overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 574   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.69   EST. CALORIES: 99   ABV: 3.3%
The tradition of brewing two distinct beers from one mash has existed for thousands of years, and for centuries the term "small beer" was used in English to describe the lighter and weaker second beer. We make our Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale from the rich first runnings of an all-malt mash, and Anchor Small Beer is our attempt to duplicate the "small beers" of old by sparging that same mash: sprinkling warm water over the Old Foghorn mash after the first wort has run off, thereby creating a second, lighter brew from the resulting thinner wort. We believe you will find Anchor Small Beer delicious—similar to what modern brewers call a "bitter"—and we hope you will also enjoy the idea of reviving an ancient brewing tradition, which is something of great importance.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
scrawfis (143) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - APR 10, 2001
By far the worst Anchor beer I have drank. I was expecting remnants of the barleywine. This beer tastes more like an American lager style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
elelwarren (140) - SF Bay area, California, USA - FEB 15, 2008
I suspect that this beer is ranked low not because of lack of flavor, particularly compared to other bitters, but rather because of the fact that it’s alcohol by volume comes to a lowly 3.3%. You’re not drinking Old Foghorn here! I am actually interested in finding low alcohol beers that are full of flavor for those moments when I have no desire to get sloshed & this one fits that role well. Technical: Pours a sparkling , straw-like golden with a giant head. Smells strongly of lemon blossoms & sweet toffee. Flavor less pronounced at first, quite dry, with lots of grassy, long-lasting hops bitterness. Some sharp citric acidity. Malts not very apparent.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
ajwilliams (132) - , Indiana, USA - APR 4, 2009
Bitter, light, crisp, watery. What do these words have in common? They all describe a rather disappointing beer. I love Old Foghorn, so I guess I will stick to that.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
mctous (131) - Herndon, Virginia, USA - APR 28, 2007
The aroma naturally favors the hops with so little malt content! It pours quite attractively, a clear light gold with a fine, short-lived head. The flavor also favors the hops, quite cleanly extracted, but the lack of malt body lessens the palate and finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Sobchak (131) - Skagen, DENMARK - SEP 5, 2005
Faint malty aroma. Slight spicyness on the palate. Refreshing dry aftertaste. Not the most complex of beers, but you can hardly expect that from the style. Hats of to the breweries that still brew this type of ale !

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Aesir (130) - Tustin, California, USA - MAY 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2006 Definately a thin bodied brew that finishes quite bitter. But this is a thirst quencher. It may not have the fancy aroma or a diverse palate, but it’s good. I like this beer served as cold as it can get and then drink it down in big refreshing gulps. I also like the brewers attention to the history behind the beer--makes me feel like I’m learning something as I drink.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
rich42 (128) - USA - AUG 7, 2002
like someone took an esb and mixed it 50% with seltzer water. the bitterness stands out because there’s nothing else to it - maybe a slight hint of malt someplace. is strangely filling for how watered down it is. if you want something light and refreshing - get a bass instead. sometime’s there’s a good reason ’they don’t make them like that anymore’

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
DomiNate (123) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 15, 2004
Light golden brown pour. Thin white foamy head. Little roasty and malt smell. Taste is bitter and sticky. Not to bitter, but enough to notice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
johnluvsbeer (120) - Arizona, USA - MAR 15, 2012
Golden amber color-good carbonation level-has a decent head. Somewhat hoppy aroma.Bitterness is right upfront with minimal malt. A bit unbalanced in my opinion. Average mouthfeel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
blueduk (118) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - JAN 28, 2007
OH GOD! A beer with low alcohol and light on the hops! Better rate it low! The beer pours a rich, clear amber with a medium stark white bubbly head. I had very nice lacing left on the glass. Aromas are strongly malts. Whole grain bread, apple-fruity.There are some traces of hop aroma, but every time I think I latch on it slips away. Tease. Light on the palate, but full of flavor, this beer brings a mix of the malt grain flavor with some bittering. However, I think more of the brightness comes from the carbonation, which gives that little prickle. The beer has a pretty long finish, as well. I would drink this beer any day and enjoy it as much.