overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 593   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
A full body, ambrosial maltiness, and an arousing hoppy bite. This beer is not for the light beer drinker or those desiring no aftertaste.
Note: Formerly known as Belk's ESB.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
orville (160) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - APR 6, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2007 By far the best ESB i’ve ever had. Like having a Fullers ESB, but more flavorful. Has an aroma of darjeeling tea and hops. Flavor of pure water, then a hop wallop followed by lingering hops smoothing out by that lovely water taste. It’s like a symphony on the tongue.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MrHoppsworth (47) - USA - AUG 20, 2004
My new favorite beer.About as well balanced as I could expect. Hops are very present but not overpowering,and the malts are as tasty as can be. I was very pleasantly surprised by this brew,and while it has a nice rating I believe this brew should be rated higher.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HammerHead99 (12) - California, USA - DEC 19, 2001
One of my favorite ESBs. Great mouthfeel-- uses local soft water. Nice hoppiness. Overall great flavor, something that I could just keep drinking until I pass out.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mikey (503) - farmington, Utah, USA - OCT 13, 2004
It poured a clear orange-gold with a light creamy head. Ringlets and lace fall throughout. More hops than malt in the nose, but both are present. The hops are fruity and citrusy. A very nice balance. There’s pleanty of toasty malt up front and a good balanced hops. Grapefruit and floral bitters are the predominant flavors. This is a full bodied ESB, hoppier than most. This is very drinkable and it’s the best ESB i’ve tried.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nazzty (820) - Ödåkra - Helsingborg, SWEDEN - OCT 30, 2013
Good ground and fine malt body with sleek, bitter and long finish. Tastes and smells quality from the first sip to the last.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - AUG 20, 2002
I consider this the mother of west coast ales. Fine, deep malt perfectly accented by citrus cascade hops. Bitter, stunning finish. Wonderful lacing on the glass. I am so glad they’ve made this available in 12oz on our fair coast.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Twentys (41) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - SEP 20, 2005
At first a fruity whiff, ok head, fluffy at first but disapaited quickly. Hazy amber. Delicious nutty taste. Could be a little more bitter, for all the hops you get.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
groovinhigh (170) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - JUN 6, 2000
A fine ESP. Malty, with a hint of hop.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - JUN 25, 2001
Probably the best I’ve tried from AV. Perfectly balanced chocolate malt and citric hop. Versatile ale that would work well any time and any place

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JUN 25, 2003
I love everything I have tried from Anderson Valley. Reminded me somewhat of Pyramid Apricot Ale, but I was more mesmerized by the lacing of this ale the more I drank of it. Overly hoppy and I love that, bittersweet in the aftertaste, this beer had everything that I was craving, very fulfilling.