Anchor Our Special Ale (2002)

RATINGS: 277   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Our Special Ale, a dark, rich, heavily spiced ale with a recipe that changes with each passing year.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - DEC 17, 2002
ginger bread nose, just took a sip. When i was little I once took a bite out of a ginger bread christmas ornemant that hung from our tree, Thats what this tasted like.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - NOV 22, 2003
Pours a dark brown with decent head. Aroma is very spicy, nutmeg in the nose. Way too much nutmeg for my liking in the flavor...reminds me way too much of grandma's cooking for me to find it enjoyable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
MartinKubert (862) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JAN 14, 2004
Strong pinecone finish. Very sour and strange. Spicy and roasted. Burned toast and sour socks in the palate. Malty sourness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
LyndaNova (532) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 21, 2006
Cold 12oz bottle: Pours a clear dark red color with a minimal amount of tan bubbles that totally dissolve and leave no trace. Cinnamon and other spices, rich malts, notes of dark fruit (plums?) and some alcohol. Smooth, with medium carbonation and a medium to full body. Ending is of subtle earthy hops, some spice and sour notes.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Jurgen (7) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 1, 2003 does not count
Dark, muddy, thin head. The aroma is unique; medicinal, ginger with some herb and/or pine scent. It reminds me of something, but I can't say what; the closest thing I can think of is an old tonic called Geritol. The taste is as different as the aroma; clean, but medicinal. Not a beer I would choose to drink again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BBB63 (6507) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Well it's spicy, very spicy, just too damn spicy. Just can't enjoy any subdued characteristics. I simply could not finish the bottle and even gave the beer a second chance, still not my cup of tea (or bottle of beer). Gave the other four away in a holiday sampler I made, so disappointed

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - DEC 13, 2004
Bottle. Plan B. Cph. Dk. Vintage 2002. Dark red-brown color with a sweet roasted fruity aroma and taste, medium body and a smoked finish. The finish reminds me of rauch beer, smoked eal, I don´t like that.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cavie (4043) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - FEB 23, 2011
Bottle courtesy bu11zeye. Pours a slightly dark brownish red to orange highlights in the light. Small bubbly head. Aroma is quite spicy. Lots of sharp nutmeg and dry notes. Flavor is a mix of spice and cardboard. Dry bitter flavor that has some cooking herbs near the finish. Probably oxidized.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - JAN 1, 2003
I like some spiced beers--depends on the balance. Didn’t like this at all. Hint of licorice that I really disliked.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - DEC 19, 2003
It's a pine tree in a bottle... I will hear no argument!!! The appearance was nice, but thats about where my curiosity ceased... I smelled the aroma... i knew i had smelled it before.... but i couldsnt identify it.... IT WAS THE ODOR OF THE CHRISTMAS TREE I HAD PUT UP THE DAY BEFORE!!!! Sadly... the taste reflected the flavor to an astonishing degree...