Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 577   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.69   EST. CALORIES: 99   ABV: 3.3%
The tradition of brewing two distinct beers from one mash has existed for thousands of years, and for centuries the term "small beer" was used in English to describe the lighter and weaker second beer. We make our Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale from the rich first runnings of an all-malt mash, and Anchor Small Beer is our attempt to duplicate the "small beers" of old by sparging that same mash: sprinkling warm water over the Old Foghorn mash after the first wort has run off, thereby creating a second, lighter brew from the resulting thinner wort. We believe you will find Anchor Small Beer delicious—similar to what modern brewers call a "bitter"—and we hope you will also enjoy the idea of reviving an ancient brewing tradition, which is something of great importance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
treadyroc (149) - St. Leonard, Maryland, USA - JUN 29, 2007
Has a very malty flavor to it & is highly carbonated. Nothing notable in the color, but the aroma really reminds me of the stuff that floats at the top of a fermenter tank. An interesting concept for a brew, & worth trying, but not something I’d go for other than that first novelty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
tangentrider (144) - Alabama, USA - JUL 25, 2008
Amber beer with a small off-white head; Aroma is bread and bitter grass; Flavor is a bit watery, but with a nice bitterness and a touch of malt; Finish is bitter with a very so slight sweetness; Very different and not at all like Foghorn, but I like it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
scrawfis (143) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - APR 10, 2001
By far the worst Anchor beer I have drank. I was expecting remnants of the barleywine. This beer tastes more like an American lager style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
elelwarren (140) - SF Bay area, California, USA - FEB 15, 2008
I suspect that this beer is ranked low not because of lack of flavor, particularly compared to other bitters, but rather because of the fact that it’s alcohol by volume comes to a lowly 3.3%. You’re not drinking Old Foghorn here! I am actually interested in finding low alcohol beers that are full of flavor for those moments when I have no desire to get sloshed & this one fits that role well. Technical: Pours a sparkling , straw-like golden with a giant head. Smells strongly of lemon blossoms & sweet toffee. Flavor less pronounced at first, quite dry, with lots of grassy, long-lasting hops bitterness. Some sharp citric acidity. Malts not very apparent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
nybol (137) - DENMARK - JUL 10, 2015
følge producentens hjemmeside er øllen en bitter, og det er den. En meget humlet øl, med lav procent og en god eftersmag der er lidt mere blød en selve smagen og et stejf af et eller frugtagtigt. Er man glad for humlet øl, er denne sagen.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
ajwilliams (132) - , Indiana, USA - APR 4, 2009
Bitter, light, crisp, watery. What do these words have in common? They all describe a rather disappointing beer. I love Old Foghorn, so I guess I will stick to that.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Sobchak (131) - Skagen, DENMARK - SEP 5, 2005
Faint malty aroma. Slight spicyness on the palate. Refreshing dry aftertaste. Not the most complex of beers, but you can hardly expect that from the style. Hats of to the breweries that still brew this type of ale !

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
mctous (131) - Herndon, Virginia, USA - APR 28, 2007
The aroma naturally favors the hops with so little malt content! It pours quite attractively, a clear light gold with a fine, short-lived head. The flavor also favors the hops, quite cleanly extracted, but the lack of malt body lessens the palate and finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Aesir (130) - Tustin, California, USA - MAY 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2006 Definately a thin bodied brew that finishes quite bitter. But this is a thirst quencher. It may not have the fancy aroma or a diverse palate, but it’s good. I like this beer served as cold as it can get and then drink it down in big refreshing gulps. I also like the brewers attention to the history behind the beer--makes me feel like I’m learning something as I drink.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
rich42 (128) - USA - AUG 7, 2002
like someone took an esb and mixed it 50% with seltzer water. the bitterness stands out because there’s nothing else to it - maybe a slight hint of malt someplace. is strangely filling for how watered down it is. if you want something light and refreshing - get a bass instead. sometime’s there’s a good reason ’they don’t make them like that anymore’