Americas Why Dont We Get Drunk And Brew... Scotch Ale

Formerly brewed at Americas Brewpub
Style: Scotch Ale
Aurora, Illinois USA
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.38/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 264   ABV: 8.8%
Scotch like in flavor, containing 8 different malts including Scotch peat malt that gives it its smokey flavor. Our most requested beer. Very strong... it's 8.8% alc.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
shigadeyo (2962) - Harrison, Ohio, USA - NOV 14, 2006
Sampled from tap on 11/10/2006 at Walter Paytonís Roundhouse in Aurora, IL... Let me start by saying that this is a solid Scoth Ale. I really enjoyed it and was quite impressed with it overall. This is the THE beer to try if you ever make it to Walter Paytonís Roundhouse in Aurora, Illinois! Served in a brandy sniffer. Color is a dark amber with an orangy hue. Nice creamy, orange-colored head. Aroma is caramel malt, and a hint of peat and smoke. The flavor has a complex maltiness to it with a very nice peat and smokiness in the finish. The alcohol is nicely tucked beneath the maltiness and is only evident later in the finish. Slightly heavy on the palate, but just about right. Very smooth and full of flavor (although I would have liked just a touch more smoke!). Very balanced and highly recommended!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 8, 2006
I love a good Scotch Ale...and there arenít that many around! This one looks great...dark mahogany pour with thick, rocky head. The aroma is a wonderfull blend of peat, smoke, scotch whiskey, and caramel. My first impression upon tasting is a big smoky peatiness that really makes this non-smoker want to light up a great cigar while I sip this libation. Big sweet caramel malt bottom is the bass line, while the melody is layered on top of that, featuring a harmonious interplay between the smoke, the scotch, and the hints of toffee and hazelenuts. Or perhaps I just enjoyed getting kicked in the nuts by the alcohol...hard to say, really!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
gws57 (1274) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - SEP 9, 2006
Had this on draught at the brewery in Aurora, Illinois. Served in a brandy glass due to the extraordinary high alcohol content. Deep reddish pour with a thin, lacy head, nose of whisky and sweet chocolate. The flavor is malty and smoky, reminiscent of scotch whisky, but only once the alcohol really roars into the finish. I didnít like this at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cornfield (5362) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - JAN 21, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 8, 2005 My first visit to the pub, and this brew amazed me. Serious malt aroma mixed with alcohol emanated from this caramel colored, tan headed brew. It was warming just to smell it. It was like drinking flaming malts, sweet caramel burning on the tongue as smoky alcohol fumes filled my mouth, nose and sinuses. Nice light hopping to balance the sweetness. Sticky warm finish. It reminded me of Orkney Skullsplitter.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Brewpub, Aurora, IL<font size=-1>