overall
Brewed by Klosterbrauerei Andechs
Style: Doppelbock
Andechs, Germany

RATINGS: 976   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 213   ABV: 7.1%
This is it! The powerful, full-bodied, strong beer which is Andechs’s trademark. Brewed in the traditional Triple Mash procedure and available throughout the year, not just during the "Starkbierzeit"!

When the evening passes into dusk and the day draws to a close, time goes a little slower. Just the right time for a glass of Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel. Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel – mouthcoating, velvety, strong This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head. Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness. Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip (original extract: 18.5%, abv: over 7.1%).

jtmoney99 (9) - SUNY ALBANY, New York, USA - SEP 9, 2001 does not count

Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 30, 2004
The quest for this beer has taken me through many years. Firstly, this beer smells so malty, with hints of dough that make your nose want to stay sniffing the glass. The beer poured a clear, deep amber/brown color with a thick off-white head. The flavor was very balanced with a great maltiness. The finish was great which made this beer even more outstanding. This beer is truly worth a perfect score as it is now my favorite beer for the style and one of my all time favorites. Well worth the wait and very highly recommended.

TheBeerLover (1025) - DC Metro Area, USA - JAN 28, 2006
Kloster Andechs is a monastery on top of a mountain that sits in the shadow of the Bavarian Alps. The monastery grounds are absolutely beautiful and is surrounded by rich farm land which is owned and worked by the Kloster. Why Andechs is important to a beer lover, is the fact that the Benedictine monks that established this Kloster, also established a brewery in 1455. The Rule of St. Benedict is, as a monk, you have to live by the work of your hands. The work these monks do at Andechs is the brewing some of the most incredible beer on the planet. I have tasted thousands of beers in my life time as a beer drinker, and Andechs Dopplebock Dunkel could possibly be the best beer I have ever tasted in all my years of drinking. It is most certainly the most impressive dopple bock I have ever tried, and drinking a one liter mass of this beer fresh vom fass was a spiritual experience for me. Andechs Dopplebock Dunkel pours to a beautiful, bright, chestnut color with a thick and creamy tan head, and a moderate amount of carbonation. The nose on this beer is wonderful with deep toasty, nutty and sweet malty aromas. This leads in to a sweet malty, toasty, and nutty palate on a round, smooth, clean, and polished body. Andechs Dopplebock Dunkel finishes with more deep malt character up front, then ends with just enough hop bitterness to take the cloying edge off this beer. There is also a nice subtle, peppery alcohol burn that lingers with flavors of malt on the tongue. Stylistically this beer is flawless. As a dopple bock it is perfect. It is a master piece of the brewer’s art. I’ve had some tremendous dopple bocks in my day, but I am yet to taste one that is better than this beer. I can not put into words the depth of malt aromas and flavors in this beer, and how fantastic this beer really is. You will just have to come to Germany to try this one for yourself, as it is not exported to the US. I was fortunate enough to enjoy 2 liters of this one on a wonderful trip to Andechs, and encourage anyone who is going to Bavaria to take a day trip out to the Kloster.

tnkw01 (1160) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 19, 2009
Recently, Tried this on a trip to europe, at the Andech’s Monastary. This is now the best beer I have ever tasted. In my opinion this is the most under-rated beers on the entire web site. Nice malty flavor. Smells like paradise. Everyone who loves dark beers has to try this one once in there life.

kennyrpd (1) - Rochester, USA - DEC 17, 2011 does not count
Had a litre stein this beer at the Monastary from a cask. Dark read color with little head and what little head it has diminishes quickly. Great mouth feel. Not as malty as most Dopplebocks like Ayinger Celebrator or Paulaner Salvator. This is my all time favorite beer!

MoisesPrieto (5) - Madrid, SPAIN - JAN 12, 2013 does not count
Madre mía.... En buen hora he descubierto esta sublime Dopplebock. Tiene algo de caramelo y de café, quizá, de frutos secos, acaso, y yo qué sé qué más, sin dudarlo. Me encanta!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
coloradobeerguy99 (2) - USA - SEP 30, 2001 does not count
Outstanding beer...really mild for a strong beer...a real find!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Pastor (797) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - OCT 25, 2008
Bottle poured into a large Pilsener Glass brought forth a large of white head that lasted a while .The body of this brew was crystal clear and dark brown with some ruby highlights in color. This thing is pretty it looks better than a touched up print add. This is a nice light aroma, not what I expected from a dark brew. Very subtle bread and sweetness with an almost undetectable roasted malts note in the end. This is what a doppelbock should be, yes I have found the standard bearer. This is sweet and malty but at the same time earthy so as to keep the sweetness in check. I can’t find any alcohol present in the flavors. Smooth, creamy and rich comes to mind when trying to describe what I feel in my mouth I am already sad seeing this on drain from my glass, if I make it to Germany this will be my beer of choice I just have to end this review with, Prosit!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
PacNWDad (92) - Washington, USA - SEP 26, 2011
This is truly one of the best, if not the best, lager yeast beers I have had. You have to go to the brewery and have the fresh stuff on draft. The bottled, shipped beer does not compare. When I drink it, I imagine myself relaxing on the slopes of the Zugspitze, and eating some fine sausage with the beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
TGL (3) - GERMANY - NOV 10, 2012 does not count
Tap@Kloster Andechs, Maß (1 litre). Rich, creamy texture, warm, copperly appearance. Special aroma with malt, bread and notes of nuts. Definetivly not alcoholic. Lively carbonated, better than the sold bottles. Best Beer I ever had.