RATINGS: 1975   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This is our special ale from the brewers at Anchor. It is sold only from early November to mid-January. The Aleís recipe is different every year, but the intent with which we offer it remains the same: joy and celebration of the newness of life. Since ancient times, trees have symbolized the winter solstice when the earth, with its seasons appears born anew.

Editorís Note: due to the significant similarity in style and strength from year to year (despite potential differences in the exact spice blend), this beer is no longer separated by vintage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
Sonicdescent (384) - Donora, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 23, 2009
Poured into Pint Glass, insane amount of thick, creamy head. A lot darker than I expected, looks like the color of black coffee with a slight translucency. First whiff gave me some spice and alcohol scent. Second gave me a huge hit of citrus and hops. Very appetizing though the hoppy scent always throws up an alarm in my neck of the woods..this may be out of my league. Finally as the head settles a little bit, I get a taste. Wow, very smooth and unexpected considering the heavy scent. Very well balanced with a fruity taste at first leaving a lingering citrus aftertaste. The hops from the scent are there, but not nearly as overpowering as I thought it would be. Mouthfeel is surprisingly thick as this has a major coating sensation. Color me impressed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mistersinalin (381) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - MAR 11, 2008
This beer helped me win a best of seven pool match, which turned into a best of ten, for which I then lost. Good beer though. Unique tasting herbs, just right for holiday times.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
joohefner (380) - Isla Vista, California, USA - NOV 15, 2007
dark earth color with very small tan head. spicy sweet treacle aroma with a light orange peel note. smooth thin body. spicy cocoa earth flavor, like a spiced brown ale. the spice is pretty complex: sage, nutmeg, and i also pick up some yeast phenols. good very layered but its body seems awkwardly thin

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BadAprilia1000 (379) - Sevierville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 18, 2012
This beer pours a nice ruby red color with a decent head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is of cinnamon, nutmeg, and yeasty gingerbread. Taste is very much so gingerbread and Christmas cookies in general with sweet malts flowing throughout, along with a very prevalent nutmeg note. Great flavor in this beer, big but drinkable

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
njnut (378) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - FEB 23, 2015
Poured from bottle to lager glass a bottle brown with huge tan head that lasted. Plenty of tan lace. Aroma was a wonderful spice infused malt that was not overbearing. Really a nice change from the pumpkin spice bombs of the fall. There were notes of spice, vanilla, malt, and clove in the taste. Well done and something that changes a bit year to year and I look foward to it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
AdamSkillin (376) - High Bridge, New Jersey, USA - NOV 27, 2008
Draught at the Burns House on Thanksgiving 2008. It’s a gorgeous deep mahogany color with a malty and spice-balanced flavor that makes it a perfect beer for cold weather.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
sblsimone85 (375) - USA - MAR 17, 2013
Birra natalizia della anchor affumicata tostata aromi di caffè x una buona birra, amaro da tostatura. ---Rated BY Italianbeer85

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Onionkid (371) - Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA - JUN 10, 2012
Bottle. Aroma of spices and malt. Taste is similar, a very holiday beer. Not bad. 5.5% abv.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - NOV 19, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 15, 2006 Pours a really nice ruby/brown with a two finger tan head that fades slowly to a nice cap, and leaves tons of lacing on the sides of my glass as I drink it. Smell; cinnamon, nutmeg, a bit of chocolate and a little pine tree. It smells sweet, and the spices definitely make me think of the holidays. Taste; the spices hit first, cinnamon and ginger, caramel, a little bit of pine tree, and just enough of a hop bite to it. I also get a little vanlla as it gets warmer. Itís not as sweet as the smell would have led me to believe, which Iím thankful for. Mouthfeel is medium to full in body, and very smooth. I find that I have to make myself slow down a little as I drink this. I picked up a bottel to try since Iíve never had this before, now Iím going to have to go out and get more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
ford9719 (371) - Vilseck, GERMANY - DEC 24, 2006
Bottle. Poured a slight dark with white head. Had the aroma of pine. But tasted like a flat coke. Not that great of a beer.