Anchor Zymaster Series No. 1 California Lager

overall
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 625   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Our California Lager is also a single-hop beer, using only fresh, whole Cluster hops, all descended from an old line originally grown in California. Cluster has a long history as a ďdual-purpose hopĒ for both bittering and aroma, which creates a flavor profile like no other. Brewed with San Francisco tap water, fresh from Yosemite, and fermented with our own special strain of lager yeast, our California Lager is kršusened in the traditional manner and lagered in our cellars. The result is a uniquely sessionable lager beer, which is maltier, hoppier, and somewhat stronger than modern American lagers. Its brilliant golden color, lingering effervescence, balanced depth of flavor, distinctive aroma, and smooth finish make this inaugural brew of the Anchor Brewing Zymasterô Series a delightful tribute to the rich heritage and traditions of California brewing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
KW92 (870) - ❤ WARSZAWA ❤, POLAND - FEB 5, 2016

WYGLĄD: Barwa złota, klarowne. Piana drobno i średnio pęcherzykowa, średniej wysokości, krůtka.
AROMAT: Średnio intensywny. Standardowo: słodowow-ziołowe/trawiaste.
SMAK: Słodowe. Goryczka niska, krůtka.
OG”LNIE: Cůż powiedzieć? Zwykły lager. Czego więcej można wymagać od pospolitego "jasnego", gdy nie jest to hybryda? Ale co ważne, zupełnie pozbawiony jest wszelkich wad sensorycznych, a jak wiemy jest to zmorą większości lagerůw. Opłaca się je kupić choćby růwnież ze względu na uroczy kapsel z niedźwiedziem (od wewnętrznej strony).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Quick3Beers (631) - East Falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 2, 2016
A nice full lager from Anchor. Big malty flavor but with sufficient bitterness, wish more lagers were like this. Good beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
tommann (3110) - Dudley, West Midlands, ENGLAND - JAN 29, 2016
355ml bottle. Pours orange gold with a large head. Aroma is sweet with corn and a little grass. Taste is dry and flinty. Medium bitter finish. Pretty one sided and basic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mr_h (4205) - Ayr, SCOTLAND - JAN 28, 2016
355ml bottle at home, from Marks & Spencer, High Street, Ayr (bb 28 Feb 2017), oaty, malty aroma, straw with a thin, lively, off-white head, oaty with a hint of citrus, creamy, carbonation on the high side, malty aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
kacyper (820) - Łęczna, POLAND - JAN 15, 2016
Butelka. Aromat słodowy, trochę jakby karton. W smaku goryczka lekka, słodowe.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
minutemat (3274) - Shrewsbury, Shropshire, ENGLAND - DEC 18, 2015
330ml bottle from Ales by Mail. Pours clear gold, white head. Aroma is soft, sweet malt. Taste is smooth, clean sweet malts with a moderate bitterness. Decent lager.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Prufrockstar (1699) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 15, 2015
In which I live up to the first half of my RB name.

So tonight I figured Iíd hit Mikkeller for dinner and a beer or two. I head over there at 6:00 and the place is fucking packed, and Iím like, "nope, not waiting in a line to spend too much on beer." So I went back to my hotel, watched some football, talked to my family, and ironed my poster for tomorrow. By 8:30 Iím thinking I should give food another go, and since I donít have a better plan I go back to Mikkeller again. I donít even know why -- thereís nothing on draft Iím dying to try and I donít even like the place to tell you the truth. But whatever, Iím in a rut, so I head back. And itís less busy now ... but still way too busy. So Iím all "fuck this, Iím gonna go get food somewhere else," and I head into the Tenderloin in search of food. I never found any, but I found something better -- Emperor Nortonís Boozeland. This place is chill, and even though there are no empty spots at the first bar around the other side is mostly empty. I stake out a spot and order this beer. And itís fucking great. Cold, crisp, refreshing, crushable. I could drink this all night. Seriously, the feeling drinking this is that itís the best beer Iíve had all trip, and that says something considering I was at Russian River and City Beer yesterday. Now all thatís missing is somebody to talk to. Iím sitting all alone in my own little corner of the bar (while still being *at* the bar ... just half behind a wall). And so Iím sitting there, crushing this fucking great beer that I could drink all night, staring off into a corner thinking about what an introverted weirdo Iíve turned out to be, when out of nowhere a guy in an ill-fitting suit walks over to me, and says, "hey ... you here all alone? I donít want to impose, I mean, who knows, maybe this what you want to do. But Iím here with a bunch of people, we just had a work christmas party, and weíre all on the other side of that wall -- you know, if you want to hang out and talk to people." I shit you not, this is what he said to me, just as Iím reflecting on how lonely the night is turning out to be and my inexplicable inability to just reach out and connect with another human being. Iím not sure if heís hitting on me or not, but we chat for a few minutes and it all seems cool before he reiterates the invite and heads back to his party, and Iím thinking this sounds like it could be exactly what tonight needs. The bartender sees my empty glass and asks if I want another, to which I reply, "I ... donít know. Maybe? ... No, think Iíll call it a night."

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jjsint (1803) - Stuntney, Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND - DEC 11, 2015
Bottle from Artisan Tap, Bedford. Light gold and clear, with a bit of full white head on top. Light grainy aroma, sharp suggestion of lime. Fresh taste with some unexpected intense bitterness toward the finish. Competent and certainly enjoyable, if not particularly exciting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fkoolen (747) - Maastricht, NETHERLANDS - DEC 9, 2015
Taster at Anchor Brewery, San Francisco. Clear golden colour, white foamy head. Sweet, lightly acidic and nicely grainy malty lager. Medium body and carbonation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
djoeye (2887) - TromsÝ, NORWAY - DEC 6, 2015
Look; off white head, clear golden body. Aroma; yellow apple, leafy soft sweet hops, juicy tart cream, white bread, sweet malts. Taste; hops, appleíish malts, grains, leaves - leading to a finish with coming hops. Palate; normal. Overall; lager with hops. Ok. [35.5cl br btl, abv4.9, BB.3.3.2017, B@Alko Muonio]