Anchor Our Special Ale (2002)

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 275   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Our Special Ale, a dark, rich, heavily spiced ale with a recipe that changes with each passing year.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SDalkoholic (2146) - Linda Vista, California, USA - DEC 29, 2007
12 oz bottle from a Liquor store in North Park. I have a long story I want to tell about this beer. First, I have been in search for this 2002 special ale since it was the only one I was missing in the lineup. Well, I went to this store since I had remembered it had vintage 6 packs left so I bought a 2005 six pack and when pulling out the first bottle to examine the year I noticed it said 2002. I was so excited and now I get a wish come true for Christmas. The aroma is mild with the slightest notes of dark roast malt and light spicing. The appearance is a deep brown with thick head still able to be created despite its age. The flavor is sort of bland and lost most of its original flavors I imagine it had but it still is smooth and drinkable. I honestly think its past its prime and still say the fresh batches of Anchor’s special ale will be the best tasting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TBone (12547) - Pori, FINLAND - DEC 29, 2007
Bottled
Dark nut brown color, very small off-white head. Chocolaty, rye breadish "vintage aroma". Very coffeish, roasted flavor, some American hops. Liquerish, specially in the aftertaste. Loads of coffee and chocolate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
oh6gdx (20330) - Vasa, FINLAND - DEC 29, 2007
Bottled (thanks Degarth!). Deep amber colour, not much head. Aroma is spices, raisins some coffee and chocolate. Flavour is mildly oxidized, caramelly, quite hoppy and mild malts & raisins.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 27, 2007
At a recent Champaign-Urbana Beer Club meeting, mamabeer and her papa provided a vertical tasting of these special ales from 2001 through 2007. Thanks Nancy and Tom. This 2002 was like a holiday fruitcake (and I love a GOOD fruitcake). Poured dark chestnut with a robust tan head. The aroma was spice, fruit, chocolate, caramel, well, as I said, a fruitcake in the best sense of the word. Same elements held in the flavor with a nice spicy finish. Nice treat.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bier brauen (246) - Bremerton, Washington, USA - DEC 15, 2007
2007 edition. Nice aroma but thin mouthfeel and bitter taste. Not as big as the inviting seasonal aroma would promise.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
VikingHammer (506) - Lynnfield, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 10, 2007
Dark brown pour with an off-white head. Ginger and allspice aroma with hints of nutmeg. Spicy with a roasted finish. Medium body.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
RSRIZZO (1853) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 2, 2007
Had this beer on 12/3/2002. Color is a deep rich solid brown, no light comes though. Good carbonation and thin head. Taste is rich and very spicy. WOW. Starting with a medium body that goes down with a strong spicy feel. Finish is almost too much to explain, full of coriander and spicy with a nice roasted taste. This is far more flavor than they or anyone else has put into a charismas brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerheart (237) - Erie, Colorado, USA - SEP 7, 2007
On cask at the Gingerman in Houston in 2004. One of the best beers I’ve ever tasted. I think I would call it a porter more than an ale, because of the wonderful chocolate aromas and flavors that intermingled with the spices and citurs. Pours a deep red-brown with a nice head. Sits medium-full on the palate with gentle carbonation. Very well-seasoned, as you can imagine, sitting 2 years in a cask. Tastes of chocolate, nutmeg. Nicely malted. The chocolate really comes through with warming.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kp (10886) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2009
Date: November 26, 2002
Mode: Bottle
Source: Bullock’s
Vintage: 2002
Appearance: dark ruby red, whispy tan head
Aroma: heavy spiced aroma with spruce, nutmeg, allspice, and a hint of cinamon
Flavor: rich malt flavor, lots of spice, after warming the malt character really comes out with lots of chocolate, only a hint of bitterness

Date: November 29, 2003
Source: summits
Vintage: 2002
Appearance: wow
Flavor: big chocolate flavor, spices have receeded into a unique bitter finish, hint of liquorish coming through in the aroma and flavor at the end

Date: February 15, 2004
Mode: bottle
Vintage: 2002
Aroma: nice mild chocolate malt aroma with a touch of spices
Flavor: rich chocolate flavor, touch of sweetness, nice blend of spices

Date: July 15, 2005
Source: summits cumming
Vintage: 2002
Aroma: chocolate cover pine needle aroma with a wide array of spices
Flavor: lots of sweet spicy pine tree flavor, lots of rich chocolate, lots of complexity, more chocolate than bitter, one amazing brew
Overall: the pine is making a comeback being stronger than the last couple of years, unusual for the osa which usually continues to mellow

Date: August 19, 2005
Source: summits
Vintage: 2002
big pine aroma and flavor still present like last month, lots of spice bitterness

Date: November 23, 2005
Vintage: 2002<br

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
cbkschubert (2900) - BFE, Arizona, USA - AUG 12, 2007
12 oz. bottle via trade with IrishBoy - Pours a brown color with a one finger thick tan head. Light lacing. Aroma is strong spice (nutmeg, allspice). Flavor is roasted malt and spice with some redsidual sweetness. Palate is slightly dry with a slight lingering aftertaste. Medium body. To be honest, I think they all taste the same. I guess I need to try a vertical to see the difference. A good beer. Thanks Richard.