overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 559   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.68   EST. CALORIES: 99   ABV: 3.3%
The tradition of brewing two distinct beers from one mash has existed for thousands of years, and for centuries the term "small beer" was used in English to describe the lighter and weaker second beer. We make our Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale from the rich first runnings of an all-malt mash, and Anchor Small Beer is our attempt to duplicate the "small beers" of old by sparging that same mash: sprinkling warm water over the Old Foghorn mash after the first wort has run off, thereby creating a second, lighter brew from the resulting thinner wort. We believe you will find Anchor Small Beer delicious—similar to what modern brewers call a "bitter"—and we hope you will also enjoy the idea of reviving an ancient brewing tradition, which is something of great importance.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
PaulHegedus (85) - British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 27, 2008
Foghorn’s little brother. Draught at the brewery, Aug 2008. Ironic bottle indeed. This has a simple, dry flavour, but simple does not mean bad by any means. There is subtle hops, a bit of fruit. Someone wrote tea, I could see that maybe. A good session beer. I respect the brewery for making this unique, witty little beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
aetheon (82) - The Gutter, Minnesota, USA - DEC 27, 2009
nice medium golden color, smallish head and fair amount of lacing. medium carbonation as well. Flavor is a bit different than most beers, not much malt comes thru at all, even tho the hops are not overly strong they present most of the flavor which is very earthy with notes of cardboard and pine. Overall the beer is alright, I might drink it again, but I prefer most of the other Anchor beers over this. Oh and I would not agree that it is similar to a bitter as they state.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Plaas (82) - Alkmaar, NETHERLANDS - SEP 8, 2012
Basically, this is a nice malty beer, but this basics are a bit killed by the hops. Less is more, but this is too much. Could have been deeper and complex, even as a small beer - just let the malts do their job.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
arhythmt (69) - USA - SEP 24, 2004
This beer is nasty stuff...and I love the regular Anchor Brewing products. Tastes like dry-hopped water, basically.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
PhysZac (69) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 1, 2008
Gusher, but pour gets me stoked. It looks great. Golden, nice head, streaming bubbles. Smells like nothing, then maybe some yeast. Tastes like metal, then sour. Terrible. I let it sit an hour (don’t want to drink). Try again at RT. Much nicer this time. Biscuit and yeast replace sour and metal. No hop presence. Watery, watery, foamy. Not so good. I can’t think of a time I would want to drink this ass water.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
generallee08 (64) - New York, USA - OCT 7, 2013
Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1pt. 6oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. The neck label has a short description of the beer but there is no freshness date or abv%. Appearance: The body has a light amber to orange amber color with good clarity and some visible carbonation. From the pour I got an average size head (about two fingers) with a just off white color. This head fades slowly and makes some nice lacing on the glass as I drink. Smell: It light overall and has a light pale biscuit like maltiness with some mild grassy/herbal hops. (This was not what I was expecting at all.) Taste/Palate: The flavor closely matches the smell. It starts with a thin pale malt with light bready and biscuity notes. This is then quickly over run by a slightly citrusy, almost astringent, grassy hop character. It finishes with this acidic bitterness hanging on to the tongue. The body has a light and fairly thin feel with plenty of scrubbing carbonation. Notes: For a beer based off the second running of there Barleywine this was not what I was expecting and not a beer that I would seek out again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
MikeyMalts (64) - Davis, California, USA - JUN 27, 2011
22oz. bottle poured into tulip glass. Pours a light golden straw color and has a white minimal head. Aromas highly of cereal, some hay and light citrus. A very light bodied beer of course, but big on bitterness and carbonation...fizziness takes over the palate basically. Finish is bitter and very dry. I’m a fan of Anchor but this isn’t up there at all for their best...just the steam beer alone is way a better choice. Cool bottle but I wouldn’t buy it again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
supermikeyb (43) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - FEB 23, 2003
Very unusuall style, I've often heard about this beer but never tried untill I was at the brewery. Its the perfect summer beer. Extremely light malt, subtle hops, very low alcohol content...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Arnoud (35) - Hawthorne, New Jersey, USA - APR 24, 2002
I think I’m only the second reviewer who likes this beer. But any beer brewed by Fritz is okay by me. Anchor Small Beer is thin by the standards of American micro ales but it makes up for it in pure refreshment. The bitterness hits pretty hard in a beer lacking much malt profile or body but in thirst quenching way. If I could easily get it on the east coast, this would be an ideal everyday beer ... at least when I don’t want to get bloated from Anchor Liberty ;-)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
IrishRed1983 (33) - USA - APR 24, 2006
Anchor Small beer (small being the operative word) pores a hazy gold with little head, little if any aroma, crisp "draw" but uneventful flavor, the beer is a good idea but isn’t a good beer