overall

RATINGS: 3561   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
First Brewed: 1896, First Modern Bottling: 1971

Alc. by Volume: 4.9%, Availability: Year-round, Malt: Blend of 2-Row Pale & Caramel, Hops: Northern Brewer

Anchor Steam® Beer owes its deep amber color, thick, creamy head, and rich, distinctive flavor to a historic brewing process like none other. It is a process that combines deep respect for craft brewing tradition with many decades of evolution to arrive at a unique approach: a blend of pale and caramel malts, fermentation with lager yeast at warmer ale temperatures in shallow open-air fermenters, and gentle carbonation in our cellars through an all-natural process called kräusening.

Anchor Steam® Beer derives its unusual name from the 19th century when “steam” was a nickname for beer brewed on the West Coast of America under primitive conditions and without ice. While the origin of the name remains shrouded in mystery, it likely relates to the original practice of fermenting the beer on San Francisco’s rooftops in a cool climate. In lieu of ice, the foggy night air naturally cooled the fermenting beer, creating steam off the warm open pans. Once a nickname for any Californian or West Coast beer brewed under these conditions, today the name “steam” is a trademark of Anchor Brewing and applies only to the singular process and taste of our flagship brand - San Francisco’s original Anchor Steam® Beer. The classic of American brewing tradition since 1896.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ENTROPY (141) - Terra Bella, California, USA - AUG 24, 2002
I actually like this brew. I would like a bit more abv. but still really good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Brew4Dug (139) - Houston, Texas, USA - AUG 22, 2002
The original "steam" brew! Somewhat hoppy with a fruity aftertaste. Well worth a sample, but I prefer the Liberty Ale over this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jcalbi (380) - Medford, New Jersey, USA - AUG 21, 2002
Crystal clean with a wonderful copper brown body and rich head. Quite bitter front that finishes clean and smooth. Just a nice fruity, hoppy ale. Very unique and readily available.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - AUG 19, 2002
This is a rerate for me, I am finding myself drinking more and more of this brew. It’s summer and this is really growing on me. The Anchor Porter is one of my two favorite american porters. But the original steam is moving up fast on me.

Slappy99 (3) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - AUG 18, 2002 does not count
I found this beer on a trip to SF a couple of years ago and now I can’t get it in Australia. I’m unhappy about that. I miss that beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Panzuriel (1467) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 17, 2002
My expectations were so much higher for this beer. It was a nice but rude awakening to the world of overly strong flavored beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cckevin (43) - Terre Haute, Indiana, USA - AUG 16, 2002
One of my standby favorites. I love just about everything about this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 16, 2002
Among my favorites; surprising I hadn’t rated it earlier. Nice amber color, nice relatively subdued hops. Well-balanced.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
slinkymello (137) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - AUG 15, 2002
solid beer; when the grocery store carries this, I get excited... quite hoppy as well, as most west coast brews happen to be. There’s a certain finish to all anchor products that I happen to enjoy

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
carcam3699 (5) - Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL - AUG 14, 2002 does not count
Ordinary bottle compromises interesting label. Great bouquet and flavor. Very enjoyable.