overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 560   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.68   EST. CALORIES: 99   ABV: 3.3%
The tradition of brewing two distinct beers from one mash has existed for thousands of years, and for centuries the term "small beer" was used in English to describe the lighter and weaker second beer. We make our Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale from the rich first runnings of an all-malt mash, and Anchor Small Beer is our attempt to duplicate the "small beers" of old by sparging that same mash: sprinkling warm water over the Old Foghorn mash after the first wort has run off, thereby creating a second, lighter brew from the resulting thinner wort. We believe you will find Anchor Small Beer delicious—similar to what modern brewers call a "bitter"—and we hope you will also enjoy the idea of reviving an ancient brewing tradition, which is something of great importance.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - JAN 20, 2003
Slight malt aroma, with a touch of malt throughout. Decent amount bitterness for style. A good session brew.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 25, 2002
Pours a light orange color with a small white head. Not much aroma besides a trace of skunk. Watery mouthfeel. Slight bitterness. This beer is weak, watery and nothing like Anchor’s other offerings. I’m certainly never going to drink this again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 12, 2002
Deep golden hue, slight red tint. White head that clings to glass. Crisp malt nose. Lots of carbonation, light footed on palate, sweet malt first, clean all the way through, then a big over bitter finish. Decent, crisp and refreshing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - NOV 10, 2002
Tastes almost like bitter club soda. I like bitter beers, so I can’t say I totally disliked this beer. I am happy I tried it, but will not buy it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - OCT 1, 2002
Pouring with a closed rocky head with a pilsner-like nose, nice and smooth with balanced malt and hop all the way though, definatly a good summer time beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - SEP 22, 2002
I must have had a long expired bottle. It didn’t really smell skunky, but it smelled old. Very yeasty and dry. The beer itself was an attractive dun color, with a respectable head. Something was obviously wrong with this beer, because it had that funny old beer taste. I’ll have to find a new bottle and give this another shot. From what i could tell, the beer tasted nicely balanced, dry, with a good deal of malt in the mash. I wish stores would pull old product off the shelves. Only in a perfect world.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 11, 2002
Re-Rate 09/11/02: Been almost 3 years since I had one of the ’Bad Boys’, guess its about time. Clear deep gold in color, generous white head, lots-o-lace. Nose is malt, clean and crisp. Front is malt, top light, the finish is hop bitter, dry, moderately carbonated. ranks #836 on my current 1000 beer master list.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
SpaceMonkey (182) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 25, 2002
Striking yellow-amber hues along with the far off smell of a freshwater lake mixed with malt start off this diminutive brew. A bit bitter bite and little else makes up the bulk of this beer. Without the cloying and annoying bite, which lasts quite long, there wouldn’t be much here. Lake water laced with fertilizer is the best I can describe it.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
rich42 (128) - USA - AUG 7, 2002
like someone took an esb and mixed it 50% with seltzer water. the bitterness stands out because there’s nothing else to it - maybe a slight hint of malt someplace. is strangely filling for how watered down it is. if you want something light and refreshing - get a bass instead. sometime’s there’s a good reason ’they don’t make them like that anymore’

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 9/20
fraternie (814) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 4, 2002
Astonishingly bad for this brewery. Thin and bland malt flavor that finishes with an unbearable dryness. At 2.3%, I find myself wondering why I even purchased this.