively on sale and this beer is jus like the pie spices, minus the crust flavour. I really prefer a thicker (bottle conditioned) beer, and this one is after a Rochefort 10 and 6, so Iím pretty judemental, but this one still tastes right.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Cole (967) - , Alberta, CANADA - JAN 30, 2010
Pours brown with a thin head. Pleasant aroma of cinimon and nut met. it really smells like pumpkin pie. Thick creamy brew with lots of spices and malty flavour. however I feel that this beer is way too heavy on the nut meg. Its almost like drinking cheap spiced rum. I can see why people like it but deffinatley not my thing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Boodleton (4) - USA - JAN 3, 2010 does not count
This is a seasonal favorite of mine - the missus and I look forward to it every October. Aroma is fantastic - nutmeg, clove, pumpkin - smells like fresh pumpkin pie. Tends to be a bit hazy or cloudy in the glass, reasonable head and average lacing. I agree with what someone else said - definitely best at the start of its limited brewing season, as the taste and palate of this delicious beer starts to get a bit bland and gritty as you get farther from Halloween. Iíve encountered occasional sediment at the bottom, but usually in those older batches and not the fresh stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jimmay (807) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 14, 2009
341 ml bottle. Pours deep amber in colour. Strong aroma and taste of nutmeg and pumpkin spices. Next to no head, and mildly carbonated. Good beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TipsyMcStager (1139) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - OCT 12, 2009
Bottle, at Original Joeís. Light spicy pumpkin aroma. Pours amber with thin head. Some pumpkin spiciness, does have some body. Not too bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Macadem (103) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 23, 2009
The pumpkin pie spice is really all i can get on the nose of this, which is delightful in its own right, it smells exactly like pumpkin pie! The flavor is alot more subtle, with the pie spice being only really on the after palate. There is a light ale behind it, but the pie spice still dominates. Not often iíll comment on a label, but this one is great for an october seasonal beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Savvy1982 (1705) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 23, 2009
Bottle, thanks to Macadem. Pours medium amber, thin off-white head, passable lacing. Nose is very soft, with cinnamon, clove, pumpkin, some malt as well. Palate is very pumpkin-pie like, but still quite soft, and honestly rather watery. I like this, and it makes me desirous of having, better pumpkin beers in the future.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
VertBaconStrips (2060) - Assat, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 15, 2009
rereview jun 10/08: this beer, a beer that we used as punishment for getting scored on during a fooz game has gotten thicker on the pumpkin and somehow does not taste old... go figure. So, I poured 4 bottles into my black toilet....produced a huge, thick bubbly head with great retention and, well, the lacing was hard to judge as it did not hold up to a double flush. Best cap ever produced in my toilet by a beer. Serious. Got the pics. Eat it, Alley Kat.

Get it while itís fresh! If you wait until, Iíll guess late November and beyond, expect this to taste like crap as it will have a short shelf life. Then you will miss a decent brew. Poured out a small, rocky, tan crown that faded quickly. Nice clear deep copper apperance. The aroma is pretty good - the spices come first (nutmeg, corriander, clove) followed by soft pumpkin (not pumpkin pie), some odd, twisted mint smell and some malt. Interesting thing here is how the aroma continues to evolve with the spice of the pumpkin showing up right as you run out of breath. The taste is pretty decent however there are no overpowering flavours and for me that is a bit of a shame. Comes across tasty but a bit weak. Maybe this is a good thing as this stays very drinkable. Taste is not as complex as the aroma - soft blend of spices and very soft pumpkin. Mainly clove. Some malt taste. Nearing medium bodied. OK carbonation but a bit tart and dry. Clovish aftertaste with very muted hop bitterness. Decent beer worth trying. Me thinks me get a case for the fridge. Success for Sherbrooke Liquor Store after shitting the bed with the green beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Cirrhosis (1192) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 10, 2009
"Beer appears crystal clear reddish brawn with a noisy tan cap that is quickly reducing to nothing. Right off the top the aroma reminds me exactly of apple cinnamon yogurt. I guess can smell pumpkin in this but I might just be being tricked by the name of the brew. Aroma is ok maybe just a touch sour. Taste is watery and malty with a cinnamon kick and a clove finish. Canít really notice any pumpkin in the taste but it does remind me of pumpkin pie. Sour, watery and a touch of spice this sums up this brew. Drinkable but disappointing but what ells do you expect from Alley Kat."

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gorbalev (2906) - Ontario, CANADA - APR 18, 2009
Bottle, courtesy of Jimmay (thanks!). Dark orange with lots of brown, small still white head. Great aroma, Pumpkin pie mixed with caramel. Yum. Taste follows exactly - very sweet and very spicy and very very tasty. A tan thin I suppose. Really liked this one, certainly in the upper end of pumpkin ales I have ever tried.