overall

RATINGS: 1614   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
With its deep, dark brown-black color, thick, full-bodied, velvety-smooth mouth feel, mocha character, and, strong yet subtle hop bite, Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is one of the thickest, richest, and most complex stouts on the market today.

rhapsouldize (174) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 27, 2004
Nice tasting, medium bodied stout. Medium tan head that dissipated a bit more quickly than I would have liked. Black in color; mocha, malty and smoky flavors. A bit too hoppy for me, stout-wise.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 23, 2004
Sweet coffee and chocolate, with nice roasted malt flavors. Had a slight metallic taste too, but overall a good sweet stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - FEB 14, 2004
Dark, rich flavor.. light head but yet such a worth of tasting. Thick texture, but not too much.. I will drink this agian, just not for breakfast... :)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - FEB 11, 2004
Almost opaque blackness under frothy tan head. Aroma hints of coffee, chocolate, licorice. Creamy, full bodied flavor with a roasted coffee touch. Very good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - FEB 9, 2004
Aroma has notes of chocolate, roasted grains, and caramel. Dark brown-black color, medium sized tan head (yeah, it looks like the picture). Flavor is the same as the aroma, with a surprising hop bitterness coming through in the finish. Pretty full-bodied, but not as creamy as some other oatmeal stouts. Overall, its not bad, but there are better oatmeal stouts out there.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - FEB 8, 2004
I'm hoping that the one I tried was from a bad batch or something, because it was horrible. No head, extremely watery on the palate, and absolutely no hints of oatmeal (pretty bad for an oatmeal stout). I was really disappointed with this one. I hope others by AV don't follow suit.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
craven5000 (98) - Westville, Indiana, USA - FEB 8, 2004
Small brown head that fell quickly. Dark brown or black with medium body. Sweet at first, followed by a coffee like taste that turned into a strong burnt coffee. Very smooth. The burnt taste was a bit strong and wasn't as refined as I was hoping. I’ve had better and will have better, but it is definitely drinkable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bsour (78) - Boise, Idaho, USA - FEB 7, 2004
No head. Subdued aroma with a slight coffee smell. Dark brown, almost black. Too much carbonation. Nothing what I expected for an oatmeal stout. It does not possess the smooth characteristics that are inherent to most oatmeal stouts. It will be a long time before I buy another one of these.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Erdrick (21) - JAPAN - JAN 30, 2004
Upon pouring, carbonation quickly settled into a tan head. Creamy and soft looking. The body is very dark, and when held to light a tan-ruby color could be seen. Coffee and chocolate scents could be immediately sensed. Lighter vanilla and fig aromas were given off. I could sense a very roasted flavor to this brew. While the hops were strong, the bitterness quickly faded after drinking. Smooth beer that is an enjoyable drink!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hershiser2 (1208) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 29, 2004
I paid $1.69 for a 12-oz single. Holy smokes! I was away from the computer when I reviewed this beer on paper. I couldn't wait to get back here and post this one! Black- inch of fluffy, creamy looking brown head. Light, only when held up to a VERY high wattage bulb, will trickle through here. One gorgeous brew. Sweet chocolate scent. WOW! Just about knocks me on my ass it's so good! Perfectly balanced. Cold coffee-- the best (THE BEST, I say) cold coffee I've had- slight hints of chocolate and winter fruits linger within... wow. VERY smooth and creamy- a dream come true! OUTSTANDING beer. I wish I would have picked up more than a single... well, this beer alone is enough to make me go to the beer store tomorrow =)