overall

RATINGS: 3393   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
First Brewed: 1896, First Modern Bottling: 1971

Alc. by Volume: 4.9%, Availability: Year-round, Malt: Blend of 2-Row Pale & Caramel, Hops: Northern Brewer

Anchor Steam® Beer owes its deep amber color, thick, creamy head, and rich, distinctive flavor to a historic brewing process like none other. It is a process that combines deep respect for craft brewing tradition with many decades of evolution to arrive at a unique approach: a blend of pale and caramel malts, fermentation with lager yeast at warmer ale temperatures in shallow open-air fermenters, and gentle carbonation in our cellars through an all-natural process called kräusening.

Anchor Steam® Beer derives its unusual name from the 19th century when “steam” was a nickname for beer brewed on the West Coast of America under primitive conditions and without ice. While the origin of the name remains shrouded in mystery, it likely relates to the original practice of fermenting the beer on San Francisco’s rooftops in a cool climate. In lieu of ice, the foggy night air naturally cooled the fermenting beer, creating steam off the warm open pans. Once a nickname for any Californian or West Coast beer brewed under these conditions, today the name “steam” is a trademark of Anchor Brewing and applies only to the singular process and taste of our flagship brand - San Francisco’s original Anchor Steam® Beer. The classic of American brewing tradition since 1896.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - AUG 10, 2003
Blond beer with a medium half creamy head. Light yeasty floral fruity aroma and taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 8, 2003
Pretty nice, brown to red in color, small head. Aroma was slighty fruity. Flavor was like a brown ale. Somewhat dry finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - AUG 7, 2003
I was immediately put off by the smell. Then the taste blew me away. Now I understand why this is a style-I've never had anything like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
hotstuff (4226) - Indiana, USA - AUG 3, 2003
When poured, this beer had a medium sized off-white head along with fine-small bubbles that quickly diminished.The body was carbonated and clear.The hue was orange and the nose of this beer was medium malty.The lacing was good on the sides of my glass.The flavor had a bitter fore and aftertaste that lingered.The mouthfeel of this beer was smooth and thin.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
thedm (4963) - Fort Wayne, USA - AUG 1, 2003
This brew poured a large thick creamy head of mostly lasting off-white colored finely sized bubbles that left a good lacing. Its body is a transparent uncarbonated amber color and its aroma is a very mild matly one. The flavor is thinner that I expected, but still good with notes of malt, hops and mild caramel spice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sully (1377) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - JUL 30, 2003
My first agreeable beer from the US after having only tried the usual macro garbage many moons ago. The idea of a steam beer was new to me but with greater knowledge it said to me that a beer of this style has a good fruity aroma with a positive estery flavour. Good hop aroma and mouthfeel. Not a bad beer to be my 300th rating.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Boutip (4818) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 30, 2003
Extremely nice clear reddish/amber colour with a white head that disapear not too quickly. I can smell some spice. Taste is bitter with some roastiness. I was little bit surprise considering the colour of the beer but I enjoyed it very much. I can't wait to try other Anchor products!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Flipbrewer (33) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 30, 2003
First craftbrew I ever tasted (in '85). Nice golden amber color; toast-caramelly aroma and flavor with subtle fruitiness; woody-earthy hop aroma with an assertive but pleasant bitterness. Drink at 48-53F for a smooth, creamy mouthfeel and smoother bitterness; at colder temps I think it's a bit harsher. I much prefer draft ASB over the bottled product (would score the draft a few points higher).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 25, 2003
I nce little beer I got in a variety pack. Not bad. I would actually buy this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
EKGoldings (540) - Radford, Virginia, USA - JUL 25, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2003 One beer style that is unique to the US. The hybrid character is detectable as it doesn't have as much fruity esters as an ale but it certainly isn't as clean and smooth as a lager. Bitterness level is good, as are hops. Not flamboyant, not going to knock your socks off, but a nicely hopped beer for everyday.