overall

RATINGS: 1620   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
With its deep, dark brown-black color, thick, full-bodied, velvety-smooth mouth feel, mocha character, and, strong yet subtle hop bite, Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is one of the thickest, richest, and most complex stouts on the market today.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DAYtheELF (7) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 23, 2007 does not count
Pours dark with medium, creamy head. Has a deep, smooth taste that goes right down. An exceptional stout in bottle and on tap.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
tyanow (10) - California, USA - JUL 18, 2009
Almost opaque, with a light brown head. Roasted, malty, cereal smell and flavor that both bear sweet hints of chocolate and nut. Smooth and full body with a perfect tad of bitterness. This is as good of an oatmeal stout as I have ever found, and I seek them out.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bseribeer (128) - Illinois, USA - FEB 5, 2011
Aroma is dark chocolate with hints of malt. Pours an opaque, dark brown, daresay black with a rich, tan head. Tastes rich in dark chocolate, with light tones of coffee. Full bodied on the tongue, with light carbonation. Label states that it is a Gold Medal Winner and this stout deserves to brag about it. Excellent

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Aluman (21) - Grants, New Mexico, USA - MAY 7, 2013
This quite probably the best Oatmeal Stout in america, and a contender for best over all. Pleasant mix of fresh oats and roasted chocolate combine for a very pleasing smell. A decent head with excellent lacing in a 16oz pint glass. The taste is thick and savory, nutty sweetness blends in well to form an almost perfect combination, there is a hop presence but its mild enough the bitterness doesn’t interfere.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
YogiBeera (2450) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 22, 2002
Sweat Outmeál and fruity aroma. Nice black colour with a wonderful big head. Espressotaste with fruit. Fullmouth Palate, kicks on roof of th mouth. Very interesting beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hershiser2 (1208) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 29, 2004
I paid $1.69 for a 12-oz single. Holy smokes! I was away from the computer when I reviewed this beer on paper. I couldn't wait to get back here and post this one! Black- inch of fluffy, creamy looking brown head. Light, only when held up to a VERY high wattage bulb, will trickle through here. One gorgeous brew. Sweet chocolate scent. WOW! Just about knocks me on my ass it's so good! Perfectly balanced. Cold coffee-- the best (THE BEST, I say) cold coffee I've had- slight hints of chocolate and winter fruits linger within... wow. VERY smooth and creamy- a dream come true! OUTSTANDING beer. I wish I would have picked up more than a single... well, this beer alone is enough to make me go to the beer store tomorrow =)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
FuntonBunton (61) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - OCT 2, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2005 The best oatmeal stout I’ve had yet. I was left wanting more. Full body, full flavor, with hints of chocolate. So dark that people thought I was drinking cola. Probably the best beer that I’ve had yet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TJay7481 (79) - Altamonte Springs, Florida, USA - APR 16, 2011
This beer was my kind of stout. velvety smooth and rich. Like most stouts pours very dark with a light brown top next to a small head. Aroma of caramel, malt, chocolate and vanilla. This stout was very easy to drink and had a very soft hop flavor and bitterness right on the back end. This was a nice drink. I will be getting this one again for sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nathanh5 (9) - Alexandria, Alabama, USA - MAY 11, 2011 does not count
Fantastic, sweet stout!! Great, malty aroma, nice dark, opaque appearance with chocolate colored three finger head and almost total lacing on the glass. The taste made me fall in love with it!! Mouth feel is creamy and thick, very little bitterness, with roasted malts, chocolate and coffee on the finish. This is a great stout, highly recommended!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
drpimento (2186) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 28, 2011
I wrote a review for this years ago and it’s disappeared. It was one of my first high end oatmeal stouts and set the standard. Served at a good temperature and I poured a small to medium sized tan head that settled to a light cover that lasted all the way down and some lace. Color is an opaque black brown. Aroma is malt, roast, cocoa, hint vanilla. Flavor’s like nose with just right carbonic tang and some bitterness that all balance just right. Body is full and carbonation is exactly right. Finish is like flavor that slowly taper over a while. World class beer.