overall

RATINGS: 516   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7%ABV

mattwjones (1) - USA - NOV 17, 2009 does not count
My favorite IPA of any kind and I have had all of the top 30 double and single IPAs.

PhillyCraft (3221) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 21, 2011
Let me start out by saying that I was never able to try any Alpine beer around my way because they are such small scale and stay within California. What a tragedy, because they had 4 of the best ipa’s I have ever tried in my life including Nelson, which sits at number 1. Move over Pliny, get out of the way Ephraim/Abner, these guys take it even one step further. Unreal. These were all on tap at Toronado in San Diego. Pours a glowing hazy yellow gold with small head and awesome lacing. Nelson hops from New Zealand equals the juiciest, tangerine and tropical hop resin profile I have encountered. Notes of honey, pepper, peanut brittle, rye malts, cheese. Taste is juicy, creamy, bitter and refreshing all wrapped into one. Amazing IPA that is going to be impossible to top. Best citrus fueled, dank, ipa I have ever had. Cheers Alpine.

mralex (7) - California, USA - JUN 24, 2011 does not count
Got a bottle from Whole Foods--specially recommended by their cicerone-type person, Diane. Great fresh hop aroma,tasted sublime. defintely going to try to visit the brewery.

pastradul (43) - California, USA - JUL 9, 2011
Pours a light straw gold, not much head or lacing to speak of. Smell has a nice citrus (grapefruit mostly) and pine balance, spice, a lot of honey and malt, kind of grainy. Really interesting and unique smelling. Tastes similar, with grapefruit and spice/grain up front, pine, and again kind of a honey and malt sweetness. Not as much of a hop bomb as I was expecting. Medium-full body and medium level of carbonation, kind of grainy mouthfeel. Overall, a super interesting and well crafted IPA.

dcschiller (2207) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - OCT 22, 2011
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2013 (on tap at the brewery and growler). Pours a hazy golden color with off-white head. Aroma is juicy, citrusy hops. Awesome! Taste is sweet malt with some pleasant bitterness and a bit of spiciness and earthiness. Medium bodied and oily. Bitter finish. An absolutely great beer. My new favorite IPA and one that I find myself craving more of.

McGrupp612 (139) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 29, 2012
This is my favorite beer. Everything aspect of this IPA is perfect for an IPA. Gold with a nice white head. Aroma is brimming with grapefruit zest, resin, and spicy rye. Flavor is perfect. Citrus zest, dry grape, juicy sweet mixed fruit salad, hop resin, spicy bitterness, clean malt flavor. Finishes dry, zesty, bitter...your mouth salivates for another sip. Perfect carbonation, medium body, and awesome lacing down the glass. Best IPA that I have ever tasted.

Surfbum44 (1) - California, USA - AUG 27, 2012 does not count
Best IPA around. No fancy gimmicks or tricks, just a solid smell taste and finish. The trip to Alpine for Nelson is worth the journey, and throw in a batch of garlic fries you’ll swear you’ve just been raptured!

mwillums (12) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 21, 2013
My favorite beer/IPA hands down. Best consumed fresh via tap or bottle within 30 days of brewing.

patrickherman (3) - California, USA - NOV 29, 2013 does not count
Alpine’s "Nelson" and "Duet" are my favorite IPA’s anywhere.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cpn (13) - Ohio, USA - NOV 6, 2011
Had this in San Diego while hunting for Pliny the Elder. The salesperson told me that I would find this beer to be outstanding and it was. Unbelievable citrus aroma, mangos, oranges which carried all the way through. I had this beer in May 2011 and have know problem recalling the experience of drinking it.