overall

RATINGS: 1821   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This is our special ale from the brewers at Anchor. It is sold only from early November to mid-January. The Aleís recipe is different every year, but the intent with which we offer it remains the same: joy and celebration of the newness of life. Since ancient times, trees have symbolized the winter solstice when the earth, with its seasons appears born anew.

Editorís Note: due to the significant similarity in style and strength from year to year (despite potential differences in the exact spice blend), this beer is no longer separated by vintage.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 12, 2005
I just didnít get the enjoyment from this beer that others have. To me, the dominant flavor was bubblegum. Like from trading cards....

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - JAN 26, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2007 Ok, I couldnít stand the 2005 batch, so I tried the 2006 batch to see if I still hate it. I do, but I paid more attention to the details this time, so it warrants a re-rate. The aroma still reminds me of bubblegum right off the bat. The flavor does, too, but Iíll try to break it down. My friend pointed out orange blossom, with which I now agree. There is also clove, anise, tons of sassafrass, candy cinnamon (like the kind they put on apples at the fair), and a very strange sugary note. I drank it without any problem, but I still donít like it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - MAR 19, 2006
This beer pours a deep reddish color with an off white head. Tastes of apple and other spices at first, and then trails off into a bitter cascade hop flavor, which then trails into a pretty poor aftertaste. I think this beer gets by on itís name mostly. I wouldnít drink another.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
gnoff (7663) - MŲlndal, SWEDEN - NOV 6, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2014 First rating
Initial Rating Date: 11/6/2006
330 ml bottle at Haket, GŲteborg.
2006 Christmas ale.
Ruby red color, tan head. Spicy clove scent. Taste is clove and lots of spicy malts. Low bitterness.
8/4/7/3/14=3.6

Second rating
UPDATED 11/19/2006
Bottle
Vinous a bit minty, strong sugary smell. Deep ruby red color, tan head. A bit fruity taste, thin and boring, vinous. No bitterness. Just plain too boring.
5/3/5/2/9=2.4

Rerate
On tap as part of a flight at Brewerís Tasting Room, St. Pete, FL, on January 22, 2014.
Clear very dark red color, light brown head. Sweet, spicy taste. Tart, dry aftertaste. Thin mouthfeel, low bitterness. Sweet scent, a bit spicy.
5/4/5/2/10=2.6

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 29, 2006
The spicing rates have dropped tremendously since the last time I had OSA, which was about two years ago. The nose has a bit of spruce that comes to life as the beer warms. The palate is nice and dry with a moderate amount of pine. This is a style that I donít think too much of.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
screwball (1099) - Motala, SWEDEN - DEC 22, 2005
Has a red-black colour. A off-white head. The aroma is sooo much better than the flavor. The flavor is soure and has some hints of coffee.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
bombshelter (349) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 20, 2006
tasted vs the 03 and 04. better than 04, but not as good as 03. tons of nutmeg (they should just call this nutmeg brew), cinammon, other spices. nice body, good flavor, but just too nutmeg-y.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
chimpscampee (566) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 20, 2006
I donít know if aniseed and corianderar are part of the spicing but whateverit is it is gross. I taste cranberry more than cherry. Unbalanced with too much malt. Syrupy and a bit cloying. Yuck.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
truegen (167) - Puyallup, Washington, USA - DEC 28, 2007
2007 bottle. Opaque black color, good head that is almost instantly gone. Almost no aroma, and flavors are really underwhelming, except for a hint of ?lavender? This is just bland, dark stuff, and a real disappointment.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jj21 (84) - Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2008
2005 I was looking forward to this one since purchasing it last winter as a closeout. I drank one right away (I should have reviewed it looking back) and it was great. Nice and hoppy. Since this is supposed to age well, I thought, why not. Let me tell you why not. Pours Dark brown with decent carbonation and a strange colored head- almost a hint of green(?) to it. Aroma was way too much juniper. I couldnít figure out what I hated about it until reading a few reviews after tasting and then it hit me. Thatís all I could smell and it was hard to get anything else but there were the usual dark fruits and other spices. The flavor didnít offer much more than the aroma. Too much juniper on the nose. The mouthfeel was nice though. Lighter than expected and lively carbonation. All-in-all, a dissapointment. Next time, Iíll drink them fresh. Live and learn.