Alley Kat Sherbrooke Mojo A’Peel
Brewed by Alley Kat Brewing Company
Style: Dunkelweizen
Edmonton, Canada
Serve in Stein, Weizen

RATINGS: 10   MEAN: 3.12/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.98   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Based on the famous Dessert from New Orleans, and married to a traditional Bavarian style dark wheat ale, the result is a liquid version of “East meets West”. Brewed with Vanilla Extract and Demerara Sugar (Yes, we have no bananas) the flavour profile hits you with subtle notes of caramel, banana and vanilla - the recipe was developed with our own Jeff Werstiuk- $15.99/6 pack If the label art seems familiar, it should. We managed to pull Scott Shaw! (Yes, the exclamation point IS part of his name) away from his day job as a Flintstones Animator. Next time you’re in the cereal aisle of your local grocery store, check out a box of Cocoa or Fruity Pebbles to see more of his work.

pintbypint's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
pintbypint (2541) - Edmonton, Alberta, - MAR 11, 2012
341ml brown bottle. Dark orangey-brown with deep gold highlights, pretty hazy. Small layer of beige foam that receeds to a ring. Sweet nose, brown sugar, honey, banana and some lemon. Taste has wheaty cearal malts, lots of tart lemons, background caramel sweetness. Finishes dry and wheaty, light bodied, good spritzy level of carbonation, no sign of any alcohol. Didn’t quite come together as a dunkelweizenf or me. A bit of a miss, glad I found a single bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Savvy1982 (1705) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 1, 2012
Bottle at home, from a Hennepin glass, because my Maudite glass is dirty, and I am lazy. Pours clear deep copper, with a garnet flash - 2 finger pale tan head, moderately long-lived. Lacing is rather disappointing, spotty to non-existent, which is a shame. All around solid looking beer, but falls short on the lacing. Nose is very biscuity, with coconut, doughnut, raisin, banana, and toasted malt notes. Really a pleasant, refreshingly different nose. Flavours of sweet malt, moderate fruit and more bready/biscuit notes. Overall, pretty impressed. Not my favorite Alley Kat beer, nor my favorite Sherbrooke Exclusive, but a fine brew. I also hate the label, Scott Shaw(!) or not. That really doesn’t matter, but I really hate that monkey and his dead eyes!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
patricks110 (1620) - Alberta, CANADA - OCT 23, 2011
Forgotten notes from the Camra beer fest in Calgary. June 25, 2011. This pours a murky ruby highlighted brown with a thick tan head which dies quickly to a half finger of a dense tan cap. Well carbonated in the body and some spotted lacing is left on the glass. The nose has a prevalent yeast malt with light caramel and pilsner style malts. A German yeast note is noted with an aroma of banana or banana bread. The middle is sweet and grainy with a chewy wheat malt and nice sweet caramel notes. The yeast is quite noticeable along with banana, vanilla and biscuit. The finish has a sweetened yeast and a light alcoholic finish. This is a good brew overall. I think it could be taken up 1-2% alcohol and given a bigger malt profile. Regardless, this is a good German style beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
reebtogi (4040) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - AUG 17, 2011
Poured a hazy amber color from a 341mL bottle with about 2 fingers of off-white head settling to a bit of spotty lacing. Aroma is of yeast and some spices. Taste is quite sweet with some spices and mild hop bitterness in the finish. Carbonation is intense and body is medium providing a nice presence on the tongue. Definitely a wheat beer with a twist and quite enjoyable for an evening taster.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Parksy (123) - Alberta, CANADA - MAY 16, 2011
From a bottle. Not sure about this one. Will have to give it another try. Really cool label though. As for flavor - will reserve judgment until I try it again... got a six pack in my fridge.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
DuffMan (6462) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - APR 25, 2011
Bottle. Very hazy medium amber with orange highlights, very lively finely bubbled head. Aroma is estery wheat, caramel, and a bit of wet hair. Not much in the way of bananas in the aroma, or on the palate really. Tart wheat backbone, light caramel, perhaps hints of green banana but not classic hefe calibre like I was expecting. Aggressive carbonation doesn’t help things. Just okay for me. Great label art though!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
gramity (1307) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 22, 2011
Had this at a local Edmonton Cask night (old review). The beer was given a lovely introduction by Jeff from Sherbrooke who was the brain behind the bananas foster idea. It came straight from the cask tap to our table with a few potential stops on the way for it’s brethren to be delivered to their new homes. No more than a minute or two. It arrived with a very thin layer of head so I can only assume that retention wasn’t very long. The beer was a hazy milk chocolate brown with tan head. I can see the color better in my picture as there was limited lighting at the pub. I had a hard time identifying much in the aroma given the setting. I really just smelt some generic graininess. There is a sweet touch to it. The taste was initially sweet up front with hints of banana. I presume this is the effect of the wheat and/or yeast used in the beer. The sweetness was balanced nicely by some bitter hops. The overall taste was quite sweet and I believe it is brown sugar I am picking up on. It is quite tasty and the hops do well to balance this out. Otherwise it might have been just too sweet. Mouthfeel was smooth and carbonation was moderate. Even with agitation the carbonation wasn’t producing any head to speak of. A tasty treat at cask night but I wouldn’t be drinking it regularly as I wouldn’t be able to handle the sweetness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Scubaguy (230) - Alberta, CANADA - MAR 19, 2011
It pours a cloudy brow color with some red hue’s. It has a 2 finger tan head that fades to a thick lingering cap. It has a a ton of carbonation and some very spotty lacing. On the nose I am getting mostly yeast and wheat notes.It has some faint banana notes. The flavor is somewhat similar to the aroma but with some different elements. I get wheat,yeast. It has some over ripened banana and vanilla but its fake. It has a real good dose of sugar. To be honest it has all the elements to be a great beer but it doesn’t come together well. It is a little sweet for me. It finishes with a little bite from the alcohol and some faint hops. But all things pushed in still a good beer with a twist on the traditional style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
presario (4580) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 13, 2011
Bottle, will start to empty on its own. Big head on sugary looking hazy dark brown. Smells like dark spice and toast. Flavour is unusual. Vanilla, alcohol and dark malt. Light body. Doesn’t really come together for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
JoeZasada (285) - Beaumont, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 24, 2011
Bottle. Pours a medium opaque brown with a thick lasting pearl head. Aroma of bananas. Taste: bananas, vanilla, a lot of the usual wheat tastes, some caramel. Very full-bodied. Finishes with a bit of a grassiness, and more bananas! This one is one of the best of the style I’ve had, and I’de put it against any of the ’big name’ dunkels out there...