overall

RATINGS: 959   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Keg and bottle: Filtered.
First brewed in 2005.
Ingredients: Finest barley malts, wheat malts, and fresh whole hops.
Bock beer, released in celebration of the arrival of spring, is an ancient and mysterious part of the brewing tradition. Over time, the term "bock" has come to mean a beer darker and stronger than the brewery’s regular brew. This is the first time we have brewed a bock at Anchor Brewing Co., and we hope you will find it to be a rich and flavorful addition to our offerings. San Francisco’s Anchor Bock Beer is virtually handmade by the brewers of Anchor Steam® Beer, in one of the most traditional small breweries in the world.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - MAY 15, 2006
Dark brown/black with a well formed, light brown cap. Toasty malt aroma with lightly spicy flowers/herbs and dark fruits. Flavor to match with some definite clove action. Palate is thin and watery. Interesting brew, only drawback is the weak palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - MAY 13, 2006
12oz bottle. Creamy pour...dark brown...tan head. looks rich. Earthy, piney, burnt aroma is fairly present and interesting...pine resin is the dominate smell. Somewhat reminds me of the OSA. The taste shows even more piney resin. nice creamy thick mouthfeel, finishes with serious resin. Not striking me in any way as a German beer. Maybe this is just left over OSA??? I’m not knocking it for not being German, rather I’m knocking it for being too much like OSA, which I really dislike for the most part...a beer that can honestly only be drank once a year in very small quantities isn’t a great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAY 13, 2006
Bottle. Pours deep brown black with a thick brown diminishing head. Nice aroma of dark roasted malt, molasses, and chocolate. Initial flavor is sweet and roasty, but as it transitions toward the finish, it becomes tart, bitter, and somewhat thin. Starts off great, and goes downhill from there. Not a terrible beer overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAY 13, 2006
Upon the beers disemboguing the 12-ounce stubby bottle a deep chocolate brown with a massive creamy dark tan head that ever so slowly erodes leaving a thick blanket of lace upon the glass. Nose has a molasses like sweetness, big malt aroma, hints of hops and a bit of chocolate to this old schnozzle, start is somewhat sweet with a good grain presence, the top moderate in feel. Finish is lightly acidic, the hops pleasant in the spiciness, very dry aftertaste, a throwback to the old Bock’s like Pabst.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Illini08 (542) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAY 13, 2006
Shared this bottle with Duane, so thanks to Saarlander as well! Very dark pour with a smallish tan head. First this I noticed when I took a drink of it was how carbonated it was, followed by how thin it was. Not bad tasting, just not my type of Bock I guess.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - MAY 13, 2006
thanks to Saarlander for sending me the 12 oz. bottle and helping me cross off another from my want list. <!-- br --> poured a very dark brown with a tan head. good aroma & flavors of the usual bock suspects, but was very thin and over-carbonated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
raymow (798) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 11, 2006
Nice dark color and crisp, refreshing flavor. This is better than I had expected (I’m not a huge bock fan because they tend to be heavier than I like). This reminds me of Anchors Our Special Ale without all of the spices.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2331) - California, USA - MAY 9, 2006
Really interesting one here. Poured this into my new Alesmith tulip glass. Probably the darkest bock I’ve ever poured, it was a dark brown body with a fairly sizable head. Aroma reminded me a lot of Alesmith’s Wee Heavy. Chocolate, caramel, some darker fruits. Really drinkable and enjoyable... and maybe it was because it was the last of the day, but this reminded me of a lighter version of Wee Heavy. Don’t believe the pitiful goat on the label, this has some kick.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maeib (8598) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - MAY 9, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 1, 2007 Bottled. A dark brown coloured beer with a tan coloured, fairly thin head. The actual appearance is quite murky. The aroma has sweet notes with some malty coffee and a fair dosage of hops. The taste has caramel and licquorice and yet more hops. There are big flavours, some of which you would never find in a German bock and the whole entity seems a little unbalanced. That said it is pleasantly drinkable, especially so on the back of a phone call confirming you’ve sold your house, yet it is over-complicated.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrunkenWeasel (224) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 9, 2006
Pours black with a thin white head. Smells of maple and other malty notes that are difficult to pin down. Taste is malty with almost no hop notes. A classic bock which is my problem with it, just don’t like bocks.