overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 570   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.69   EST. CALORIES: 99   ABV: 3.3%
The tradition of brewing two distinct beers from one mash has existed for thousands of years, and for centuries the term "small beer" was used in English to describe the lighter and weaker second beer. We make our Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale from the rich first runnings of an all-malt mash, and Anchor Small Beer is our attempt to duplicate the "small beers" of old by sparging that same mash: sprinkling warm water over the Old Foghorn mash after the first wort has run off, thereby creating a second, lighter brew from the resulting thinner wort. We believe you will find Anchor Small Beer delicious—similar to what modern brewers call a "bitter"—and we hope you will also enjoy the idea of reviving an ancient brewing tradition, which is something of great importance.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Sobchak (131) - Skagen, DENMARK - SEP 5, 2005
Faint malty aroma. Slight spicyness on the palate. Refreshing dry aftertaste. Not the most complex of beers, but you can hardly expect that from the style. Hats of to the breweries that still brew this type of ale !

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Aesir (130) - Tustin, California, USA - MAY 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2006 Definately a thin bodied brew that finishes quite bitter. But this is a thirst quencher. It may not have the fancy aroma or a diverse palate, but it’s good. I like this beer served as cold as it can get and then drink it down in big refreshing gulps. I also like the brewers attention to the history behind the beer--makes me feel like I’m learning something as I drink.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
rich42 (128) - USA - AUG 7, 2002
like someone took an esb and mixed it 50% with seltzer water. the bitterness stands out because there’s nothing else to it - maybe a slight hint of malt someplace. is strangely filling for how watered down it is. if you want something light and refreshing - get a bass instead. sometime’s there’s a good reason ’they don’t make them like that anymore’

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
DomiNate (123) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 15, 2004
Light golden brown pour. Thin white foamy head. Little roasty and malt smell. Taste is bitter and sticky. Not to bitter, but enough to notice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
johnluvsbeer (120) - Arizona, USA - MAR 15, 2012
Golden amber color-good carbonation level-has a decent head. Somewhat hoppy aroma.Bitterness is right upfront with minimal malt. A bit unbalanced in my opinion. Average mouthfeel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
blueduk (118) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - JAN 28, 2007
OH GOD! A beer with low alcohol and light on the hops! Better rate it low! The beer pours a rich, clear amber with a medium stark white bubbly head. I had very nice lacing left on the glass. Aromas are strongly malts. Whole grain bread, apple-fruity.There are some traces of hop aroma, but every time I think I latch on it slips away. Tease. Light on the palate, but full of flavor, this beer brings a mix of the malt grain flavor with some bittering. However, I think more of the brightness comes from the carbonation, which gives that little prickle. The beer has a pretty long finish, as well. I would drink this beer any day and enjoy it as much.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
drawde (115) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 20, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 10, 2007 I actually dig this, maybe I could get into small beers. It’s a legitimate, traditional small beer, and the other "small beers" I’ve seen aren’t. Aroma is bread and light malt. Golden, clear, and visible carbonation. Light, refreshing taste. Could drink it all day for nice easy rise to a buzz. Maybe a great football beer when all your buddies are drinking low-alcohol lagers, you can still drink an ale.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
StormCoat (110) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 17, 2011
Tasted a bottle that I got at Bevmo in San Diego, CA. Pours a fairly clear golden color, with a fizzy white head. Has a very light aroma of bready hops. Flavor is not very good...pretty much solely centered around a very one-dimensional, sharp bitterness that develops with each sip. Body is too light; I understand that this quality comes with this style of beer, but there needs to be more happening flavor-wise for the wateriness to be forgivable. As it stands, it just seems like a boring, thin, bitter beer. I had been wanting to try this one for a while, and I’m disappointed.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Doon (109) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JAN 12, 2008
I’m speechless...purchased/drank this at city beer in SF as I had not seen it before....I understand they use the dregs of the old Foghorn, but this one smells & tastes like someone wrung out a rotten dish rag into the bottle. Give me a BMC anyday over this one...Note to Anchor: just because you can "recycle" beer ingredients doesn’t mean you should...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Ida7999 (105) - Milford, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 22, 2003
- orangey, golden color, small foam head with a steady stream of bubbles, light aroma, hoppy with a light fruity sweetness; flavor is highly, highly bitter, yet not a tasty bitter – overbearing, malt is also very plain and thin – a poor showing from a great brewery