overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 299   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Ale brewed with cherries and aged in wine barrels

This barrel-aged wild ale is named for our San Francisco neighborhood and pays tribute to the Flanders Red style of beer. Aged in wine barrels, this lightly tart ale is brewed with California Rainier cherries using a house blend of wild yeasts, bacteria and SF sourdough yeast. Pair this complex ale with ripe figs & blue cheese or seafood bouillabaisse.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lightbias (397) - USA - DEC 9, 2015
I’ve had a penchant for sour these last couple of weeks, and although I’ve been drinking other styles, I’ve been craving these. Breakfast and lunch go by and I realize that all I want to do with my afternoon is find a great sour style and just savor it. This is my choice for tonight, and as soon as I open the bottle, I know I’ve made a good choice. - As I pour the beer, I bend a little aggressive to drive the aroma up and out of the glass; tonight, maybe I’m just a little greedy. The red wine and cherries are distinct, but the lactic acid is a force to be reckoned with, the tartness of the combination is mouth-watering even before I can wrap my lips around the first sip. - The flat, red-amber of the body is not capped, but a ring of cream-colored, soapy foam girdles the inside of the glass, becoming thicker with each movement and subsiding again. Even as I lift the beer to my lips, the head rises; tipping to drink coats the walls of the glass with a wet, heavy foam that sinks back into the beer in a matter of moments. - A jaw-cracking sour fiends on the soft flesh of my mouth, assaulting the underside of my tongue with acidic fruits and oak-laden wine. A thin line of goose bumps runs down my spine, reaching out to trace my shoulders to fingertips. Damn, I needed this. My mouth soon adapts to the blitzkrieg and the oak and lactic acid become much more obvious in both the aroma and flavor. - A clean, dry finish, full of woody earth and sweet dough is a welcome experience, and since this is readily available, I’ll be making this a go-to sour red in my cooler.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pyrmir (5055) - Uppsala, SWEDEN - DEC 5, 2015
Bottle at Eric, thanks Isabel! Reddish brown with small off white head. Aroma is sour, funky, wood, lactic, acetic, fruit and red berries. Taste is sour, complex, fruity, citrus, funky sour lactic and acetic, red berries and cherries leading to a funky sour finish. Really nice!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
teorn88 (5142) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 2, 2015
37.5cl bottle from The a Bottle Shop, London. It pours a hazed plum color with minimal beige head. Aroma is sour and winey, with lemon juice, funk, basement and tart cherries. Taste mouth puckering acidic with tarte red berries, basement funk, lemon juice and light Greek yoghurt. Nice white wine note, no booze. Light to medium bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, very tasty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
shoulderbroken (3222) - Tokyo, JAPAN - NOV 24, 2015
Bottle. Thanks to someone, (please let me know who it was). Nice, biscuits, sweet, cherry tart, nice texture, spritzy, white wine. It’s nice. Light sourness. Cherry finish. Good stuff

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
katrinaez (944) - norristown, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 21, 2015
Highly vinegar scent with a touch of sour cherries. Orange brown opaque haze unfiltered. Sour and bitter. Makes you pucker up. Taste is overwhelmed by sour.can’t give you much. Tap

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
willisread (1574) - Tokyo, JAPAN - NOV 19, 2015
Bottle from Tanakaya shared at a sour tasting. Pours a brown with a tiny off-white head of foam that lingers for a bit. Oak on the nose with some light cherry aromas. Quite sour on the palate, like an aggressive Flanders red. The cherries are lost in a sea of sour and oak, but still good carbonation with a medium to full body. Finish is sour and lingers with some light vinous character. Not bad.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jc1762 (456) - Tokyo, JAPAN - NOV 18, 2015
Thanks to willisread for sharing the bottle! Poured into a wine glass showing light caramel brown and sparse white foam. The nose shows light and barely perceivable cherries. The palate is highly carbonated and light bodied. Highly tart such that any other flavors are barely noticeable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TimE (4533) - Tokyo, JAPAN - NOV 18, 2015
Hazy blood orange color. The cherries are pronounced with oak. The mouth is sour and overwhelms the cherries. Some oak is there, but sourness just dominated way too much.

RichTheVillan (5461) - West Midlands, ENGLAND - NOV 17, 2015
Bottle from Cotteridge Wines; hazy amber pour with a thin white head, aroma has white wine, grape, taste has sweet cherries, some wood tart fruits, white grape, red berries, subtle sourness.

rlgk (15802) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - NOV 7, 2015
Draught at Stone Liberty Station, San Dieo. "Sour Saturday" during SDBW 2015. Cloudy orange/copper beer with a small offwhite head. Sourish caramel aroma, brett, leather, raisins, spicy notes, hay, funky, some grapes and dough. Sourish fruity flavor, grapes, citrus, funky, leather, yeast notes, spicy notes, grapefruit, earthy notes. Complex and very nice.