overall

RATINGS: 989   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Each year, when people are starting to unpack their winter clothes and replenish their firewood, our tiny brewery in the coastal redwoods of Northern California makes seasonal preparations of a different kind. As the cold arrives, we release a unique beverage created to add warmth to even the coldest and darkest of winter's days. Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale begins with a very high original gravity to create a hearty and spicy brew with a deep amber hue and a smooth finish. Anderson Valley Brewing Company wishes you the very best for the holiday season and the New Year.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TAR (2445) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - DEC 23, 2001
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2005 Bubble gum-caramel malt aroma. Starts fruity, tart, and winey. Finishes dry and slightly bitter with some toasted flavors. Wonderful hazy deep orange color. No head at all. I agree with user_ex as it is on the spritzy side. But hey, hats off to these guys for making a unique, enjoyable winter beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
HammerHead99 (12) - California, USA - DEC 19, 2001
I wait for this beer every year. This winter beer has a nice spicy taste and goes down well like all the Anderson Valley line of beers. You gotta watch out for the alc content though. I got some chilling in the fridge as we speak. I think Iíll go get it now.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - DEC 6, 2001
Ratebeer.com doesnít seem to have the proper category for this one. Itís not íSpice/Herb/Vegetableí; itís íCream Sodaí. Really. It tastes just like cream soda. Itís even really tightly carbonated, so it fizzes like cream soda. I mean, not to say it wasnít enjoyable, but if I wanted cream soda, Iíd probably have cream soda.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fuchebu (146) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 5, 2001
This one is spicy and pleasingly balanced. Nice kick without being punishing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ravidesai (947) - Bombay, INDIA - NOV 29, 2001
great winter brew. nice and dark. aroma of caramel and butterscotch. initial tsate is sweet and gives the impression of a lot of alcohol. however the hops kick in later and this mellows out nicely to a very smooth beverage.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
40oz (181) - Newport Beach, California, USA - NOV 29, 2001
Fruity (pear or apple?) aroma with a creamy shiny head. Caramel, coffee flavor well balanced with a slight hop taste. Did not notice any hop bitterness until I drank the second half of the beer after eating a scoop of ice cream which dulled my sweet receptors. Smooth delicious beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - NOV 24, 2001
Winter brews are fast growing on me. Nice presentation, dark cararmel/copper in color, somewhat of a light fruit taste appears with a slight hop finish. I enjoyed this. Nice ABV kick start and although I donít like to use an overused term, it is smooth. Thanks to Joe (user_experience) for sending this my way.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 12, 2001
When drinking this, I made a mental note that I should rate it in the high 3ís. Itís the type of beer I would expect to be pretty popular with beer drinkers. Solid flavor, nicely hopped. It says above this is seasonal and I had this from the tap, so I guess I had this yearís version.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - FEB 25, 2001
A strictly top-shelf winter ale. Malt profile is strongly redolent of pie-crust, as well as caramel and apples. At 6.7%, it goes down oh-so smooth. This one is unique, and a true must-try for serious beer fans.