overall

RATINGS: 3479   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
First Brewed: 1896, First Modern Bottling: 1971

Alc. by Volume: 4.9%, Availability: Year-round, Malt: Blend of 2-Row Pale & Caramel, Hops: Northern Brewer

Anchor Steam® Beer owes its deep amber color, thick, creamy head, and rich, distinctive flavor to a historic brewing process like none other. It is a process that combines deep respect for craft brewing tradition with many decades of evolution to arrive at a unique approach: a blend of pale and caramel malts, fermentation with lager yeast at warmer ale temperatures in shallow open-air fermenters, and gentle carbonation in our cellars through an all-natural process called kräusening.

Anchor Steam® Beer derives its unusual name from the 19th century when “steam” was a nickname for beer brewed on the West Coast of America under primitive conditions and without ice. While the origin of the name remains shrouded in mystery, it likely relates to the original practice of fermenting the beer on San Francisco’s rooftops in a cool climate. In lieu of ice, the foggy night air naturally cooled the fermenting beer, creating steam off the warm open pans. Once a nickname for any Californian or West Coast beer brewed under these conditions, today the name “steam” is a trademark of Anchor Brewing and applies only to the singular process and taste of our flagship brand - San Francisco’s original Anchor Steam® Beer. The classic of American brewing tradition since 1896.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Steib (613) - Queen Creek, Arizona, USA - DEC 22, 2003
It's been too long since I've had this beer. Nice floral hoppy nose. Has a nice amber color. Tangy hop character dominates, crisp and clean in the finish. It leaves with a bitter dry aftertaste. A beer that would be great with a seafood paring. Yes it is a little overpriced but still a good beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - DEC 21, 2003
I have to say I prefer the draft version over the bottle, although the bottle has nicer lacing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - DEC 20, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2003 An interesting beer. Deep orange body and a medium fast disappearing head. Malty nose. Hoppy and malty flavor. Very nice hop bitter aftertaste. Smooth palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
rightsaidleft (7) - Farmington, Michigan, USA - DEC 19, 2003 does not count
The beer that was immortalized in the NOFX song Scavenger Type. I'm not quite sure it was worth 13 quarters myself. It has a solid mildly hoppy taste to it. But that sharp bitter aftertaste is a bit too much for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2003
It has been a while since I've had this beer. It is still a very good beer. I love the clean crisp flavor that melds a nice hop bitterness and mild hop flavor with some malt background. The finish is a little bitter but not to bitter that it distracts from the overall flavor. A very good beer that I had before and will enjoy again in the future.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
StoutOrDeath (121) - USA - DEC 16, 2003
Beautiful color. Not too carbonated. The aroma is vaguely melon like. The taste has the same melon quality. Overall, an impressive beer. I'll have more in the future.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 1/20
Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 15, 2003
Dark gold, white head. Nose is mostly floral hops, taste is a nearly balanced mixture of floral and citrus hops and sweet caramel malt. An average beer with a high price tag.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
biermonk (265) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 13, 2003
On tap at Summits Wayside Tavern-Nice look to this beer-good amber color...Descent head..Floral nose...Flavor was very hoppy...descent beer but not their best offering

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
surfmurf (85) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 13, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2004 I searched a long time to find this beer in Philly. It is ledgendary in Dirk Pitt novels and I finally found it and purchased 2 six packs $12.00 each. I really wanted to love this beer but I was a bit disappointed at the aftertaste. Upon opening the bottle I was excited when I took in the sweet aroma and the deep caramel appearance which reminded me of Yuengling Lager. The head looks dark & frothy. The flavor was strong but bitter and an aftertaste that reminded me of Schlitz which we used to buy when we just wanted to drink cheap in the 70’s. I could have really enjoyed this beer if not for the after taste. If I want bitter I would have an ale but all the senses leading up to the taste were highly superior.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
thegreenrooster (3395) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 12, 2003
After 500 ratings what else is there to say. Nice amber color with a wonderful scent. Clean and refreshing, this can be drunk at any part of the year and it will satisfy