overall
Brewed by Heineken Nederland
Style: Pale Lager
Zoeterwoude, Netherlands

RATINGS: 1270   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.88   EST. CALORIES: 105   ABV: 3.5%
A special light beer containing only 3.5% alcohol and approximately 35% fewer calories than regular lager beer. But every bit as thirst-quenching and refreshing.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
IneedAbuheer (69) - Ingleside, Illinois, USA - JUN 8, 2002
Similar to a typical american light lager like bud light or miller light - with an additional characteristic of more skunky bitterness. Unfortunately, it doesnít add to the expierence. Drinkable, but not pleasurable.

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
adamcbowman (57) - Bowling Green, Ohio, USA - JUN 6, 2002
Possibly the worst experience Iíve had in a beer. Bought it because it always looked like a good beer, but boy was I wrong. Bitter, skuny, and I couldnít even finish it. Not for my tastes but hey, I like the cheap american standards.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
NeroFiddled (105) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 3, 2002
Amstel Light is an odd beer for 2 reasons: 1- It was created soley for the American market. and 2- Although American íLightsí donít have any hop character, Heineken felt they needed to add some. In my opinion, the hop character that is there just doesnít work. Iíd much rather have a Bud Light, Miller Light or Coors Light.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 3, 2002
Nothing too exciting. Why does this beer smell so bad? Itís a light beer, so I couldnít expect too much, really. 95 calories! A typically bland and unremarkable flavor.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
JohnDo2000 (99) - Metairie, Louisiana, USA - MAY 31, 2002
Doesnít have the bite of heineken, but the taste is kind of bland and run of the mill.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - MAY 28, 2002
One word to describe the flavor: SQUID. It tastes like liquid squid thats been carbonated and added to some dirt and water. Cheaper than red lobster.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
coachmark34 (39) - central Illinois, USA - MAY 22, 2002
Well, I had hoped for better, so my evaluation may be a bit clouded by my high hopes. I had heard good things about Amstel light, but I just wasnít that impressed with it. No bite, and a little watery tasting for my palate. I didnít like itís aroma all that much, either. but, hey, it IS a light beer, yíknow. I guess for a light beer I could handle it again.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - MAY 20, 2002
slightly skunk aroma,could detect small amounts of hops,but genrally pretty bland. one of the better light beers, but is still overall its pretty bad

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Diego (79) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 16, 2002
The right beer for the wrong time. I think of Jewish American Princesses and irresponsible evenings doing things my mother would have cringed at. The only reason I drank Amstel was because I didnít want to get too drunk and puke on my Tretorns (Plus I got a sad case of flabby abs). This is not what one would call íbeerí, this is a leaky condom on a warm Sarasota evening. Totally unrewarding. I donít know how they made it look so good but donít trust the beautiful golden brown color. This is just wrong. Worried about calories gentís? Try GMD.

0.8