overall

RATINGS: 3518   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
First Brewed: 1896, First Modern Bottling: 1971

Alc. by Volume: 4.9%, Availability: Year-round, Malt: Blend of 2-Row Pale & Caramel, Hops: Northern Brewer

Anchor Steam® Beer owes its deep amber color, thick, creamy head, and rich, distinctive flavor to a historic brewing process like none other. It is a process that combines deep respect for craft brewing tradition with many decades of evolution to arrive at a unique approach: a blend of pale and caramel malts, fermentation with lager yeast at warmer ale temperatures in shallow open-air fermenters, and gentle carbonation in our cellars through an all-natural process called kräusening.

Anchor Steam® Beer derives its unusual name from the 19th century when “steam” was a nickname for beer brewed on the West Coast of America under primitive conditions and without ice. While the origin of the name remains shrouded in mystery, it likely relates to the original practice of fermenting the beer on San Francisco’s rooftops in a cool climate. In lieu of ice, the foggy night air naturally cooled the fermenting beer, creating steam off the warm open pans. Once a nickname for any Californian or West Coast beer brewed under these conditions, today the name “steam” is a trademark of Anchor Brewing and applies only to the singular process and taste of our flagship brand - San Francisco’s original Anchor Steam® Beer. The classic of American brewing tradition since 1896.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - JUN 29, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 22, 2003 Update: Had this while in San Fran last Friday night. I was at Pompei's Grotto after visiting Fisherman's Wharf. My only regret about my one night visit was that my party didn't want to eat somewhere that served brews from Speakeasy. The rating didn't change much, but I had to re-rate due to sampling at the source so to speak. Original Rate: 7-3-8-3-14. Had a bottle of this with dinner at Dave and Buster's last night. Light flowery aroma of citrus, spice, and perfume. Pours a clear sparkling honey. Average sized rocky off-white head - mostly lasting with good lacing. The body is light to medium, oily and fizzy. The balanced flavor starts sweet, with a citrus middle and a long complex rich finish. Very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
cathcacr (642) - Oregon, USA - JUN 29, 2002
Anchor’s ’signature’ brew brings us: nice orange to light amber color, enticing aroma, decent head retention, substantive hop taste, and a crisp, smooth finish. Just a nice, enjoyable brew and, for the price, really hard to beat. I was rather suprised, actually; I thought this would be rather undistinctive, but it’s well above-average. I’ll definitely buy this more, especially ’in a pinch’ as they say. Don’t know why I put off trying this one for so long, but I’m glad I’ve had it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
RichardGretton (4390) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - JUN 26, 2002
Very similar to English ales, but slighlt less hopped and slightly less bitter. Reasonable beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUN 24, 2002
I can’t believe people have rated this so highly. Nothing worth drinking here. No distinguishing good taste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ludi (32) - Reston, Virginia, USA - JUN 22, 2002
Great bottle. Refreshing, fruity, hoppy. A little too non-dememo for me, but a solid drink. Glad I tried it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Tom Servo (424) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUN 22, 2002
This stuff was way too hoppy for my tastes. It looks good, but it’s just not my style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 19, 2002
Michael Jackson puts this in list of the Top 10 American Beers. It’s a decent, hoppy West Coast example of a well-brewed craft micro.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - JUN 18, 2002
I dig this beer. Its not overly hopped and has nice balance leaning towards the malts. When I need a lighter style and refreshing beer - I go for this brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wiseblood (700) - Clarksville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 16, 2002
Rich, malty-sweet, but also bitter brew.Full head, amber color. Very well made. Great balance of flavors from one of the originals.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 16, 2002
Malty, caramel aroma, auburn, big toffee head. Malt flavour with good bitterness. Sweet, smooth and creamy. Very pleasant drink.