overall

RATINGS: 1620   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
With its deep, dark brown-black color, thick, full-bodied, velvety-smooth mouth feel, mocha character, and, strong yet subtle hop bite, Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is one of the thickest, richest, and most complex stouts on the market today.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
manisthebeer (240) - squamish, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 30, 2013
it smelt amazing and looked even better but the flavour reminded me of a porter not what i was expecting

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Peter_L (615) - SWEDEN - OCT 6, 2012
Burk från Systembolaget. Färg mörk. Kompakt skum. Mjuk munkänsla. Tydlig chokladarom och lite kaffe.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - JUL 17, 2001
A very over-rated beer. The flavors are watery and bitter, and not the good kind of bitter; more of a staleness. I’ve tried it several times, so I know its not just one bad bottle. I did a side by side taste-off between this and Shakespeare Stout, and this one got blown away, not even close.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Heatwaves (54) - Santa Ana, California, USA - AUG 1, 2005
In the immortal words of Sesame Street, "One of these kids is not like the other, one of thes kids is not the same." I thoroughly did not enjoy this beer. It had a great deep dark color and rich caramel-colored head, but that was as good as it got. Each sip conveyed strong coffee overtones and each one tasted as if the coffee beans were badly burnt... by the surface of the sun. For an oatmeal stout and a sweet stout, I was expecting some subtle hints of sweetness. The ’subtle hints’, however, turned out to be sour punches of bitterness that lingered to an aftertaste as refreshing as an ashtray. A slightly bitter ashtray. On a final note, the previous reviewer described this beer’s "tapestry of flavor", and I can entirely relate because it certainly tasted no better than an area rug that hasn’t been vacuumed in a while.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Folkstar (6) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - APR 21, 2006 does not count
Not bad, but a little dissapointing. The taste is nice and tart, but the aftertase lacks a little something I can’t put my tongue one. Don’t pass up this beer without trying it, but, I’d rather drink an Ale and eat a bowl of oatmeal instead.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
rick_91709 (150) - USA - FEB 17, 2013
Pours inky black with a big long-lasting head. Smells kind of syrupy. Not very flavorful. What little flavor there is, is not very good. Leaves a sweet aftertaste. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - APR 24, 2002
Higher rating than what I thought I’d give it. Not only could I feel the lumps of oatmeal in this, but I swear it made me halucinate so bad the Quaker Fuckin’ Oats guy just flew across the room.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - FEB 8, 2004
I'm hoping that the one I tried was from a bad batch or something, because it was horrible. No head, extremely watery on the palate, and absolutely no hints of oatmeal (pretty bad for an oatmeal stout). I was really disappointed with this one. I hope others by AV don't follow suit.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
That1Guy (1882) - Greeley, Colorado, USA - AUG 15, 2012
12 oz can pours a nice, thick black with a fluffy, tan head. Gotta try this one again. Highly oxidized with acetaldehyde on top of it. Aromas and flavors of cardboard and squash with a bitter, medicinal bite at the end. Bummer.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
SirLimpsalot (2066) - SWEDEN - SEP 24, 2012
Prov för ölskribenter på Systembolaget: mycket tunn både doft och smak. En liten hint av bröd och aska. Allt för blaskig.