RATINGS: 2099   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82/5   EST. CALORIES: 264   ABV: 8.8%
San Francisco’s celebrated Old Foghorn Ale has been virually handmade by the brewers of Anchor Steam Beer, in one of the world’s smallest and most traditional breweries, since 1975. Our barleywine-style ale, the first of its kind in modern times in the United States, has a luscious depth of flavour that makes it ideal for sipping after dinner. It is made with top-fermenting yeast, fresh whole hops, and "first wort", the richest runnings of a thick all-malt mash. Old Foghorn is "dry hopped" in the classic ale tradition and aged in our cellars until it attains the perfect balance of malty sweetness, estery fruitiness, and exquisite hop character, for which it is known throughout the world. A ruby red ale with little carbonation and a warm finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - JUL 27, 2004
Bottled. Luminescent copper coloured body, with a fine beige/orange head. Hoppy aroma at the start that fades noticeably towards the end of the beer, leaving more Christmas cake aromas, brandy and straight alcohol. Hoppy, sweet flavour. Aniseed there as well if you take a big enough swig. Pleasant enough but not for new comers, there are other barley wines that would serve as a better introduction to the style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RichardGretton (4470) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - JUL 19, 2004
Dense barley wine with a light head, stongly roasted malt aroma, and a very intense bitter malty roasted flavour. Overall a good, good strong beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
sayravai (4700) - Helsinki, FINLAND - JUL 17, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2007 (Bottled, 8.2% ABV) Clear and dark, reddish amber color with a small, mostly fading head. Strong, toffeeish, grainy-malty aroma with berries, plums, and lots of aromatic hops. Fruity, very grainy-malty, slightly roasty, moderately caramely-sweet flavor with some oakiness, and balancing hop bitterness. Alcohol is well-hidden behind the sweetish malt. Medium to full-bodied, warming palate with low to medium carbonation. An enjoyable and balanced, yet easily drinkable barley wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
chriso (7513) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUL 13, 2004
Pretty extreme stuff. Rather alarming pinkish bronze colour. Cloudy, with no carbonation. Very hopy, sweet and spicy aroma, with very noticeable alcohol. Fruity (Christmas cake and damsons) flavour, with lots of hops again, a rather sticky texture and a tart finish. Reminds me of one of those bitter spirits - Campari or Fernet Branca - or even Angostura bitters mixed with treacle. The word bittersweet could have been invented to describe this beer. The alcohol is a bit intrusive throughout. Could hardly be described as smooth, or subtle, but this was intriguing and I rather liked it. 207ml bottle (BBE 31 May 2004) from onlyfinebeer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
oli (108) - DENMARK - JUL 8, 2004
Quality in a (small) bottle.Creamy head that diminished quickly,reddish colour,medium oily body.Powerful aroma from start to finish.Taste is great and complex.Alcohol kicks in late and lingers in the mouth.Nice and smooth,warming.This was a wonderful experience.I´ll get a couple more bottles and store them for years..something to look forward to!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - JUL 6, 2004
Pours a cloudy reddish brown with a small off-white head. Great sweet aroma, very malty, with a slight fruit and caramel smell to it. Flavor is very well balanced, sweet start with a faint bitterness towards the end. Very warming mouthfeel, amazingly smooth for 10%, this brew will probably only get better with age.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JUL 1, 2004
I’ll start this by saying my ONLY complaint is that it doesn’t come in 12oz bottles. The pour was a translucent dark amber. A slight beige head popped up but fizzled away quickly. Nose is similar to another favorite, Sierra’s Bigfoot. The taste was more balanced than Bigfoot. It was hoppy, but there was always a nice malty hand there to keep things in check. A fruity flavor is detected too, maybe apple or pear, but very nice. The finish is definitely not as strong as the Bigfoot....this one is very mild in the end. The case I got is from 2002, so I think I’ll grab several and cellar ’em for a few years and see how they turn out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
larsniclas (6247) - Billdal, SWEDEN - JUN 26, 2004
Bottled.<i/> Amber with a beige head. Extremely malty with notes of vanilla in aroma and flavour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
jgentgesdo (683)
- Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - JUN 25, 2004
Hops, brown sugar, wheat to the nose. Odd but good dried pear flavor, fairly sweet, good malt and hops flavor, also some apple juice. Lively carbonation. The aftertaste is long, bitter, but brings an odd almost meaty flavor. I like it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (5768) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 23, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2007 I have been drinking this beer for a few years now. As I opened the fridge to grab another bottle I realized that I have indeed been a doofus and have failed to rate this one yet. Understand that this is an established favorite I buy by the case to keep on hand. As such I cradled the little 7 oz brown bottle lovingly in my hands. The opener satisfied me with a gentle popping of the cap and lovely wafts of mist rose enticingly from the bottle. I poured this cloudy mahogany beauty into a nice glass with only the smallest of tan heads arising. The complex aroma of hops, caramel. molasses, and pear drifted lovingly to me as I brought the glass closer in my embrace. The taste - so thick - like a heavy syrup coated my tongue. At once I was washed over with a strong hop bitterness that lightly drifted in to sweet caramel and molasses. Again a hint of pear like acidity slipped into my subconscious senses. After lovingly swallowing this treasure the palate was warmed by a lingering caramel flavor that brought harmony and peace to the mouth.