Anchor Our Special Ale (2002)

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 271   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Our Special Ale, a dark, rich, heavily spiced ale with a recipe that changes with each passing year.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Jurgen (7) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 1, 2003 does not count
Dark, muddy, thin head. The aroma is unique; medicinal, ginger with some herb and/or pine scent. It reminds me of something, but I can't say what; the closest thing I can think of is an old tonic called Geritol. The taste is as different as the aroma; clean, but medicinal. Not a beer I would choose to drink again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BBB63 (5962) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Well it's spicy, very spicy, just too damn spicy. Just can't enjoy any subdued characteristics. I simply could not finish the bottle and even gave the beer a second chance, still not my cup of tea (or bottle of beer). Gave the other four away in a holiday sampler I made, so disappointed

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cavie (3750) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - FEB 23, 2011
Bottle courtesy bu11zeye. Pours a slightly dark brownish red to orange highlights in the light. Small bubbly head. Aroma is quite spicy. Lots of sharp nutmeg and dry notes. Flavor is a mix of spice and cardboard. Dry bitter flavor that has some cooking herbs near the finish. Probably oxidized.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
SiddFinch (155) - Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2002
Dark, thick, long-lasting head. Smells like pine. Tastes like pine, dates. Has a strange, hoppy finish that lingers for hours. This is a well made specialty beer but I couldn’t see drinking more than one (a season).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
kwoeltje (2232) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - JAN 1, 2003
I like some spiced beers--depends on the balance. Didn’t like this at all. Hint of licorice that I really disliked.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - DEC 19, 2003
It's a pine tree in a bottle... I will hear no argument!!! The appearance was nice, but thats about where my curiosity ceased... I smelled the aroma... i knew i had smelled it before.... but i couldsnt identify it.... IT WAS THE ODOR OF THE CHRISTMAS TREE I HAD PUT UP THE DAY BEFORE!!!! Sadly... the taste reflected the flavor to an astonishing degree...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
whiterabbit81 (244) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAY 14, 2003
Well, it was 2.99 a six pack but very old (it was bought in April). I drank it warm, and i have to say it was terrible. I am not a fan of the winter spiced beers, but this was one was especially bad. Poured it down the drain and threw out the rest. Looking at the rest of these ratings I must be on crack.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Ungstrup (29135) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - JAN 14, 2004
A black beer with a reddish shine and a light brown though fast disappearing head. The aroma is weird of spruce, oranges, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and eucalyptus. The flavor is weird too with the same notes as the aroma.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Dark brown with some red hints and a tan head that started kind of big and ended as a ring. The aroma contains some nice spice notes, a bit of cinnamon. However, the aroma also has a ton of age on it and has a rusty pipe hint to it that at some points overwhelm the aroma, and other times is hidden in the background. The body is just as I remember all other OSA’s to be, but has some graininess to it. The flavour is mixed, like the aroma, between some gross old rust and tons of Christmas spice, gingerbread, and such. I think 4 years is a but much as far as age is concerned on this one...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Metalhead (627) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - JUL 24, 2004
Looked great,deep brown with a barely visible head. Smelled of X-mas thru and thru. Too bad it tasted like a cross between a bad porter and a fucking X-mas wreath. Yuck.