overall

RATINGS: 3413   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
First Brewed: 1896, First Modern Bottling: 1971

Alc. by Volume: 4.9%, Availability: Year-round, Malt: Blend of 2-Row Pale & Caramel, Hops: Northern Brewer

Anchor Steam® Beer owes its deep amber color, thick, creamy head, and rich, distinctive flavor to a historic brewing process like none other. It is a process that combines deep respect for craft brewing tradition with many decades of evolution to arrive at a unique approach: a blend of pale and caramel malts, fermentation with lager yeast at warmer ale temperatures in shallow open-air fermenters, and gentle carbonation in our cellars through an all-natural process called kräusening.

Anchor Steam® Beer derives its unusual name from the 19th century when “steam” was a nickname for beer brewed on the West Coast of America under primitive conditions and without ice. While the origin of the name remains shrouded in mystery, it likely relates to the original practice of fermenting the beer on San Francisco’s rooftops in a cool climate. In lieu of ice, the foggy night air naturally cooled the fermenting beer, creating steam off the warm open pans. Once a nickname for any Californian or West Coast beer brewed under these conditions, today the name “steam” is a trademark of Anchor Brewing and applies only to the singular process and taste of our flagship brand - San Francisco’s original Anchor Steam® Beer. The classic of American brewing tradition since 1896.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
leaparsons (8323) - Leicester, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - APR 22, 2004
Bottled. Appearance is red'n'brown with a small head. Aromas are light winter fruit and floral hops. Flavours are light berries and grapes. Actually a bit thin and pretty disappointing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - APR 20, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2004 Bottle. Very clear amber color with almost no head. Nose is soft and sweet. Taste is spicy, hoppy, and bitter and slightly nutty. Finish is dry and just a little sweet (I know, a contradiction). Palate is very clean, no thickness. I had this beer 10 years ago, back when I thought that Mickey's was the only good brew, and I hated it then. So, I was a bit aprehensive about it today. When I bought it this evening, I was thinking that I would hate this beer and I would have to give it a bad rating. But Christ, have my tastes changed! This is what I beleive every "American" beer should be. Anchor Steam should be the gold standard that other american beeres should be judged against. Great light summer beer with a deep flavor. A very, very satisfying beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jayson2425 (167) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - APR 18, 2004
It wasnt too bad of a beer. Had this one just to pass the time. Would probably get it again if i was drunk in town

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 17, 2004
I'd had this in bottles before and thought it was just fine enough, but on first tasting it on draft, my eyes and tastebuds blew wide open, and were all the happier for it! WOW!, what a difference freshness makes! Appearance: clear, bright amber hue, and a frothy, thick off-white head. Aroma: soft and clean, with hints of fruit, bread, cream, nuts. On the palate: smooth and fruity, with a small hop contingent, and very, very tasty. Body is light/ medium, texture is good, finish is long and friendly! The fruity flavor stays on the palate for the greatest portion of this drink, and continues to reward it's consumption. With every sip, the flavor jumps aboard with zeal and vigor, fresh and ready for the task (of refreshment!). Tasty, and tangy, and, again, very giving. A bright, beautiful hybrid beer that goes down smooth and easily, always accompanied by flavor. A great American brewing accomplishment, I always say! I'm forever glad there's always Anchor Steam around!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
OD40oz (773) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - APR 16, 2004
I always wanted to try this because Red Lobster has Anchor Steam Beer salt and pepper shakers. I was pretty impressed as I thought it would just taste like a normal American Standard beer but it had a great flavor. I would definitely have this again in the future.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Gorbalev (2957) - Ontario, CANADA - APR 16, 2004
Bottle. Treid for the first time, poured much lighter than expected, very frothy head. Slightly spicy / hoppy aroma. Very smooth for such a light beer, good malt character and slightly bitter finish. Decent, had better, but may buy again - good summer beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 12, 2004
I enjoy the spiciness of this. It is one of those beers that I find very refreshing and easy to drink. I could see myself chilling on this beer after mowing the lawn or something. The hoppy flavor mixed with a sweet and spicey flavor combines well.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
unclebleen (620) - California, USA - APR 7, 2004
Pours a light amber color with a big fluffy head. Aroma is very malty and the flavor is malt with some hops. Finish is dry. I used to really like this in college but it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ruffian (149) - montvale, New Jersey, USA - APR 6, 2004
Light bodied beer, yet with quite a bit of flavor. Malt along with some american hop notes. Good beer but way overpriced. $9.00/six.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JoeMcPhee (8569) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - APR 5, 2004
Amber colour with a white head that falls back to a thin layer that lasts to the bottom of the glass. Caramel malt aroma with some spiciness and an earthy characteristic. Flavour is quite good, rich maltiness with a zesty citrus and floral hop flavour. Some nice lasting bitterness. Although this was a good beer I don't understand the people who think that this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, there are tons of better beers out there.