overall
Zaragoza, Spain

RATINGS: 156   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.34   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 24, 2003
Malt aroma, and a hint of corn. Golden, pours a large cream coloured head. Malt, with a mild hops taste, giving a pleasant bitterness to this medium bodied brew. Fair, a pleasant surprise!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Oakes (11866) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 6, 2003
First, I really wasn't planning on rating any new beers for a couple of days, so this one was a total accident. In fact, it was born of a bad cold I've been suffering. I figured I needed to clear my sinuses and one traditional method is to take lunch at Tacos el Asador in Koreatown. I've mentioned before how much I love this place - the food, the decor, the community atmosphere. Oh yeah, and the fact that they seem to find new beers for me to try - bested in this town only by Smokeless Joe's I think. So in I go and they have a sign for this on the wall. And some bottles in the fridge. Of course, I have a bad cold. And on top of that I burned my tongue yesterday drinking tea while my mouth was still frozen from a trip to the dentist. So this is a really hobbled rating...Ambar Especial from Zaragozana is a clean, malt-accented pale lager. Their is some hop bite, but not a whole lot. By international lager standards, this seems to be one of the better ones. I would wager that it is all-malt, and it is reasonably balanced. It's a pretty safe bet I'll be back at Tacos el Asador as it is one of my favourite restaurants, so it's a safe bet I'll be rating this one soon when my senses are back to 100%. But I'm sure of what I found this afternoon. I just need to double check to make sure there wasn't anything more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Sully (1377) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - AUG 25, 2003
As far as lagers go this is in the middle. By this I mean it is better than some and worse than others. The presentation is of your common or garden style, golden colour and white head. The hop aroma is present, giving it higher marks than the Aussie macro stuff, but overall it is still not quite there in overall flavour and body. A lot of this style is too gassy which isn't improved by leaving it for a while, as it then just goes flat. In the right place with the right food this is OK but I would prefer a sangria or dry red wine with my Spanish meal anyday if the only beer choice was this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
minguimore (17) - SPAIN - JUL 13, 2003
You guys should remember that we are rating a lager not an ale or a bock and this is a good one. It has a nice balanced taste and the correct carbonation. The problem is that a good lager must be taken in a pub, from the barrel, and you surely buy it in bottles. Probably the best spanish beer.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
caesar (4721) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - JUN 1, 2003
I drank this in a Dutch bar in Lloret de Mar. Usually they tap Aguila (amstel), so i was quite surprised. There weren't any noticable differences between this and the other spanish pilseners. So, it was quite ok, but i rather drink San Miguel.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - MAY 29, 2003
Bottled. Golden colour, fine white head. Good malt consistency, dry with a slightly chemically finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
brewboy (152) - AUSTRALIA - MAR 10, 2003
The colour is all in it's name. This beer was first brewed in 1900, and gives a very fine flavour from start to finish. A very respectable premium lager which keeps a fine beaded head.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 15, 2002
Pours light amber crystal clear coloured under a large creamy off-white medium lasting head. Unusual splodgy lacing on glass. Faint woody hops plus a hint of something floral aroma. Medium-light body with low carbonation. Poorly blended (ie too distinct) malty sweet and bitter flavoured start. Strange and unpleasant acrid sweet middle and finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
skortila (4349) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - SEP 7, 2002
Spain is not a beer-country, I guess. This is not much.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Wizzard99 (32) - AUSTRALIA - JUN 27, 2002
Not a bad brew, good with tequila