overall
Zaragoza, Spain

RATINGS: 164   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.34   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 14, 2004
Yellow Coloring. Carbonated. Definitly Fizzy, but I was Expecting Far Worse. This was Definitly Drinkable. Had a Very Sweet Taste to It. Some Hops and Malt... Not Great, but Great Swill Beer.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Stew41 (1736) - Woodend, AUSTRALIA - SEP 6, 2004
Pours a short fizzy head that doesnít hang around. Colour depth is ok - gold tending to orange. Nose doesnít give away much, whilst the palate is bit ho hum...just tastes like a whole bunch of other mainstream pale ales. Quite fizzy, distracting from the flavour, although some bitterness kicking in at the end. In the Oz market this wine is actually hard to find and at $3.00 a pop needs to give more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Ernest (6200) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - AUG 22, 2004
Head is small, fizzy, white, mostly diminishing. Body is medium yellow. Aroma is lightly malty (grain, bread), lightly hoppy (flowers, herbs). Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter, husky. Medium body, watery texture, lively carbonation. The artificial sweetness is the main problem here...otherwise, itís inoffensive and fine for the style.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
MrRomero (1975) - Nolanville, USA - JUL 22, 2004
Guam SwillFest 2004: Pours yellow with a thin white head. Slightly skunky aroma with a bit of coffee. Flavor is lightly sweet with a bit of malt and a little hops. A little bitter and metallic in the finish. $3.90 a bottle here in Guam. Way overpriced.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
jde123 (764) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAY 12, 2004
Pours with a giant head, but absolutely no bubbles, "Where did the head come from?" one might ask. The answer is all the bubble went into the formation of the head. The explosion wrought by the opening of the bottle tore a whole in the space-time continuum, thatís where the bubbles went. No one knows for sure, but one thing is certain, this beer doesnít smell good. The taste is wooden and unconvincing, who knew such a product could come out of Spainís fantastic brewing traditions?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - APR 28, 2004
I guess Iím rating this crap under the right listing. Mine just said Zaragozana, not Ambar Especial... so Iím going by the ABV. Anyway, not good. Pale (like sickly pale, not hops) and soapy. Watery crap that has a somewhat developed palate, but not even this can save the beer. Not for me, speedy. $1.69 a 12oz

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Spanner (60) - Canberra, AUSTRALIA - FEB 3, 2004
A go-down-easy beer without compromising taste Great in hot weather being overly fizzy. Spanner.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Jahills (151) - Cambridge (Hobart), AUSTRALIA - DEC 27, 2003
Light style, quite thin, corny, oaty maltyness with a slight touch on the palate on the way down. Lacking a bit but pleasant.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 24, 2003
Malt aroma, and a hint of corn. Golden, pours a large cream coloured head. Malt, with a mild hops taste, giving a pleasant bitterness to this medium bodied brew. Fair, a pleasant surprise!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Oakes (12446) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 6, 2003
First, I really wasn't planning on rating any new beers for a couple of days, so this one was a total accident. In fact, it was born of a bad cold I've been suffering. I figured I needed to clear my sinuses and one traditional method is to take lunch at Tacos el Asador in Koreatown. I've mentioned before how much I love this place - the food, the decor, the community atmosphere. Oh yeah, and the fact that they seem to find new beers for me to try - bested in this town only by Smokeless Joe's I think. So in I go and they have a sign for this on the wall. And some bottles in the fridge. Of course, I have a bad cold. And on top of that I burned my tongue yesterday drinking tea while my mouth was still frozen from a trip to the dentist. So this is a really hobbled rating...Ambar Especial from Zaragozana is a clean, malt-accented pale lager. Their is some hop bite, but not a whole lot. By international lager standards, this seems to be one of the better ones. I would wager that it is all-malt, and it is reasonably balanced. It's a pretty safe bet I'll be back at Tacos el Asador as it is one of my favourite restaurants, so it's a safe bet I'll be rating this one soon when my senses are back to 100%. But I'm sure of what I found this afternoon. I just need to double check to make sure there wasn't anything more.