RATINGS: 2050   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This is our special ale from the brewers at Anchor. It is sold only from early November to mid-January. The Ale’s recipe is different every year, but the intent with which we offer it remains the same: joy and celebration of the newness of life. Since ancient times, trees have symbolized the winter solstice when the earth, with its seasons appears born anew.

Editor’s Note: due to the significant similarity in style and strength from year to year (despite potential differences in the exact spice blend), this beer is no longer separated by vintage.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Gbgbrouge (377) - SWEDEN - DEC 13, 2014
Poured from bottle, clear dark copper with low head. Aroma strong and complex, notes of caramel, butter, apricot and glühwein. Taste is equally complex malty sweet with little or no bitterness. Odd one...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
AdamSkillin (376) - High Bridge, New Jersey, USA - NOV 27, 2008
Draught at the Burns House on Thanksgiving 2008. It’s a gorgeous deep mahogany color with a malty and spice-balanced flavor that makes it a perfect beer for cold weather.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Onionkid (376) - Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA - JUN 10, 2012
Bottle. Aroma of spices and malt. Taste is similar, a very holiday beer. Not bad. 5.5% abv.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pet3rman (375) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 15, 2012
A delicious blend of spices and maltiness. An unexpected holiday treat! Thanks Mom! 2011 - Pours dark ruby with small bubbly head. Aroma is complex (molasses and holiday spice) Taste is that of molasses, cranberries and a hint of nutmeg. Lasting spice finish. Great beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - NOV 19, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 15, 2006 Pours a really nice ruby/brown with a two finger tan head that fades slowly to a nice cap, and leaves tons of lacing on the sides of my glass as I drink it. Smell; cinnamon, nutmeg, a bit of chocolate and a little pine tree. It smells sweet, and the spices definitely make me think of the holidays. Taste; the spices hit first, cinnamon and ginger, caramel, a little bit of pine tree, and just enough of a hop bite to it. I also get a little vanlla as it gets warmer. It’s not as sweet as the smell would have led me to believe, which I’m thankful for. Mouthfeel is medium to full in body, and very smooth. I find that I have to make myself slow down a little as I drink this. I picked up a bottel to try since I’ve never had this before, now I’m going to have to go out and get more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
ford9719 (371) - Vilseck, GERMANY - DEC 24, 2006
Bottle. Poured a slight dark with white head. Had the aroma of pine. But tasted like a flat coke. Not that great of a beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ChristianSA (368) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 23, 2005
Bottle. Very dark chestnut with huge, tan and very stable head, dragging excellent lace. Aroma is awesome with the spices being in your face without being overpowering. I get licorice, clove , cinnamon and worchestershire sauce. Flavor is lightly roasted and malty with a long roasted aftertaste. The spices are only barely noticeable - just as I like my spiced beers. A bit watery in the mouth and a bit too fizzy, but not enough to distract you from the qualities of this brew. Very good for a spiced beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
theOptimator (368) - Sacramento, California, USA - DEC 10, 2011
Aroma is cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, dark fruit. Appearance is dark brown mahogany with medium large tan head. Taste is complex spice. Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, dark fruits, black licorice, wood, roasty, earthy, some sourness, mint. Palate is medium+. Overall a very interesting beer. Does an excellent job of combining many nice christmas spices, but keeping balanced and not over the top. A complex beer I feel would age well, but is great right now.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
LarsEngen (367) - Sandvika, NORWAY - JAN 19, 2014
35,5 cl bottle from etregourmet.be. This 2013 edition pours dark brown with a large creamy, beige head that stays up. Aromas of chocolate, coffee, cinnamon and orange. Flavour is malty with dark, bitter chocolate and spices. Creamy mouthfeel with a very long spiced aftertaste that after 5 min changes to dark bitter chocolate. Some alcohol warmth as well. Well brewed and a nice different beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
naivepegasus (366) - USA - NOV 20, 2008
2008 version. pours a dark brown with about two fingers of tan, slowly dissipating head. Sweet raisin and sweet fruit odor. Lots of spice, I taste, cinnamon, pumpkin and clove. Interesting, I kind of dig it, its good for a nice cold.